I am not sure what's going on with my Powder Blue convict Parrot. Please help!

BabyBlue33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powder blue convict parrot has been suffering from swollen abdomen and lack of buoyancy for about 2 weeks now. I have been medicating the water column with canaplex and Metroplex and also her food with the aforementioned medications along with Focus and garlic guard. I am also using Kordon's Fish Protector in hopes that it will deliver the medication more efficiently. My little girl is in a hospital tank with her favorite cave and plenty of air stones. I have a filter running with just algon, a water softening pillow, and seekem Matrix for beneficial bacteria. The temperature is 81° and all of the water parameters seem to be in healthy ranges. I also have been giving her one to two Epsom salt baths per day. When she is in the magnesium Sulfate bath, she seems to have much better Mobility and buoyancy. She also eats when in her bath. When I put her back in her Hospital tank, she tends to go back to her Rock cave and float upside down or sideways. She has been showing signs of improvement from a week ago when she wouldn't even attempts to eat. I just want to get her back to the precious little troublemaker that she is. This is just painful to watch. Does anybody have any advice? I don't know what is going on with her exactly. I thought it was dropsy at first, but it could be a swim bladder issue, or something internal whether it's bacterial or viral. I am kind of at a loss at this point. Please help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My powder blue convict parrot has been suffering from swollen abdomen and lack of buoyancy for about 2 weeks now. I have been medicating the water column with canaplex and Metroplex and also her food with the aforementioned medications along with Focus and garlic guard. I am also using Kordon's Fish Protector in hopes that it will deliver the medication more efficiently. My little girl is in a hospital tank with her favorite cave and plenty of air stones. I have a filter running with just algon, a water softening pillow, and seekem Matrix for beneficial bacteria. The temperature is 81° and all of the water parameters seem to be in healthy ranges. I also have been giving her one to two Epsom salt baths per day. When she is in the magnesium Sulfate bath, she seems to have much better Mobility and buoyancy. She also eats when in her bath. When I put her back in her Hospital tank, she tends to go back to her Rock cave and float upside down or sideways. She has been showing signs of improvement from a week ago when she wouldn't even attempts to eat. I just want to get her back to the precious little troublemaker that she is. This is just painful to watch. Does anybody have any advice? I don't know what is going on with her exactly. I thought it was dropsy at first, but it could be a swim bladder issue, or something internal whether it's bacterial or viral. I am kind of at a loss at this point. Please help

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Can you post pictures and a short video? I want to be sure to rule out dropsy versus swim bladder issues.

What concentration of Epsom salts are you using?

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back