I assume these are dinos. Would appreciate advice.

sirburke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture below is from my 55 gallon tank that just completed its 14th week. I have 5 small fish and 2 corals (1 soft and 1 hammer) and various cleanup crew (hermit crabs and snails). All critters seem to be doing fine. About three weeks ago this brownish stuff showed up along with a reddish patch in the middle that I assume was cyano bacteria. I managed to get almost all of the red substance off the gravel in the last water change but now the brown substance has taken its place.

Parameters: Ph 8.1, Ammonia and Nitrite 0, Nitrate .05, Alk 8.7, Calcium 482, Phosphate .104, Mag 1500, salinity 34.4, Temp 77.8...first 4 API, all others Hanna.

Lights 60% blue spectrum and 0 red and green, 14% white...2 AI Prime. Recently reduced - one week In running about 8 hours total with 3 hours of that being ramp.

Any thoughts as to strategy?

Thanks.

image.jpg

Heart of Dixie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like dinos. Do you have a microscope? An inexpensive one will do the trick. There are many different types of dinos and there are some really great threads on R2R that will help you identify what you are battling. Did you start with dry rock & sand? If so, some real ocean bacteria might help. Check out Indo Pacific Sea Farms. Besides that I would get nitrates up to 5 to 10 and purchase a Salifert or equal nitrate test kit. Patience is a virtue here. Don't go throwing every quick fix in and expect over night success.
I wish you well with the fight.

Last edited:

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, dinos can have many different appearances. What you have does resemble a dino mat starting to take shape AND they do seem to like to thrive with cyano mats as well some times.

But, a young tank will also have diatom blooms that can also look like this!

A good investment....Amscope M150C microscope! I use mine often since battling dinos!

Without a definite microscope pic, it is just a shot in the dark to guess what you have present there! Your nitrates are low and your phosphates are high...crazy swings like that will bring on cyano as well...which comes in many different colors as well. Plus, if dinos are present, the scope will allow us to determine the type of dino....and therefore a better treatment plan.

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. Affected my tank and killed more than half of my corals for over a month. Tried everything. What finally worked for me was to turn the tank lights off for 72 hours and then back on for 2 days and off again for another 72. Make sure to get fresh carbon because if it’s the same type I had it releases toxins and kills corals. If the corals get covered with it blow them off with a baster but nothing else. This is what worked for me in the end and depending on your type may or may not work for you. Other things I tried before this: added more bacteria, ran my lights less, fed more, fed less, added a uv, added pods, dosed live phytoplankton, Added more CUC...the list goes on. Good luck! Post something when you find what works for you!

OP
OP
S

sirburke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. Affected my tank and killed more than half of my corals for over a month. Tried everything. What finally worked for me was to turn the tank lights off for 72 hours and then back on for 2 days and off again for another 72. Make sure to get fresh carbon because if it’s the same type I had it releases toxins and kills corals. If the corals get covered with it blow them off with a baster but nothing else. This is what worked for me in the end and depending on your type may or may not work for you. Other things I tried before this: added more bacteria, ran my lights less, fed more, fed less, added a uv, added pods, dosed live phytoplankton, Added more CUC...the list goes on. Good luck! Post something when you find what works for you!
Thanks all for the feedback. I will look to get a microscope.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back