I believe my mag is spitting. Can they both stay in this same rock?

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's been with me for 30 months and It's been 2 or 3 weeks since I noticed her mouth was swollen. A few days ago she began to move from her normal position on top of this rock towards the back.

Then it began stretching in 2 different directions but it didn't go through. Today she's lime this.

If she completes the split, can they both stay on top of the same rock? Are they good at sharing the space? I don't have anywhere else to put another mag without removing something big.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's been with me for 30 months and It's been 2 or 3 weeks since I noticed her mouth was swollen. A few days ago she began to move from her normal position on top of this rock towards the back.

Then it began stretching in 2 different directions but it didn't go through. Today she's lime this.

If she completes the split, can they both stay on top of the same rock? Are they good at sharing the space? I don't have anywhere else to put another mag without removing something big.

From what I understand they can stay next to each other. If one gets unhappy it may move though.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thatks. I really hope so, the 3 clowns would love to have 2 anemones.

I have read that they usually split through the mouth though.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question about staying on the same rock, I think it’s possible if the rock is a stand alone island with sand all around it. Otherwise it will move.

Remember to cover your powerhead for when it fully splits.

@Reefahholic I know you have direct experience with a split in the past.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question about staying on the same rock, I think it’s possible if the rock is a stand alone island with sand all around it. Otherwise it will move.

Remember to cover your powerhead for when it fully splits.

@Reefahholic I know you have direct experience with a split in the past.

Tonight I will set an alarm so that I can check how things are going around 4 AM. The 2 pumps are on the opposite side of the tank near the surface and although it's unlikely one mag can get to them, it does worry me. I already changed the carbon.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update and some interesting interactions between the anemone and the clowns at this stage.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back