I bought a powerhead way too powerful for my tank

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a powerhead way too powerful for my tank. I purchased the Tunze 6055 for my 32 gallon tank and it has the ability to send all the water in the tank to another dimension. Lol! I had no idea that certain tanks should have certain powerheads based on their size. Now that I’ve completely wasted my money I need help identifying a good powerhead for my size tank.

1. What is a good powerhead for a 32 gallon tank? Brand? Model?
2. Do I need 2 or does 1 suffice? Hoping not to send anymore water into the next dimension.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a powerhead way too powerful for my tank. I purchased the Tunze 6055 for my 32 gallon tank and it has the ability to send all the water in the tank to another dimension. Lol! I had no idea that certain tanks should have certain powerheads based on their size. Now that I’ve completely wasted my money I need help identifying a good powerhead for my size tank.

2. Do I need 2 or does 1 suffice? Hoping not to send anymore water into the next dimension.
I'm sure that you will get lots of votes but in a smaller tank, an MP10 would suffice. It will have a much smaller footprint, as the motor is outside of the glass.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Koralia nano
Nero 3

Upvote 0

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Tunze 6055 is a DC pump and is therefore adjustable. I would keep it! Just turn it down. Can you attach a picture of where you have it, so I can see it is context of your aquascape? Honestly it looks like its rated 250-1450 gph... which your tank should definitely be able to handle. Pictures would help.

Upvote 0

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Tunze 6055 is a DC pump and is therefore adjustable. I would keep it! Just turn it down. Can you attach a picture of where you have it, so I can see it is context of your aquascape? Honestly it looks like its rated 250-1450 gph... which your tank should definitely be able to handle. Pictures would help.
iemsparticus has a good point. you might be able to tone it down.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that no matter how I adjust it the sand is still moving slightly. I’m not really sure if that’s a bad thing. It’s not shifting a lot and maybe that’s normal, but since I’m a newbie I’m really not sure what’s normal. I’ve turned it down as much as I could.

Attachments

• 8AF6A4E9-5377-4642-BAAF-FE6FD8BCDFC8.jpeg
    8AF6A4E9-5377-4642-BAAF-FE6FD8BCDFC8.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 116
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iemsparticus has a good point. you might be able to tone it down.
I’ve tried turning it down as much as possible. It could just be me, but it seems overpowering. On a low setting I can still see the sand slightly shifting. Would you consider that normal?

Upvote 0

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that no matter how I adjust it the sand is still moving slightly. I’m not really sure if that’s a bad thing. It’s not shifting a lot and maybe that’s normal, but since I’m a newbie I’m really not sure what’s normal. I’ve turned it down as much as I could.
It's not necessarily a bad thing if the sand creeps around a little bit. It only gets annoying if it moves enough to bury your corals (this is bad since it can kill them) or leaves ugly bald patches.

You kind of have a cannon when all you needed was a pea shooter!

BRS has a few good videos on powerheads. It's worth watching them before your next purchase.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not necessarily a bad thing if the sand creeps around a little bit. It only gets annoying if it moves enough to bury your corals (this is bad since it can kill them) or leaves ugly bald patches.

You kind of have a cannon when all you needed was a pea shooter!
Hahahahaaa!!! Yeah, you’re right. I realized it was a cannon after running it for about a week.

I’m watching the video on BRS now. Thx!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you going to put in the tank for livestock. SPS corals like a lot of water movement.
I’m plan on coral one day but at the moment I’m only trying to master 2 clowns, 1 Royal gramma and a flame Hawkfish. I haven’t quite gotten to the point of researching coral and the different types yet, but it’s definitely in the cards next year.

Upvote 0

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the pump toned down. After a while the fine sand will move to where it will not be an issue and as the tank matures and starts forming a biofilm over everything the sand will settle even more. Trust me, once you get settled in you will be turning the flow on higher and be glad that you started with a good pump from the beginning.

Upvote 0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to turning it down. Also in my experience new reefers often underestimate the flow needed. Dont matter much until you get coral, but then you want enough flow all over the tank. Even low flow corals need good water movement

Upvote 0

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I mean that pump can definitely work for you. A little sand shifting is not a big deal... in fact I'd argue it looks natural as the sand shifts in the wild as well. As @Mono stated above, if it doesn't bury corals, no biggie.

If you aren't happy with it and want to spend more money, I would go for something witha wider flow pattern rather than the narrow flow pattern that particular Tunze gives you. But, as I said, you'd have the perfectly reasonable option of keeping that one and spending the money elsewhere.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I mean that pump can definitely work for you. A little sand shifting is not a big deal... in fact I'd argue it looks natural as the sand shifts in the wild as well. As @Mono stated above, if it doesn't bury corals, no biggie.

If you aren't happy with it and want to spend more money, I would go for something witha wider flow pattern rather than the narrow flow pattern that particular Tunze gives you. But, as I said, you'd have the perfectly reasonable option of keeping that one and spending the money elsewhere.
I definitely would like to keep this one. I feel there’s enough support here saying what I have can work and perhaps I’m just not accustomed to how it should have been affecting the rest of the tank.

Any tips on if it should be moved further to the top of the tank or if it looks fine where it is?

Attachments

• 0DDDE1E6-C01D-48D2-A867-4DF506BB595C.jpeg
    0DDDE1E6-C01D-48D2-A867-4DF506BB595C.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely would like to keep this one. I feel there’s enough support here saying what I have can work and perhaps I’m just not accustomed to how it should have been affecting the rest of the tank.

Any tips on if it should be moved further to the top of the tank or if it looks fine where it is?
I'd probably keep it at that height, as long as you aren't getting any vortexes sucking water from the top of the tank.

Can you take a side shot so I can where it is on the glass in relation to the decor?

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back