I bought a powerhead way too powerful for my tank

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a powerhead way too powerful for my tank. I purchased the Tunze 6055 for my 32 gallon tank and it has the ability to send all the water in the tank to another dimension. Lol! I had no idea that certain tanks should have certain powerheads based on their size. Now that I’ve completely wasted my money I need help identifying a good powerhead for my size tank.

1. What is a good powerhead for a 32 gallon tank? Brand? Model?
2. Do I need 2 or does 1 suffice? Hoping not to send anymore water into the next dimension.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want it flowing that strongly across the tank angle it so it hits the glass on the front panel first, then it will bounce off towards the back, or vice versa hits back wall then comes forward.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want it flowing that strongly across the tank angle it so it hits the glass on the front panel first, then it will bounce off towards the back, or vice versa hits back wall then comes forward.
Good idea, I’ll test out the angle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably keep it at that height, as long as you aren't getting any vortexes sucking water from the top of the tank.

Can you take a side shot so I can where it is on the glass in relation to the decor?
Photo attached. Thoughts? Guess I should observe the flow in the tanks at the stores. I don’t have good perspective since I don’t necessarily have anything I’ve seen myself to physically compare my tank to. It could be perfectly fine in others opinion.

Attachments

• 3914D9F1-F30A-491D-8A9B-A8B135F33AD7.jpeg
    3914D9F1-F30A-491D-8A9B-A8B135F33AD7.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed it, have you shared what type of sand you are using? If it's very fine sand, a smaller powerhead wont necessary help. The easiest fix in that case would be to swap out the sand for something coarser like Special Grade.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed it, have you shared what type of sand you are using? If it's very fine sand, a smaller powerhead wont necessary help. The easiest fix in that case would be to swap out the sand for something coarser like Special Grade.
I’m using CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink

Upvote 0

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo attached. Thoughts? Guess I should observe the flow in the tanks at the stores. I don’t have good perspective since I don’t necessarily have anything I’ve seen myself to physically compare my tank to. It could be perfectly fine in others opinion.
So, if it were me, I would try moving the pump a bit to the left so its not pointed right at the decor, and shooting it straight across. If you would prefer to bounce the water off the front pane of glass, I would leave it where it is and try to shoot it right in the upper center of the front pane.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if it were me, I would try moving the pump a bit to the left so its not pointed right at the decor, and shooting it straight across. If you would prefer to bounce the water off the front pane of glass, I would leave it where it is and try to shoot it right in the upper center of the front pane.
Can you come to my house and monitor while I re-angle the powerhead? Lol! Kidding! I feel like a parent and any small thing I do might devastate the world my "Children of the Tank" live in. It's fun, but also makes me nervous.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. The return nozzle (new photo attached) is on the upper left-hand side of the tank and it's pointing towards the front of the tank. It's somewhat angle towards the front glass at the moment.
IMG_8978.jpg

Upvote 0

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you come to my house and monitor while I re-angle the powerhead? Lol! Kidding! I feel like a parent and any small thing I do might devastate the world my "Children of the Tank" live in. It's fun, but also makes me nervous.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. The return nozzle (new photo attached) is on the upper left-hand side of the tank and it's pointing towards the front of the tank. It's somewhat angle towards the front glass at the moment.
IMG_8978.jpg
Haha... if you happen to live in the DFW area in Texas I'd be happy to come over and help. :)

Don't over think it, my friend! You don't have any corals right now, so the exact flow pattern is not nearly as vital... mostly what its doing right now is keeping the water oxygenated.

My first thought is just to keep your pump exactly as is, except slide it over on the glass closer to the front of the tank, instead of being closer to the back of the tank, like it currently is. Nice and easy. No big changes.

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink

This sand is pretty fine. Blowing sand can be a problem even with optimal sized powerheads. The 6055 looks really big in your tank. I'd try to downsize for aesthetic value if nothing else. I'm very happy with my Jebao SLW, Nero knockoffs. Low profile and relatively inexpensive.

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on the position of the return pump outlet, have you tried moving the powerhead to the other side of the tank, then directing the flow instead of just straight but pointing at an angle towards the surface? This may help slow overall flow in one direction and also increase surface agitation

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
based on the position of the return pump outlet, have you tried moving the powerhead to the other side of the tank, then directing the flow instead of just straight but pointing at an angle towards the surface? This may help slow overall flow in one direction and also increase surface agitation
I’ll be testing this and other things suggested in this post tonight. Thx for the info! I’m exhausted. I just did my first water change and it was a big flop. I’m hoping somebody will see that post and give me advice or I won’t be able to sleep tonight.

HELP! I did my first water change tonight and everything that could go wrong did :-/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that a Tunze 6040 will be too much for that tank, I would look into the Jebao SW 2 or 4, nice and easy turn the knob.
Yeah, it’s a bit overpowered, but I’ve recently turned it down as low as possible and it seems to be less hurricane-ish now. I’m not too keen on how large it is. The Jebao looks much smaller. I’ll read up on it.

Upvote 0

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a powerhead way too powerful for my tank. I purchased the Tunze 6055 for my 32 gallon tank and it has the ability to send all the water in the tank to another dimension. Lol! I had no idea that certain tanks should have certain powerheads based on their size. Now that I’ve completely wasted my money I need help identifying a good powerhead for my size tank.

1. What is a good powerhead for a 32 gallon tank? Brand? Model?
2. Do I need 2 or does 1 suffice? Hoping not to send anymore water into the next dimension.
I had this same problem with my 30 gal. I went and bought this large decor piece and put it in front of powerhead and pointed powerhead upward and placed it near the bottom and now everything's great. It dispersed the water very well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210413-031032_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210413-031032_Gallery.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same problem with my 30 gal. I went and bought this large decor piece and put it in front of powerhead and pointed powerhead upward and placed it near the bottom and now everything's great. It dispersed the water very well.
Great idea and thx for the visual!

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back