I bought my first corral online and .. need help

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a yellow Tonga leather corral. I literately got it this morning and it looked like crap. I noticed after it opened up some it is damaged. What do I do ? Do I cut back this dead portion or let it acclimate to my tank ? Thank you.

1B60F243-C88B-45D2-A0B9-A5FB993BB3E3.jpeg AB3B7302-0711-453E-9C1F-560641B6933A.jpeg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers tend to do this after traumatic experiences like fragging or maybe shipping. It will most likely be ok but part of it might die. I'd just leave it alone

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, eventually they can heal up. I’m not sure shedding is the correct term but they tend to close up a while after stress. Then they have a thin film that lifts off before reopening. Can take a few days or more

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow leather corals and other leathers do shed, however my experience with these is if it has that brown stuff on its skin it most likely will die unfortunately. Where did you get it online?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yellow leather corals and other leathers do shed, however my experience with these is if it has that brown stuff on its skin it most likely will die unfortunately. Where did you get it online?
So sad :( I got it from liveaquaria.com

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have a chance but I have found that if the leather isn't shipped properly they sometimes get those brown jelly like spots and don't make it. My first one was from LA which died of those brown spots due to stress from shipping, but my next one from Corals.com opened up for a week closed shedded then opened again and is now doing great. It may have a chance if you can keep parameters super stable but it still may not make it.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It may have a chance but I have found that if the leather isn't shipped properly they sometimes get those brown jelly like spots and don't make it. My first one was from LA which died of those brown spots due to stress from shipping, but my next one from Corals.com opened up for a week closed shedded then opened again and is now doing great. It may have a chance if you can keep parameters super stable but it still may not make it.
Thank you for the messages. So it’s a bad idea to order corrals online I’m assuming? It was shipped on one day from California to Minnesota. I just can’t see how they can ship corrals like this if I receive it like this. I guess that’s the chance you take ordering online. I hope it pulls through fingers crossed.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't turn black. I bet it recovers (might take a while though)

ErehwoN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the messages. So it’s a bad idea to order corrals online I’m assuming? It was shipped on one day from California to Minnesota. I just can’t see how they can ship corrals like this if I receive it like this. I guess that’s the chance you take ordering online. I hope it pulls through fingers crossed.
It's definitely better if you have a LFS to shop there. All of my livestock was ordered online because the closest "real" store is quite a ways away. I've had mixed results overall but mostly positive. And I've had great luck with LiveAquaria FWIW.

Jim

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online is safe to order from LA is a good website to buy livestock off of but sometimes things happen with shipping and the corals get stressed. Keep an eye on the leather if the brown goes away thats great just keep water stable but if the entire thing starts to turns brown take it out.

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your local Craig’s list or similar! Local frags are the way to go. Also usually cheaper.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Online is safe to order from LA is a good website to buy livestock off of but sometimes things happen with shipping and the corals get stressed. Keep an eye on the leather if the brown goes away thats great just keep water stable but if the entire thing starts to turns brown take it out.
It looks like the brown is going away. I ended up cutting the dead portion off and dipping. It’s not spreading anymore and looking over all better :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back