I broke my Salifert phosphate test vial

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, the depth and size is calibrated to their color chart. If you have another one of their test kits I'd use that one, just rin
se it clean with RO between testing.
But get that Hanna ULR. Their cuvettes are almost bulletproof and the results are fantastic once you get used to the testing procedures.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have something that would give the test liquid the same height when in it that would work, as with that test you are looking down so it shouldn’t matter.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the amount of water changes how dark it is. From side is for checking it on the lower side like 0-10 ppm straight down is checking it higher side like 10 to 100 ppm. I've stepped on those viles before and had to get a new test. Theres an android app called aquarium note in the tools section of the app they have a color checker where you take a picture and you have three comparison arrows that help take some of the guess work out of collor tests
Edit: the side and front thing are still relevant but I'm pretty sure I'm thinking about nitrate on those ppm numbers

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if they sell cuvettes separately like hanna and api do?
I've looked before and couldn't find them... kinda sucks. I use their nitrate test and my un organized ADD brain sometimes allows me to just randomly set those right where I accidentally break them..... at one point I had 3 kits and one cup. I made a decision one day to take really good care of that cup and haven't broken it since. Lol

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the vial that comes with the Salifert nitrate kit the same size+shape? I actually broke the vials from boths kits, so can I kill two birds with one stone and only buy one replacement kit?

;Facepalm

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eh, will it make a difference? Sure. Lets say its 20% off - now your 0.01ppm reading will be 0.012ppm, or your 0.25 reading will be 0.3. I'd measure again as soon as you can after your last good reading, see how far off, and continue on until the test kit is no good anymore. The size difference won't change, so the difference should be consistent.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to buy a new kit, or can I just use one of those API bottles instead? Will it influence the results like it would with the nitrate kit?
What are the dimensions of the API bottle?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I’ll attempt a solution.
You are referring to the flat bottom test tubes used in the API test. It only holds about 8 mL, the Salifert directions call for 10 mL. That is a no-go.

Any other small glass bottles around the house?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back