I can’t figure out what’s wrong with corals

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my lps and softies are closed or clearly irritated zoa garden is mostly closed with the odd polyp half open acans are shrunken in and mushroom also shrunk to half the size it was previously,
I have checked salinity on two refractometers I’ve done a 30% water change and added a hole bunch of carbon still no change my parameters are as follows:
Sg: 1.025
Calc : 440
Magnesium: 1500
DKh: 8.5
Nitrate: 1/2ppm
Phosphate : 0.5 (was near undetectable but I raised it with aminos to see if that was the issue)
Ph: 8.1
Temp: 26c
I thought flow could be responsible so I turned off the power head that mostly effects the Zoas overnight but still nothing, pests are unlikely as it’s effecting multiple species of coral maybe there’s something I’m forgetting about any help would be appreciated.

MurphyTheClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my lps and softies are closed or clearly irritated zoa garden is mostly closed with the odd polyp half open acans are shrunken in and mushroom also shrunk to half the size it was previously,
I have checked salinity on two refractometers I’ve done a 30% water change and added a hole bunch of carbon still no change my parameters are as follows:
Phosphate : 0.5 (was near undetectable but I raised it with aminos to see if that was the issue)
I thought flow could be responsible so I turned off the power head that mostly effects the Zoas overnight but still nothing, pests are unlikely as it’s effecting multiple species of coral maybe there’s something I’m forgetting about any help would be appreciated.
I wouldn't rule out pests, I think based on what you're describing you're probably right and it's a parameter problem, but don't rule out a pest. Plenty of annoying little guys out there that'll tick your corals off. Also may come to lighting if it's tank-wide. Could be overdoing it there. Are they bleaching in any way? Or just closed up?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your nitrates are on the low end for Zoa/ LPS and your mg is on the higher end.
most of these don’t do that well in ultra low levels. I would go 5-10ppm nitrate

my Zoas are almost in the highes flow spot in the tank and loving it. I find they don’t do well in low flow.

Zoas are easy to upset but my biggest parameter swing indicators are Duncans. The close up the quickest after parameter changes.

my bet it is not so much the levels you have but the swings in the parameters. Although it is not impossible but unlikely lighting issue you have.

OP
OP
Dinodanger

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a lighting problem. Can you state what you have and do you know the par values?
I have one ai hydra 26hd with a diffuser all blue channels at 92% red greens at 5 and whites at 30

OP
OP
Dinodanger

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate 0.5 and not 0.05?
Yeah i was surprised at that also it was literally 0.01 a week prior but I dosed a hefty bit of reef roids and aminos to raise it I didn’t realise it would be that much of a change but the problem was before I had high phosphates

OP
OP
Dinodanger

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your nitrates are on the low end for Zoa/ LPS and your mg is on the higher end.
most of these don’t do that well in ultra low levels. I would go 5-10ppm nitrate

my Zoas are almost in the highes flow spot in the tank and loving it. I find they don’t do well in low flow.

Zoas are easy to upset but my biggest parameter swing indicators are Duncans. The close up the quickest after parameter changes.

my bet it is not so much the levels you have but the swings in the parameters. Although it is not impossible but unlikely lighting issue you have.
Yeah that’s possible as I did raise my salinity to 1.025 from 1.024 as my refracto was out of whack

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i was surprised at that also it was literally 0.01 a week prior but I dosed a hefty bit of reef roids and aminos to raise it I didn’t realise it would be that much of a change but the problem was before I had high phosphates
How long have the polyps been closed?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run some gfo or lanthanum chloride to get to target,
No3 5-10ppm
Po4 < 0.1 ppm

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will need some real information to help solve the mystery: how old is the tank? how long have these corals been in your tank? what are you dosing to the tank? how often do you do water changes? tank pic? picture speaks a million words...

OP
OP
Dinodanger

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will need some real information to help solve the mystery: how old is the tank? how long have these corals been in your tank? what are you dosing to the tank? how often do you do water changes? tank pic? picture speaks a million words...
The tanks about 8 months old the corals have been in since a month old as it’s a tank transfer I do water changes once every two weeks more frequent when it was in its earlier stages (Iknow it’s still young)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back