View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have 1 room to set up my QT tanks. I need 3 tanks in this room:

Copper QT (for fish)

Observation tank (for fish)

Coral/invert QT.

They apparently need to be 10ft apart because a study could transfer velvet 10 feet when they used massive fans outside.

Anyway. Here’s my QT room. The copper tank is on the left. The middle is the invert tank. The tank on the right is the observation tank.

Yes. I know this room is filthy. I’m trying to organize it.

Can I just switch the coral and copper tank? There’s no possible ich free swimmers because they die in copper. That at least leaves the invert QT over 10 feet away from the observation tank.

This feels way more stressful than it needs to be. Help me please.

5248C5CB-C6F9-4B90-BF33-3EECFB1B863F.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fans and limit splashing? Maybe make a lid for the copper tank?

Seems to me keeping the QT and observation tank farthest away like you have it is better. I believe a free swimmer has only so long to find a host... which it can't in the invert tank... and then dies.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fans and limit splashing? Maybe make a lid for the copper tank?

Seems to me keeping the QT and observation tank farthest away like you have it is better. I believe a free swimmer has only so long to find a host... which it can't in the invert tank... and then dies.
Thanks.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

my TTM tanks are not always 10 feet apart tbh and nothing ever makes it through. I think that 10 feet rule... like you said... outside with a lot of fans/wind. I bet the distance is much shorter indoors unless you have a airstone half out of the water salt spraying everything or your HOB's are splashing vigorously.

I know awhile back Humble said he was never able to duplicate the 10 ft rule but got 6 feet by running a fan on high.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my TTM tanks are not always 10 feet apart tbh and nothing ever makes it through. I think that 10 feet rule... like you said... outside with a lot of fans/wind. I bet the distance is much shorter indoors unless you have a airstone half out of the water salt spraying everything or your HOB's are splashing vigorously.

I know awhile back Humble said he was never able to duplicate the 10 ft rule but got 6 feet by running a fan on high.
I don’t even have an airstone. I use powerheads. I even added sponges to the outtakes of the hob. I don’t even get salt creep anymore after that.

Im just thinking that I’d feel more comfortable if the copper tank was in the middle. Because no ich can transfer from a copper tank. And the invert tank will have ich from the corals and inverts until the 76 days. At least by keeping that 10 feet apart I prevent any risk from my newly QT fish getting reinfected.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t even have an airstone. I use powerheads. I even added sponges to the outtakes of the hob. I don’t even get salt creep anymore after that.

Im just thinking that I’d feel more comfortable if the copper tank was in the middle. Because no ich can transfer from a copper tank. And the invert tank will have ich from the corals and inverts until the 76 days. At least by keeping that 10 feet apart I prevent any risk from my newly QT fish getting reinfected.

Ya I am not sure the risk. I am not sure copper kills the free swimming stage quickly. Perhaps it just immobilizes them? So if a drop of copper water got in a conditioning tank... it may be able to infect I would think? As my understanding is the 10 foot rule is for copper tanks too.

Anyways I bet you will be fine whichever way you do it since you aren't blowing crap all over :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back