I can’t shake this ich!!!

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a fish only tank running 0.8ppm of cupramine for three months. My fish still randomly have outbreaks. At least once a week. I am now using cuprazorb to remove the cupramine, it is currently at 0.5ppm. What else can I do? Hypo?

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank had it and tank transfer with no fish in the display for the recommended period

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used polylab medic. Also increase the heat to 83-84f. Then I added a uv sterilizer that I run 12hrs a day. Helped a ton.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the dose was accurately at 0.5 for 30 days then it’s likely not ich or the dose dropped below therapeutic.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose the display? Are there rocks? Concentration dipped below 0.5 most likely by absorbing into rocks

Lucyintheseawithdiamonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try ruby reef kick ich and ruby reef rally its worked well for me. It's reef safe, I see you said its fish only but maybe using something different will help? Hope you get things better in your tank. Also I agree with the raising of the temperature and adding aquarium salt. Also selcon and garlic extract are important with helping your fish build up their immune system. And last but not least follow the instructions 100% a lot of people stop dosing when they see improvement. If your trying to get rid of the ich completely you need to treat the tank entirely not just the fish. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s why I treated the entire tank. I watched the dosage over the first week or so until I got it up to 0.8ppm, it’s never dipped below 0.5ppm. It’s never gotten better since I started cupramine. I thought I might have had velvet because my tangs will randomly swim into the power head there’s more spots than you can count, but the spots can now be counted, the powered blue swims into the power head randomly. My regal tang had flukes so I FW dipped and saw them all come off of his skin, don’t know if they all came out of his gills. Kick ich has never done anything. Wondering if I should try copper sulfate instead of the chelated copper.

OP
OP
J

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also add that I was testing copper levels with the API kit. I’ve read some things about them being inaccurate.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please post pictures and as close and clear as possible.
If youre treating for Ich and its not going away. . . . May not be ich as it is similar to what you have being either Cryptocaryon is often confused with another common saltwater disease called Amyloodinium (velvet).

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If using any type of copper medication I highly recommend using Hanna copper checker as this insures accuracy. With color copper test kits things can get a little off, with what to you looks .8 could look .4 to me.

OP
OP
J

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they had this going on, I figure velvet would’ve killed some of my fish by now or would’ve had my tank wiped out. I’ve had that happen in the past.

OP
OP
J

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Hanna Copper Tester yesterday. Running 0.5-0.6ppm. I’ll do it for 30 days at this concentration, the ill lower it over the course of 18-20 days using cuprazorb and carbon. I’ll be checking the copper concentration twice daily as this is in my DT with live rock and sand. All hermits still in the tank. I’ll update as I go.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Therapeutic levels of copper should kill all inverts in the DT. If the hermits are ok, your copper is not at therapeutic levels. But I believe that, in theory, your new protocol should work. Unless it doesn't, in which case I would remove the fish and let the DT go fallow per recommended guidelines for eradication.

OP
OP
J

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I measured 0.52ppm at 7am. Added a slight amount of cupramine, came home and measured 0.56ppm at 7pm. Added slight amount of cupramine. Will measure at 7am tomorrow, all hermits still alive. Fish show no signs of stress and eat well, all spots on the fish have fallen off of them, I’m sure awaiting hatching on the sand.

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a fish only tank running 0.8ppm of cupramine for three months. My fish still randomly have outbreaks. At least once a week. I am now using cuprazorb to remove the cupramine, it is currently at 0.5ppm. What else can I do? Hypo?
try copper power and run it for a month over 2.5. 2.5-3.0 range

Lucyintheseawithdiamonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ruled out flukes? I recently believe I had an outbreak of that in my tank recently. Thought it was ich, treated the tank, did research then more research. I did the ruby reef as i previously mentioned, along with a fresh water dip mixed with melafix. I literally came out with my yellow tang loosing an eye so sad. And my sailfin tang almost lost an eye but was able to not have to deal with it falling out. Anyways worth looking into, was pretty awful to watch my guys go through that. Have you tried the uv sterilizer? I hear that helps also with fighting bacteria. Just a thought, cheers

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Today, I measured 0.52ppm at 7am. Added a slight amount of cupramine, came home and measured 0.56ppm at 7pm. Added slight amount of cupramine. Will measure at 7am tomorrow, all hermits still alive. Fish show no signs of stress and eat well, all spots on the fish have fallen off of them, I’m sure awaiting hatching on the sand.
Please take out all inverts when dosing copper. You will kill a living creature for nothing.

OP
OP
J

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.56ppm - 7am added slight cupramine
0.67ppm - 6:30pm. Will aim to maintain 6-7ppm. All hermits still alive and foraging for food like they normally do. This tank has had copper in it for months. I’ve run other tanks at a higher copper concentration and never once lost a hermit crab.

OP
OP
J

Justin101714

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested copper again this morning. 0.64ppm. All hermits still alive. Fish look great, eat fine.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back