I cannot get my tanks under control with flurry of pests

McReeferNista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, it's time for me to ask as I believe I am at the last rung. It pains to see that I cannot get my tanks from having all these pest problems. First I have invasion of the vermetid snail that was so bad. Then the flatworms came along with the newbie branch and lots more. It was so bad the sand had tons of eggs I could not get rid of, hatched and game on. Now there is no sand in any tank, my tanks (i have three) and they all are suffering with I thought was dino now. I read an article on some site called Coral ???? The described my situation to a tee. Snow flurries, always when feeding or changing water. Sticky slime on everything. a droplet will drop on glass or be on my glove and OI touch it, they are now on there. They are very where. I have a box sterilizer so after washing the tools, RO-ing it all, tubes and whatnot, they go in the the UV box for
20 minutes. My rocks and coral are covered with white and they fly off.. Little rollie pollies along the floor of the tanks and clear sorta white fluffy pest are every where. Feeding, changing water, and they are in mass numbers. I am doing the peroxide and bac 7 and only a little light 6- hours for the coral at 9 watts (red Sea E170) . I vacuum all the looser crazy out and blowing rock debris off What is all this. I am failing fast. My rocks are infested. I have some new just sitting in a bag ready to be seasoned. Cant season with any of the water from these tanks right? Here are some recent pictures. I am so sad , it is now consuming me to keep them healthy. Lost a fish and a coral already. Please give me hope and guidance. I have read and stay in the shadow to read all you have to say about a lot of things. I feel this group knows, we are reefers....I hope I wont be defeated. Attached are my recent photo's and I will check back. I appreciate all that you have to offer. My tanks are not the same as they were a year ago. Not even close. Like the wind has gone from their sail. NANO AFTER CLEANED PIC LOOKS GOOD. But not like that any MORE. Looks like the pic after. their rocks are white covered in ......i dont know what but it hatches, flies and my fishs dont like it at all.

20210519_221002.jpg 20210519_220953.jpg NANO TANK  FOUND A LOT OF THESE.jpg 20210517_113634.jpg 20210517_113720.jpg 20210517_113721.jpg 20210519_220847.jpg 20210519_220851.jpg 20210519_220858.jpg 20210519_221013.jpg 20210519_221015.jpg NASTY THING.jpg SNAIlL OR BRISTOL.jpg pumpkin getting attacked 11-23-20.jpg nano after cleaned and new sand.jpg 20210513_155539.jpg 20210513_155553.jpg 20210513_155603.jpg 20210513_155613.jpg

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any wrasse that will eat the pest ? If not I would get a six line or yellow coris wrasse and do not feed it so it will go after yr pests. And for the vermitid snail ,bumble bee snails worked for me and greatly reduced their numbers to where I don’t even see them anymore, hope that helps

OP
OP
McReeferNista

McReeferNista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any wrasse that will eat the pest ? If not I would get a six line or yellow coris wrasse and do not feed it so it will go after yr pests. And for the vermitid snail ,bumble bee snails worked for me and greatly reduced their numbers to where I don’t even see them anymore, hope that helps
My snails are no longer. All died except the assassins in the Red Sea Max E170. I do have a wrasse. He is always working but this is infestation. I am thinking I need to shut it down, or my thought is to switch out live rock once the new is conditioned. your thoughts? There are cocoons full of pests ready top pounce and also put the sand back. bare bottom is played havoc too.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snails are no longer. All died except the assassins in the Red Sea Max E170. I do have a wrasse. He is always working but this is infestation. I am thinking I need to shut it down, or my thought is to switch out live rock once the new is conditioned. your thoughts? There are cocoons full of pests ready top pounce and also put the sand back. bare bottom is played havoc too.
Not really sure of your pests can you provide a good picture in white lighting? Never heard of cocoons underwater lol are they sponges? Bumble bee snails eat vermitid snails a Spanish hogfish is also a good pest eater

OP
OP
McReeferNista

McReeferNista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure of your pests can you provide a good picture in white lighting? Never heard of cocoons underwater lol are they sponges? Bumble bee snails eat vermitid snails a Spanish hogfish is also a good pest eater
Hello here are some photos of what I am dealing with. Can you tell me if I am dino trouble Cyano trouble and newbie branches. I was reading about the dino going to cacoon state if pars or life is not to their liking. newbie branches do it too

Attachments

• cacoon like.  trouble.jpg
    cacoon like. trouble.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 47
  • coral covered or smothered..jpg
    coral covered or smothered..jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 50
  • fury tuffs and coral smothered with coating.jpg
    fury tuffs and coral smothered with coating.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 53
  • in cave cacoons and tuffs or algae and eggs.jpg
    in cave cacoons and tuffs or algae and eggs.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 54
  • rock that is now eaten away to a cave.jpg
    rock that is now eaten away to a cave.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 46
  • side and back.jpg
    side and back.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 47
  • side of rock cave-woms or snail damaging.jpg
    side of rock cave-woms or snail damaging.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 46

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello here are some photos of what I am dealing with. Can you tell me if I am dino trouble Cyano trouble and newbie branches. I was reading about the dino going to cacoon state if pars or life is not to their liking. newbie branches do it too
The cacoon things just look like a type of sponge which are filter feeders and will go away with less feeding, they are not harmful. I do see bryopsis algae and a lot of vermitid snails , I think bumble bee snails and less feedings would solve the snail problem.

OP
OP
McReeferNista

McReeferNista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. I know the snails are not as bad as they were. Are they the ones eating at the rock? it's going to be replaced as they are turning to dust, shifting and coral will be falling. As for my other trouble with Dino, I have tried the peroxide, bacter 7 and it is not helping. or Killing is what I am looking to do. Now my skimmer (Red Sea) has a split and pushing all kinds all micro bubbles and crude from back of tank , into the display. I bought a microscope so I will be able to identify the parasite/bacteria I have. And treat it. I believe I am doing it wrong other that blacking it out and doing the Dr Tim, or Dino X. Taking out the sand was a huge mistake but the infestation was horrible. As for feeding, I will have to cut down to every other day. I don't feed them a lot of food (one little cube in 5 days, but I do the coral feeding too. Surely that is not good either. Thank you for the insight on the sponges and over feeding.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back