I can't for the life of me ID these zoas....

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, first off, sorry for having to make yet ANOTHER "what zoa is this" post in this forum.

I have tried my best and looked a hundreds of photos but can't ID these zoas exactly. Ideally I'd like to sell or trade them in the future, so if I could get correct names it would make that a lot easier, I don't want to promise people something that it isn't. I am NOT a zoa guy, so I have no idea when a zoa goes from being X to Y name.

I recently broke down a tank and got to keep a rock COVERED in zoas as payment. As I said, I'm not a zoa guy but they're nice, so I took it.
Everything else in the tank was on the high end, so I would imagine these are too? But as I said, I haven't been able to exactly ID them. Hopefully someone with more experience can help.

I went ahead and fragged everything a few weeks ago which went well, and as such have them all on their own plugs.
I tried to get the best photos I could for ID'ing. Slightly blue light with an orange filter. All colors look very "true to life" in these photos IMO.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mystery #1 (may be a pally? when fully open its a little larger and has a 1 inch "stalk")
1.jpg

Mystery #2. By far the most common. Probably have 60 polyps of this one.
2.jpg

Mystery #3
3.jpg

Mystery #4. Similar to #3, but I'm guessing its different?
4.jpg

Mystery #5. Also very common on the rock I got, probably 30-40 polyps.
5.jpg

Mystery #5. The only one I am fairly sure of.... Scrambled egg, right?
6.jpg

Thanks so much for any help, I really appreciate it!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Amazing pics btw, lemme help you out

1- candy Apple pink
2- rainbow hornet
3- low end, unnamed zoa
4- looks most like a super morphed out bam bam. No definitive ID from me :(
5- looks kind of like Tiffany with a green mouth. Sorry I don’t have a better answer for you, as this is definitely not the correct ID
6- eagle eyes

OP
OP
MakerofThings

MakerofThings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Amazing pics btw, lemme help you out

1- candy Apple pink
2- rainbow hornet
3- low end, unnamed zoa
4- looks most like a super morphed out bam bam. No definitive ID from me :(
5- looks kind of like Tiffany with a green mouth. Sorry I don’t have a better answer for you, as this is definitely not the correct ID
6- eagle eyes
AMAZING. Thank you for the help! At least that ticks a few off and I'm close on the others, thanks!

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@footgal looks to be right across the board with the exception of #2. Where @Steven Garland has it as a circus zoa. As for #4 it's similar to a My Clementine. However, true Clementines are a smaller polyp like awesome blossoms or kedd's reds. What you have there is a very nice no namer you could safely call a clementine morph/look alike.

#5 likely goes in the laser lemon morph bucket. There's probably 5-6 laser lemon strains that are all very similar.

#6 are indeed a very nice eagle eye. There are other names out there... sunflowers, TSA mis brands them as super sayians... but eagle is correct. That said, there's lots of variations out there and some are certainly nicer than others.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
It really boils down to flow,lighting,spectrum and nutrients. I bet if we all took 1 polyp of the same zoa,it would more than likely look super different in each persons tank.

That's true to a varying degree. Certain strains like utter chaos morph tremendously where as a rasta always looks like a rasta. In that vein we need to sort stuff by 'distinguishing' characteristics vs superficial/arbitrary distinctions - ones that will vary based on tank parameters or 'branding'. That's why I always urge people to get comfortable putting stuff in buckets rather than having 7-8 different names for fire and ice, eagle eyes, gorilla nips, packers etc.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back