I can't ID this Pistol Shrimp, can I add a Goby?

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my 10g nano reef with a pistol shrimp and goby pair in mind. A little over a week ago I called my lfs and they said they had a red and white pistol, and I asked them to hold it thinking it might be a Randells. It was not, and I can't for the life of me figure out what kind it is.

The shrimp is huge, easily 2.5-3 inches. Solid red color on body and legs with some white spots thrown in, and it's been busy burrowing since I added him. It's currently living with 5 snails, a small hermit crab, one peppermint shrimp, a scooter blenny, and a firefish and everything is getting along fine.

Lastnight I freaked out because I couldn't find my firefish. Not in its usual hides, and it didnt come out for food. I assumed that the shrimp finally started killing, and I started taking out my rocks to remove it. I went to remove the final and largest piece, only to see the firefish chilling with the pistol shrimp in a large burrow made under the rock. I carefully placed everything back, and watched the firefish and shrimp huddle almost right next to eachother. The shrimp kept touching the firefish with a tentacle (to see if it was still there I guess), but made no attempt to run or chase off the firefish. After everything settled down the firefish went back into the shrimp burrow. I didn't see him at lunch, but a water test showed no ammonia.

If the shrimp continues to be cool with the firefish, is it safe to assume I have a pistol shrimp that could pair with a goby?

20200213_203338.jpg

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several varients of red carribbean pistols, but they all closely resemble the one you pictured. Supposedly they don't pair with gobies well, but I have no experience there to speak of, just what the internet says.

OP
OP
InvertsBestVerts

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several varients of red carribbean pistols, but they all closely resemble the one you pictured. Supposedly they don't pair with gobies well, but I have no experience there to speak of, just what the internet says.

Like I said I've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure this one out, and I'm starting to doubt that it's a Caribbean. Most pictures of them I see have different patterns, and blue legs, and most of the posts I see talk about how much more agressive they are.

The closest I can find is this, and it still doesn't really help me in any way

OP
OP
InvertsBestVerts

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I figured it out. Google searching for Indian Ocean Pistol Shrimp didn't turn up much until I got a scientific name, Alpheus Bisicinsis. Wikipedia only no information other than taxonomy, but a little more searching around gave me the name "Japanese Snapping Shrimp". According to other posts on reef2reef they pair with gobies too!

Edit- According to some other users these pistol shrimp don't pair, others are adamant they do. I guess I'm back to square one.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back