I confess...I like to rub my butt!

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to try this one out. My family loves Mexican flavors (at least twice a week).

mojo criollo along with adobo is available from Goya, but check out online recipes for it t make it fresh - much better. sour orange is hard to find, but I prefer the combination of orange, lime and grapefruit more.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inject with a mix of apple cider and apple cider vinegar as i don't think marinading is effective with a 9lb hunk of meat.

I use a shaker to apply the rub and water sticks to it is what it is.

I let it rest about 40 minutes when I get the smoker running and settled in.

I also love doing pernil, injecting with mojo criollo and rubbing with adobo. Pernil is fanastic in the smoker and you can cook it fast and hot taking it when it's 165° as pernil is cut with a knife and not pulled.

I prefer a hybrid method, 275° smoker temp and take it to 185°. It still slices but I find that extra tenderness better.

Don't trim that fat cap. score it and let that adobo get in between those cuts and you'll have tasty chicharron

And use an aluminum pan, you will want all the pernil juices.

Never tried vinegary injections. I am from NC and I love vinegar based sauces so that sounds delicious. Does it overpower the meat? Can you taste the vinegar?

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never tried vinegary injections. I am from NC and I love vinegar based sauces so that sounds delicious. Does it overpower the meat? Can you taste the vinegar?

I think acids, fats & sugar combining are part of the Maillard reaction. My decision to keep it simple with vinegar and apple cider/juice, is probably founded in that combo and my love of NC BBQ.

You can't taste it like you do with NC BBQ which is added after the cook. With my pulled pork, I add a thin vinegary sauce like Blue Hog Tennessee Red to the pull.

The best pork I ever had was at a comp, a neighboring team had a suckling pig on a spit for the crew, to which I was honored with an invite for a taste. The sauce was incredible with the pork.

Turns out all it was, was white vinegar and red pepper flakes. Proof that sometimes less is more.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think acids, fats & sugar combining are part of the Maillard reaction. My decision to keep it simple with vinegar and apple cider/juice, is probably founded in that combo and my love of NC BBQ.

You can't taste it like you do with NC BBQ which is added after the cook. With my pulled pork, I add a thin vinegary sauce like Blue Hog Tennessee Red to the pull.

The best pork I ever had was at a comp, a neighboring team had a suckling pig on a spit for the crew, to which I was honored with an invite for a taste. The sauce was incredible with the pork.

Turns out all it was, was white vinegar and red pepper flakes. Proof that sometimes less is more.

My mouth waters just thinking about it. My wife hates vinegar based sauces. I however crave them. My next butt will be done this way. What is you ratio of injection mix or do you just eyeball it?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to inject a mixture of apple juice and rub throughout the butt. It did make it very tender but it seemed to not allow a lot of smoke penetration. It would taste more sweet than smoky. I stopped injecting a couple butts back and I won't do it again. I think it just tastes better without. Plus once the butt reaches 205 then it just falls apart anyways... mmmm

Yesterday was good!
20200405_171052.jpg
Dang that looks bomb. How long did you smoke that Butt for? In what and what temp? Looks good man

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that looks bomb. How long did you smoke that Butt for? In what and what temp? Looks good man

Offset wood smoker. I smoke it for about 9 hours and try to keep it low and slow around 225. Internal temp is usually around 175 when I pull it. Then I put it in a cooking pan, cover with aluminum foil and toss it in the oven for an hour around 425. It might be unconventional but covering it with that heat keeps it moist while raising the internal temp to 205. The meat literally falls off the bone at that point.

Keybilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this is the rub recipe I love and use all the time in my smoker. It’s excellent on butt and ribs!

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this is the rub recipe I love and use all the time in my smoker. It’s excellent on butt and ribs!

Thank you! I am going to give that a try. Sounds good!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know, I know you came here obviously to talk about Pork........ Another hobby I have besides reefing is smoking BBQ. Now that the weather is warming up I am smoking every weekend. Anyways, I was marinating and prepping a pork butt tonight for tomorrow's cook. During my marinade prep I always spend a lot of time caressing the herbs and spices into the butt. Talking 20 minutes or so. My wife made a couple comments and said "how long are you going to rub that thing for".

So this leads me to my question. If you BBQ.....How long do you rub your butt for? Honestly, I don't really want to know about you rubbing your butt if you don't BBQ. That would belong on another forum. :D

20200404_223607.jpg
This already looks good raw.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Making Jamaican curry chicken over white seasoned rice tonight ! 1586285049356.png

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
That's one juicy butt!

I grilled some filet mignons yesterday (Costco had some abnormally low prices, couldn't pass) and was thinking it's time to do some butts.

Gotta show this to my wife.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoked Chicken tonight!

Fired up the smoker for the first time this year today. Had to clean out the auger and that was not fun or that easy. At least next time, I'll be more familiar. pellet smoker 2020.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one juicy butt!

I grilled some filet mignons yesterday (Costco had some abnormally low prices, couldn't pass) and was thinking it's time to do some butts.

Gotta show this to my wife.

Can't go wrong with Filet Mignons! Weather says It is definitely butt season. :D

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smoked Chicken tonight!

Fired up the smoker for the first time this year today. Had to clean out the auger and that was not fun or that easy. At least next time, I'll be more familiar. pellet smoker 2020.jpg

That's a cool looking smoker!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I know you came here obviously to talk about Pork........ Another hobby I have besides reefing is smoking BBQ. Now that the weather is warming up I am smoking every weekend. Anyways, I was marinating and prepping a pork butt tonight for tomorrow's cook. During my marinade prep I always spend a lot of time caressing the herbs and spices into the butt. Talking 20 minutes or so. My wife made a couple comments and said "how long are you going to rub that thing for".

So this leads me to my question. If you BBQ.....How long do you rub your butt for? Honestly, I don't really want to know about you rubbing your butt if you don't BBQ. That would belong on another forum. :D

20200404_223607.jpg
Talk about click bait! Butt looks delicious!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any suggestions for a good dry rub?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back