I could use some help.....

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm currently in the process of researching,saving, for my first reef tank, and would like any advice on what I've decided on so far.

I plan on getting a 72 bowfront. (im not sure of the brand i saw at my lfs but what i found online makes me think it's an aqueon megaflow)
He also told me there are two pre drilled holes one for drain and one for return. but if possible i would probably do a main drain and emergency drain and have the return go behind the tank. I would also like to do hard pvc piping. any guide lines as to pipe size would be nice. (I think it comes with a kit for plumbing but im not sure it will work for what i want to do.)

For lighting I'm thinking about a hybrid t5/led hopefully with controls. any recommendations would be welcome.

for the sump i was looking at the trigger systems sapphire 26.

for now i'll probably go pretty bare bones for equipment,(Though i will make a manifold for future possible equipment.) mainly just a protein skimmer and anything i need for an in sump refugium.(im hoping to be able to support dragonettes in the future.) maybe something for dosing calcium and alkalinity for corals that might need it. As for the return pump i might go for a dc pump probably around 1200 gph.

my choices for coral so far are xenia, some form of zoanthids, other than that im not sure yet. any cool suggestions that could be beginner friendly/ won't take over my tank would be nice. (if there's risk of out competing tell me so i can isolate it to it' own location or something if i decide i like it.

for fish I hope to have a flame angel as the centerpiece. i would love for some clowns. i've heard damsels can be a pain but there are supposedly some who are "nice" any tips there would be nice as i saw these little black and blue ones at my lfs the called sapphire damsels. i was hoping i could get a yellow tang as i've heard they're pretty good at grazing on algae, but im not sure i have a big enough tank. maybe some pajama cardinals and a fire goby or 2. (this amount of fish won't be too many would it? i'm coming from fresh water so i'm not sure of how each fish will impact the bio load yet.

and for the waaaaaaaay off future i was wondering if it would be possible to eventually get an anemone in a reef tank. as i've heard it can be difficult to get them to stay where you want. and they have a habit of stinging corals as they wander.

Feel free to comment on anything that you would deem important that important for me to know that have/ haven't mentioned. I probably missed something.

Thanks in advanced

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@WhitePanther93

First off:
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef, and hope your feel at home.

Return pump:
The Reef Octopus Vario S line are really great return pumps for the money.

An must have is an four stage RO'DI unit with an built in TDS meter, for all your water, including top off water.

Would like to step back for others to chime in as well.

Again:
#WelcometoR2R

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Awesome intro. You have obviously been doing your research. That's the first, most important step to a successful reef. So many great questions! I'll let the experts handle the technical stuff. My best advice to you is to go slow, plan your build carefully and have fun! And yes, you absolutely can eventually have an anemone in your tank.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R:)

That's a solid plan for sure. T5/led hybrid lighting is hard to beat. I used diy t5 kits and Kessils when I ran hybrid lighting. Mounted inside a canopy. I have since switched to metal halide/led hybrid lighting.

Edp251

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Looks like an excellent plan to me! One element that I did not see mentioned was strategy for cycling with live rock, dry rock etc.. This is an area I wish i had researched further hen first starting out as choices on this are most consequential when it comes to early livestock success and dealing with pests and algae in the first year. Lots of great threads on this forum for you to consider. Cheers!

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Looks like a solid plan. I would make sure to isolate that xenia to it's own rock though as they can grow super fast and take over. Also IMO flame Angel's are hit and miss you'll have to watch to make sure they dont have a taste for corals. Like said before just take it slow. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Looks like an excellent plan to me! One element that I did not see mentioned was strategy for cycling with live rock, dry rock etc.. This is an area I wish i had researched further hen first starting out as choices on this are most consequential when it comes to early livestock success and dealing with pests and algae in the first year. Lots of great threads on this forum for you to consider. Cheers!
Ah I had a feeling I was missing something. I was thinking of getting a small amount of live rock and a larger amount of dry rock and just let them sit in a rubbermade barrel for a while probably a few weeks to a month to cure. Even after that I was still gonna let it sit in the tank for a bit more after I get the rock how I want it.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I had a feeling I was missing something. I was thinking of getting a small amount of live rock and a larger amount of dry rock and just let them sit in a rubbermade barrel for a while probably a few weeks to a month to cure. Even after that I was still gonna let it sit in the tank for a bit more after I get the rock how I want it.

This is the method I used for my first tank and it was very successful. Make sure your "live" rock is of good quality, visible coralline growth is a good sign. You will want a powerhead and heater in the Rubbermaid. Light is not necessary.

I recently hung an Aquatic Life hybrid and really like it, might be worth reading up on for you. Prior to that I was using an ATI Powermodule and I liked it a lot too. The Powermodule has more controllability but you pay for it.

Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized another thing I neglected to look up. Water Parameters. I’m coming from planted fresh water tanks so I’m sure it’s going to be vastly different, but what are the important parameter elements of a reef tank and what should they be at?

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized another thing I neglected to look up. Water Parameters. I’m coming from planted fresh water tanks so I’m sure it’s going to be vastly different, but what are the important parameter elements of a reef tank and what should they be at?
You’ll have to at first check the basics (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH) then once all cycled and stable if you plan on growing corals you will want to check your Alkalinity, Phosphates, Calcium and Magnesium.

EDIT: Welcome to R2R

OP
OP
WhitePanther93

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another thing i would like to ask is about tuning my overflow and pump. is there any methodology to doing it? or is it just use a gate valve and adjust pump speed till my tank/ sump isn't overflowing? none of the videos i watched really went into depth about this topic.

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your overflow has a drainage capacity that should be matched by your return pump. What most people do is buy a larger pump so they can dial it down to what’s needed and fine tune the flow with a gate valve on the line.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back