I did it! I made a fish hospital(QT tank)!! I still have questions and need help

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did it I spent the last 2 days after work figuring out where I was gonna do it. And I got rid of some boxes that I had in a closet in my office and found quite the nice QT tank location as well as a storage area for everything else.

So here’s my situation and the questions I need answered.

lost 7of 10 fish in a weeks time. Most of which does in last 72 hours.Fish were covered in a white powder almost. Very certain this is velvet.

got 3 survivors in 10 gal QT. Tomato clown, Cardinal, Leopard wrasse. Gave each a 5 min freshwater dip in RODI water. Then placed in QT that has Fritz zyme and cupramine. I used half of recommended dose for day one. All fishalive right now. But leopard wrasse laying at bottom a lot. Breathing was heavy, but now no, but he’s still laying at bottom. Noticed a lot of stuff fall off his body as soon as he went in QT. He even, I think took a weird white looking poop. A min or 2 after going in. What’s up with him? Is he too far gone?

also how do I do this from here?
*how many days do I quarantine the fish?
*How often do I add/increase copper/ is there a point when one stops?
*What should I be feeding these guys and how often?
*how often should I do water changes in the QT?

BB9E10A4-6EB7-4E46-939A-4C3E6A24F32E.jpeg A1BBA4ED-A73B-40E7-8F0A-D602D262498F.jpeg 4E0EE34B-A1AA-4AAD-B5D8-EC9A2A247D89.jpeg 0093F86C-8501-4E1B-B2A7-76CB9B90A263.jpeg 1C38EB8B-8E4B-4D5F-915B-35487BFBEAE9.jpeg

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is velvet.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*how many days do I quarantine the fish? 30 days copper two weeks observation

*How often do I add/increase copper/ is there a point when one stops? Once you get copper up to therapudic levels you should not have to dose it anymore. Test regularly to make sure your levels arent decreasing. If they are start looking for the source, but once you hit the number you need it should hold there.
*What should I be feeding these guys and how often? Once a day, little bits to keep ammonia levels down. I will give them whatever theyll eat in 3 minutes.
*how often should I do water changes in the QT? Personally as long as ammonia levels say low to non existent I never do water changes during the 30 days of copper treatment. Only after that do I do water changes to bring them out of copper.

What filtration are you using? Did you add any bottled bacteria products to handle the ammonia?

If it's velvet dont wait too long to bring copper up to level. Velvet can, and will kill within 48 hours.

Take a look at @HotRocks qt process. I basically followed this and it's been very successful

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
*how many days do I quarantine the fish? 30 days copper two weeks observation

*How often do I add/increase copper/ is there a point when one stops? Once you get copper up to therapudic levels you should not have to dose it anymore. Test regularly to make sure your levels arent decreasing. If they are start looking for the source, but once you hit the number you need it should hold there.
*What should I be feeding these guys and how often? Once a day, little bits to keep ammonia levels down. I will give them whatever theyll eat in 3 minutes.
*how often should I do water changes in the QT? Personally as long as ammonia levels say low to non existent I never do water changes during the 30 days of copper treatment. Only after that do I do water changes to bring them out of copper.

What filtration are you using? Did you add any bottled bacteria products to handle the ammonia?

If it's velvet dont wait too long to bring copper up to level. Velvet can, and will kill within 48 hours.

Take a look at @HotRocks qt process. I basically followed this and it's been very successful

yes using sponge filter and ftitz zyme

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasse needs sand.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses are sand sleepers. She may be laying on the bottom trying to bury herself. You will greatly increase the chance of success if you provide a shallow dish of sand.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both ich and velvet are really only vulnerable to meds during their free swimming stage, so a bit of sand won’t make much difference to the parasite ..... but it will make world of difference to the leopard wrasse.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the sand, please don’t read this as I am against quarantining, far from it, however I do think hobbyists experience significant losses in QT because they are made too sterile, foreign and stressful. We should be ensuring that all metabolic energy goes into boosting the fishes immune system rather than spent freaking out in an environment that does not provide for its mental well being. Sure it’s “just a fish” but millions upon millions of years of evolution have conditioned those fish to expect a certain environment and as with everything in life, it’s always an expectations game. When expectations are met life is good, when there is a mismatch between expectations and reality someone ends up with hurt feelings or worse.

OP
OP
ReefKeeper666

ReefKeeper666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didn’t make it. I’m really bummed...
Both ich and velvet are really only vulnerable to meds during their free swimming stage, so a bit of sand won’t make much difference to the parasite ..... but it will make world of difference to the leopard wrasse.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back