I didn't think my giant green brittle star was one of the bad ones - until it attacked!

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always heard stories about how the massive green brittle stars were absolute monsters and killers. I believed it, but I figured that mine just had a good temperament. He sat in the rockwork, would come out from time to time to feed, and for the most part, was well behaved. A few fish went missing without a trace here and there, but I figured they died of natural causes and he cleaned them up.

Now, I'm not too sure.

I just came back from my LFS, and drip-acclimated some fish and inverts. I put 2 emerald crabs in my tank, and they started eating away at detritus. Then out of nowhere, my giant green brittle star lunges at the poor little guy; he wouldn't relent at all. So I grabbed a piece of frozen salmon to lure him out, hoping that his removal would be quick and easy. But when he came out, it felt like I was wrangling a kraken. I had him by three arms, while the other two were wrapped tight on the rock. A vicious battle ensued. Rocks fell everywhere and corals were ticked.

Luckily, however, I pulled the menace out by his green little body and stored him away safely in my sump, where he'll hopefully do his job and eat detritus - NOT my $15 emerald crabs!

Moral of the story - GREEN BRITTLE STARS ARE EVIL!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always heard stories about how the massive green brittle stars were absolute monsters and killers. I believed it, but I figured that mine just had a good temperament. He sat in the rockwork, would come out from time to time to feed, and for the most part, was well behaved. A few fish went missing without a trace here and there, but I figured they died of natural causes and he cleaned them up.

Now, I'm not too sure.

I just came back from my LFS, and drip-acclimated some fish and inverts. I put 2 emerald crabs in my tank, and they started eating away at detritus. Then out of nowhere, my giant green brittle star lunges at the poor little guy; he wouldn't relent at all. So I grabbed a piece of frozen salmon to lure him out, hoping that his removal would be quick and easy. But when he came out, it felt like I was wrangling a kraken. I had him by three arms, while the other two were wrapped tight on the rock. A vicious battle ensued. Rocks fell everywhere and corals were ticked.

Luckily, however, I pulled the menace out by his green little body and stored him away safely in my sump, where he'll hopefully do his job and eat detritus - NOT my $15 emerald crabs!

Moral of the story - GREEN BRITTLE STARS ARE EVIL!
I had a bad experience with a GBS also but it was a dart fish Glad your crab is safe!

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put a known predator in the tank and blame it for eating? Detritus is not the bulk of their diet. Someone has misinformed you. Recommend giving the animal to someone that can house it in a proper environment, and adequately feed it.

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put a known predator in the tank and blame it for eating? Detritus is not the bulk of their diet. Someone has misinformed you. Recommend giving the animal to someone that can house it in a proper environment, and adequately feed it.
No, it came with the tank, which has been running for 10 years and I've had for 3. The previous owner said it came as a hitchhiker and grew big. He's got some chaeto in there too, idk he'll survive

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it came with the tank, which has been running for 10 years and I've had for 3. The previous owner said it came as a hitchhiker and grew big. He's got some chaeto in there too, idk he'll survive
I'd try to rehome it if it were me, only because they are cool and someone who is aware of their tendencies like you are may actually really want it! Also, they are carnivores, as @vtecintegra alluded to... So sump life wouldn't be great for the kraken. ;) (Loved your story by the way - I could totally visualize it, lol).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back