I don’t even know what to do at this point...

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you thought about a hang on refugium

I would look at other method of control if cannot have a refugium. Lower light hours and more water changes and less food going in the tank. maybe consider a skimmer upgrade if its not cutting it. There are more then one way to skin a cat.
Wow I didn’t know HOB refugiums were so inexpensive, I might get one. I feel like less light hours won’t help take care of the nitrates though. It’ll just suppress the algae growth while keeping all the excess nutrients.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is worth noting that an earlier post stating that a clean up crew will cause increase nutrient loads is quite nonsense; they will mow down the algae that is left over after manual removal without the need to dose chemicals or other solutions that could cause untoward problems with the tank later down the road. I have never experienced nutrient problems because of the introduction of a crew of small hermit crabs for algae removal.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Yeah I try to pick up RODI water every time I’m at my LFS since I don’t have an RODI system. I’m gonna go soon and get more RODI to help with algae and eventually get an RODI system.
ATM I’m also running a HOB skimmer to help with algae too. (It took a while to get running since I had to end up DIYing a couple things to rid the bubbles in the display since I have lots of Gorgonians)
I’m just trying to decide whether I should go with an RODI system or a Canister Filter... it’s either one or the other since I’m on a budget
Test the rodi water for ammonia using a ammonia test kit. Curious to see if your city water treats with chloramines

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is worth noting that an earlier post stating that a clean up crew will cause increase nutrient loads is quite nonsense; they will mow down the algae that is left over after manual removal without the need to dose chemicals or other solutions that could cause untoward problems with the tank later down the road. I have never experienced nutrient problems because of the introduction of a crew of small hermit crabs for algae removal.
Absolutely a chemical fix tends to lead to another need for chemical fix etc

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP already seems to have a perfectly serviceable CUC. How would adding MORE critters and MORE bioload really fix the problem? Ok add more CUC to cover a nutirent problem? Perhaps more CUC helps delete algae and then extra CUC dies once food source is gone? IMO his CUC isnt the problem its most likely poor management of water in an immature system. New reefs cannot get away with water issues that a mature reef can handle.

EDIT: OP could probably use a couple of snails. Perhaps 3 or 4 trochus. My apologies. But I still dont think a crazy large CUC is a good way to cover up poor water quality.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried testing the RODI from your LFS for nitrates? They might not be changing their filters often enough. Also, I’ve had the best luck with turbo snails for hair algae. That mow through that stuff like there no tomorrow.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP already seems to have a perfectly serviceable CUC. How would adding MORE critters and MORE bioload really fix the problem? Ok add more CUC to cover a nutirent problem? Perhaps more CUC helps delete algae and then extra CUC dies once food source is gone? IMO his CUC isnt the problem its most likely poor management of water in an immature system. New reefs cannot get away with water issues that a mature reef can handle.

EDIT: OP could probably use a couple of snails. Perhaps 3 or 4 trochus. My apologies. But I still dont think a crazy large CUC is a good way to cover up poor water quality.
I’ve thought about getting snails but last time my hermits raided, pillaged, plundered, and otherwise pilfered the snails’ measly black guts out. So I’ve gone without snails since then... so should I get a couple snails or a couple hermits?

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried testing the RODI from your LFS for nitrates? They might not be changing their filters often enough. Also, I’ve had the best luck with turbo snails for hair algae. That mow through that stuff like there no tomorrow.
I haven’t tested it... he used it in his own tanks so I’ve seen no problem

LeadHead83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tested it... he used it in his own tanks so I’ve seen no problem

I've just had one of my LFS waters tested and it came in well below par. Found out it was very low on Alk that but salinity was spot. When i asked about the salt he was using he was little cagey didn't want to tell me at first. I suspect he was using a cheap salt only suitable for fish only systems.

I've now changed to a better supply form a different LFS my water its slightly more expensive for 25ltrs but they use a RED Sea Coral Pro for there mix. They also offer an unsalted RODI with Mineral's for top offs which other LFS didn't.

A friend that's using the LFS for his water and he is having no end of issue with corals and just lost a recently purchased large colony of Acan's that wasn't cheap. I'm trying to convince him to change and get his water from different LFS.

Next time your in the LFS ask them for the brand of salt they use. also take small sample of their water to another LFS and ask them to do a complete test they may charge little bit to have it tested.

Most refers would always recommend getting an ICP test done they don't cost much.

https://www.triton-lab.de/en/icp-oes

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've just had one of my LFS waters tested and it came in well below par. Found out it was very low on Alk that but salinity was spot. When i asked about the salt he was using he was little cagey didn't want to tell me at first. I suspect he was using a cheap salt only suitable for fish only systems.

I've now changed to a better supply form a different LFS my water its slightly more expensive for 25ltrs but they use a RED Sea Coral Pro for there mix. They also offer an unsalted RODI with Mineral's for top offs which other LFS didn't.

A friend that's using the LFS for his water and he is having no end of issue with corals and just lost a recently purchased large colony of Acan's that wasn't cheap. I'm trying to convince him to change and get his water from different LFS.

Next time your in the LFS ask them for the brand of salt they use. also take small sample of their water to another LFS and ask them to do a complete test they may charge little bit to have it tested.

Most refers would always recommend getting an ICP test done they don't cost much.

What minerals do they add to the ro water I would like to do the same to mine

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t get my saltwater from my LFS, I just get RODI water in two five gallon bottles from my LFS and mix my salt at home. That way if I need to top off or perfect salinity I have some water left

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought about getting snails but last time my hermits raided, pillaged, plundered, and otherwise pilfered the snails’ measly black guts out. So I’ve gone without snails since then... so should I get a couple snails or a couple hermits?

Sounds like you have enough hermits already. I have had good luck with trochus snails and cowrie snails (bought off reef cleaners). My current snails have been with me for about 3 or 4 years. Your hermits were most likely scavenging a dead snail versus actually hunting them down and killing them. In my 25 gallon tank I have 1 trochus, 2 cowrie, 2 tongan nassarius. I also have WAY too many hermits due to breaking down a large tank recently and they have been slowly dieing off to reach a more appropriate number which would be around 3 crabs IMO.

Remember, though, that a CUC is not going to fix the issues that are causing the algae growth in the first place. You must fix your water issues. A CUC will help your tank find its natural balance but should never be looked at as some miracle cure to algae problems.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have enough hermits already. I have had good luck with trochus snails and cowrie snails (bought off reef cleaners). My current snails have been with me for about 3 or 4 years. Your hermits were most likely scavenging a dead snail versus actually hunting them down and killing them. In my 25 gallon tank I have 1 trochus, 2 cowrie, 2 tongan nassarius. I also have WAY too many hermits due to breaking down a large tank recently and they have been slowly dieing off to reach a more appropriate number which would be around 3 crabs IMO.

Remember, though, that a CUC is not going to fix the issues that are causing the algae growth in the first place. You must fix your water issues. A CUC will help your tank find its natural balance but should never be looked at as some miracle cure to algae problems.
alright, and I’m working on an RODI system at the moment. I’m sixteen and unemployed so it’ll be a while but I should mow enough lawns soon XD
I’ve been looking at this unit:
B1E22757-621D-490A-911C-2636D1EEB0F9.png

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, and I’m working on an RODI system at the moment. I’m sixteen and unemployed so it’ll be a while but I should mow enough lawns soon XD
I’ve been looking at this unit:
B1E22757-621D-490A-911C-2636D1EEB0F9.png

Only seems to be RO to me not RODI
Which is really only gonna bring your tds down to like 5-10 ppm(better but not that useful)

I feel you tho. When I first started thought it was a waste of money and I would rather buy a pretty coral, but when that pretty coral started getting smothered by HA I knew I made the wrong decision

This was like 8 years and I have such learned of the importance of 0 tds water

ChgoGoodGirl

Oooo Ill take that one... & that one... & that one
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never under estimate the power of a properly sized clean up crew. Gets is a link to get an idea of what you should have. https://reefcleaners.org/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=235&virtuemart_category_id=20

Reefcleaners.com is awesome. Very reasonable prices and free shipping on CUCs. Here is an example of how fast they work. There pix were taken 3 days apart.
20200710_065204.jpg
20200710_064841.jpg

I would even suggest adding extra dwarf ceirths just to help get it mowed down faster.

I am all for having a proper sized CUC, its very important. Buying a million snails will certainly help clean off algae that you have but once that food source is gone most of these guys will die, creating a worse nutrient problem. Don't forget that having this giant CUC is not fixing the problem that gave you algae in the first place. I know this from experience, been buying from reef cleaners for years. They have great critters at a great price but overdoing the CUC does not solve anything long term. This has been my experience anyways.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back