I don’t feed my tangs nori (algae) what about you?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by revhtree, Nov 13, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

485 vote(s)
    83.6%
  2. No

77 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Other

18 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 Cyber Monday Sponsor R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I’ve always fed my tangs nori or some other seaweed type food but I haven’t in a long time now! Maybe a year or so not too sure. My rocks are clean and my tangs are FAT!

What about you?

D58E9956-FEA3-435D-99EE-D247EC84A4DE.jpeg
    Image from @Mike&Terry

2. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

I'm kinda same boat as Rev. I used to feed nori more often, but haven't as much lately. Main reason is I'm lazy. My second reason is the tangs are always picking around the rocks/glass and seem to be pleasantly plump! I do feed LRS which has some in it as well. My TLF magnet started to rust also, maybe that's why I stopped too. Lol

spyder813, Hitman and KrisReef like this.
  3. Bmwm235i

Bmwm235i Valuable Member Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

I'm interested in hearing feedback. My first tang (white tail brisletooth) will arrive this Friday. I planned on feeding Hikari Seaweed Extreme as an substitute for nori sheets.

cracker and KrisReef like this.
  4. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

I most definitely do. They get a 1/2 sheet every day for 5 tangs. Not nearly enough to meet all their needs but as a supplement to what they graze on off the rocks. I find this especially important for my Hippo tang. They aren't true grazers and mine won't even take a sheet of algae. He waits for the other tangs and the Foxface to shred it and he cleans up what floats away.

jpgraft, code4, jt17 and 9 others like this.
  5. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Reef Tank 365 R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Heavy nori feeder; 8x8 sheet daily. Lasts a couple of minutes. I figure if I didn’t I’d have to make it up in frozen. Nutrients are nutrients. I also still use those grazer rings.

6. dragon99

dragon99 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Nori is too messy. Only have a tomini tang and he gets Hikari seaweed extreme a few times a week.

Hitman and KrisReef like this.
  7. PDR

PDR <°)))>{ R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 SCAA Member Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

I didn't used to feed nori but I recently started and my fish seem to love it.

Hitman and KrisReef like this.
  8. KrisReef

KrisReef Valuable Member

That seaweed is a good source of Iodine for the tank. I think it makes everything happier when I add a sheet for the tangs every now and again.

NY_Caveman and Hitman like this.
  9. Sailingeric

Sailingeric Active Member

I use the seaweed extreme, a little pinch every morning. Fat and happy Tang and my shrimp love it too.

code4, WetPets and Hitman like this.
  10. Hitman

Hitman SPS Addictions are real!!! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

I feed a full sheet a day. My Sailfin Tang and Emperor Angel destroy it in seconds! I don't think a sheet has ever lasted a full minute!!!

MKcat, jt17, WetPets and 4 others like this.
  11. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Reef Tank 365 R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Bristles are more slime and film algae eaters, as well as detritus, so not necessary to do nori. My chevron still doesn’t go for the clip much after 3 years.

Bmwm235i and Hitman like this.
  12. saltyhog

saltyhog blowing bubbles somewhere R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

I have virtually no macroalgae in the tank...quite a bit in the overflow and sump so I do feed it. I only have 1 tang but I feed 1/2 sheet a day. All of my fish eat it except my gobies and black cap basslet. The wrasses eat it a much as the tang and flame angel do. Surprisingly the Potter's wrasse is the biggest nori eater.

13. Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve Valuable Member

I feed my tangs nori 5 times a week, because its good stuff :mad:

The other two days they get meaty seafood mix ;Wacky

Captain Quint and Hitman like this.
  14. Swoody

Swoody Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I do...a Yellow and a White Tail BT...as well as my Bellus Angel and even my Bluethroat Trigger pair get in on the action....a third of a sheet per day never goes to waste!

Captain Quint likes this.
  15. happyhourhero

happyhourhero Burner of the Tips R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I do. My tangs, foxface and my hawkfish beg and wait all day for me to drop in the nori feeder.

JRAD and Captain Quint like this.
  16. Nburg

Nburg Reefing since 2006 R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I do about once or twice a week. My Kole will eat it, and my flame angel eats it too, but my Haliochearus Biocellatus wrasse kills it. The other two more or less pick off rhe scraps that float away.

17. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

My blue hippo won't touch nori pined to rock or a clip. he will eat with appetite if free floating .

18. sawdonkey

sawdonkey Valuable Member

I feed nori daily and my triggers, rabbit, and tang tear it up while my chromis, wrasse, and flows eat the small fly always.

19. Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef Always at your service R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

i havent fed nori in a while. even when i do they act like they dont care and 95% goes to waste. so i quit putting nori in the tank.
    Then i tried chopping it into small pieces and putting it in food i prepare and even then it goes unnoticed.
    I have over a dozen tangs in my 250gal tank and none pay attention to seaweed.

cracker likes this.
  20. Punchanello

Punchanello Active Member

I strongly suspect wasted nori was a big part of my recent nutrient problems. Prefer other ways to give them vegies.

siggy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted