I don’t feed my tangs nori (algae) what about you?

Do you feed your tangs nori?

• Yes

Votes: 509 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 85 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 18 2.9%

• Total voters

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Full sheet every day! I've got a two spot and a cuviers tang as well as a rabbitfish and angel. They all much on it. Even my wrasses tear bits off of it. From what I've read it is intestinally good for the fish much like how fiber is good for us.

Bigfudge

See, what had happened was...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped feeding Nori recently in hopes that my Yellow and Scopas tang will work on the Algae on the rocks. ;Meh They love it when I do feed it tho but I think it's made them lazy lol.

I use to have Sea Lettuce in the Fuge but it managed to migrate to the DT and take root on my aquascape. ;Nailbiting So far they haven't touched it :mad:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to have Sea Lettuce in the Fuge but it managed to migrate to the DT and take root on my aquascape. ;Nailbiting So far they haven't touched it :mad:
This stuff is evil. I can't believe people pay for it. Fortunately, my tangs and foxface eat it but I can't eradicate it from my fuge. It grows so fast and yet does so little. Smells bad when it grows out of the water, too. ;Punch

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one yellow, I give him like a 2x2" nori sheet maybe once every five days or so. My other fish seem to like it too :D. Sometimes I wonder if it is enough but he seems happy and healthy. I do feed flake a few times a week, which is part herbivorous which he eats too, plus any nori in LRS.

Bigfudge

See, what had happened was...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is evil. I can't believe people pay for it. Fortunately, my tangs and foxface eat it but I can't eradicate it from my fuge. It grows so fast and yet does so little. Smells bad when it grows out of the water, too. ;Punch

YUP! It was a rookie move! I had it, grew sooo fast in the fuge but I removed all of it I thought but apparently some small chunks made it to the DT and got into some crevices of the aquascape where I didn't see it and here I am today.

SurfLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early on I did. Tried. My Kole Tang wanted nothing to do with Nori. Every idea I tried, it ignored it. It may take a small bite from time to time but eventually moved on to sucking rocks. I have a feeder that dumps some pellets and veggie flakes daily. He likes the veggie flakes. He also fights for as much mysis and squid when I do that feeding in the evening. Have had him about, wow I just realized, almost 2 years. Very healthy, extremely active and happy fish :D

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut the sheets into 4 strips. Fold that in half and put it in the clip - then cut THAT into smaller strips they can tear off and slurp down. Once a day whenever I remember to do it, so not EVERY day. If I try to offer any more than that it just goes uneaten. I don't have any nuisance algae for them to graze on at all.

Perkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my powder brown tang and fox face piece every morning before I leave the house. They seem to love it and not much seems to get wasted they do a good job of cleaning it up. I also have my wife drop frozen food in sometime during the morning and once I get home in the evening I give them another helping of the frozen food

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add cut up sheets of nori into small pieces, the very tops of brocoli and cut up leaves of spinach into small pieces. The broccoli and spinach I also lightly steam. Add all of them to minced seafood and freeze. All my fish eat the seafood and veggies. Fish are all fat and disease free. And the majority of my fish are tangs.

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you guys just feed regular nori that is used to make sushi?
And just attached to a clip in the tank?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I buy the economy pack of sushi nori from the local oriental grocery store. Masago roe too.

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about every other day I put a 2 4x2" pieces in the algae grazer. it occupies them for a few hours, it's clean, then I'll take the remaining pieces that were under the plastic grate and free float them throughout the tank. most of it gets ate.

I bought 50 8" x 8" sheets of raw, unsalted sushi sheets for like $8.

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8x8 sheet every single day on each magnetic clip (2x). They devour it within an hour or so. And I only have three tangs (Powder Brown, Purple Tang and Tomini Tang) lol.

Last edited:

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a little piece on the clip for my yellow tang but he love more to nip on the rocks and love the pods so I never put it again.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did methodically but haven’t in a long time. Tangs are fat but it could be because they’re forced to eat the meat I feed everyone else. I’m not sure how healthy it is for them or the long term ramifications. I should probably start feeding nori again.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my Tangs Romaine Lettuce every three days and Prime Reef flake food twice a day daily.

Joshua Kerstetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tang I've ever had, Scopas, Yellow, Blue Naso, Percula, Sailfin, in either the QT or DT, refused to eat Nori, I've tried 3 varieties, nobody would touch it, on a clip, shredded, thin strips, hand fed, nothing. They love algae wafers, I normally feed basic saltwater flakes, and Hikari pellets, on the weekends, or a treat I feed several varieties of frozen cubes, but nobody.. eats Nori in my tank.. On a side note.. anyone want some Nori?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back