I don’t feed my tangs nori (algae) what about you?

Do you feed your tangs nori?

• Yes

Votes: 509 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 85 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 18 2.9%

• Total voters

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding this omega one, but just ordered in the ocean nutrition brand. It’s listed to have double the crude protein and a little over double the fat.
Not sure how much it matters, but sounded better to me :rolleyes:

93D1D300-D6A9-4918-9436-05F83F4F36DF.jpeg

CCAF1DBC-33AD-4EB1-B699-E6ADC1385BEA.jpeg

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried Nori seaweed, pellets, various frozen foods, and also tried adding selcon to the food. Nothing entices them to eat.
I would try live food - Go to your grocery story and get a clam / mussel alive and healthy. Then cut it open and chop up the pieces. Leave a little on the shell also. Then add to the tank. This is how I get new fish eating... I think the smell of the live food is what gets them going. I also do live black worms... Harder to find and keep alive tho... I am sure that feeding live enhances the color of the fish both salt and fresh.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One sheet of nori every other day for my six tangs

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed them seaweed pretty regularly (like 2-3 times a week), but even when I did, they ate anything I threw in the tank anyway. Frozen mysis, krill, spirulina brine shrimp, LRS, dry pellets, flakes, whatever. I now only give them seaweed when I happen to think of it, which might be every 2-3 weeks. They are all fat, happy (as far as I can tell), and healthy.

mikes686

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I occasionally feed nori, but it's so messy. I almost always keep a piece of bok choy clipped into the tank. Most of my guys will chomp on it. They eat the green part first then the white veins to the stalk.

Guttersnipe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feed frozen meaty foods. I don’t think my purple tang is complaining. He’s in very good shape and has a
Vibrant color on him.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made an acrylic thingy thing with a nori clip at the end. No wet hands! I removed the suction cup and zip stripped it to my acrylic thing. The fish loved it and devoured a piece every day.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly suspect wasted nori was a big part of my recent nutrient problems. Prefer other ways to give them vegies.

I have been feeding this omega one, but just ordered in the ocean nutrition brand. It’s listed to have double the crude protein and a little over double the fat.
Not sure how much it matters, but sounded better to me :rolleyes:
Where is the protein and fat coming from ???...... I had a huge nutrient problem ( Triton sump no/sock :mad: )and dialed back to two cubes frozen daily and have it under control so I feed the 2 cubes and do pellets or nori 2 or 3 days a week 1/4 sheet and the tangs just attack it. ...I agree they do graze more when you limit it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mostly green nori, but occasionally red (it’s much softer and gets ripped out of the clip). It all gets eaten in, well, about 30 seconds. Oink, oink ......

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^^LOL!!! ......Beautiful BTW

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mostly green nori, but occasionally red (it’s much softer and gets ripped out of the clip). It all gets eaten in, well, about 30 seconds. Oink, oink ......

I love that the magnet can be placed low to observe a more natural grazing frenzy. So enjoyable to watch your fish. But I like that my arms stay dry with my acrylic thing.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using sushi dried mori for many years and recently bought the two little fishies brand. The two little fishies brand came apart and made bits and pieces all over the place. Tonight I got my usual nori.
IMG_3626.JPG

Also thought I would share a picture of my acrylic nori clip thing.
IMG_3625.JPG

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to bump this thread with a very simple question:

Why the heck would I feed nori if there’s plenty of algae to eat???

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You wouldn’t....but there isn’t plenty of algae to eat in most tanks. If there is enough algae, your tank wouldn’t be very pleasing to look at.

My tank has no algae except the film stuff that grows on the glass. Even when I scrape the glass, the fish suck it up.

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn’t....but there isn’t plenty of algae to eat in most tanks. If there is enough algae, your tank wouldn’t be very pleasing to look at.

My tank has no algae except the film stuff that grows on the glass. Even when I scrape the glass, the fish suck it up.

I usually leave the side glass and back glass with film algae. There’s also some hair algae on my pumps that my blenny enjoys eating.

Gonzo74

Nibbling on sponge cake...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine leave the GHA alone. They must be picky.

Working on getting rid of that though. After that, I may feed them some once a week.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back