I don’t feed my tangs nori (algae) what about you?

Do you feed your tangs nori?

• Yes

Votes: 509 83.2%
  • No

Votes: 85 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 18 2.9%

• Total voters

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine leave the GHA alone. They must be picky.

Working on getting rid of that though. After that, I may feed them some once a week.

Mine leave hair algae and mainly go for the film algae on the rocks and back glass (not the front, so I gotta clean it! Ha!) I feel like my blenny does way more work.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the heck would I feed nori if there’s plenty of algae to eat???

You can soften up nori with selcon, which is a fantastic additive for keeping fish healthy, including for avoiding or curing hlle in tangs.

U

User1

View Badges
I feed it - both purple and red. It is a balance if truth be told. If the tank is mature enough and the algae can grow equal to the pace of those who eat it, then it is a win win and balanced. On the other hand if the algae eating crew is faster than what the tanks grow rate you need to supplement. There is no option because it is a natural part of their diet.

In about 3 or so months I'll be restarting my IPSF micro algae refugium/grow out which is what I used to supplemental feed my tangs. They will get the real deal instead of the dried. My Lt. Tank can down 2 sheets daily if I let him/her (and I used to). Now I put in one sheet a day for it and the rabbit fish which they both make short work of.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the heck would I feed nori if there’s plenty of algae to eat???

If there is observable green algae in your tank then withholding supplemental algae/nori is a good way to motivate your fish to eat it. My tangs, angels, parrot eat all the naturally occurring algae so i have to supplement. I had been feeding a 8x8 sheet daily, but cut back to every other day as nutrients are climbing a bit.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are long and steady reports about the benefits of Selcon. Have used it for years.. and love the stuff. It will not cure HLLE if the parameters of the rest of the tank are not solid and proper.
Off topic sorry.. It simply depend out what else you have going, what else you feed, age of the tank , stock of the tank ect. I can report.,,, having and when if feed the nori on a regular basis the white in the faces of my male and female scribble to show. If I do not feed nori they lose the white portion.

Hammer100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i rubberband a small amount to a rock and drop it in daily. Wrasses and tangs love it.

Back