OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you could just observe things carefully for the moment - but if spots show up on the clowns, that would pretty much confirm ich and you'd want to get started on a treatment.

Jay
I will keep a close eye while I get a QT setup. I can’t imagine having to move my clowns, they barely ever leave their anemone it would be a nightmare lol

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Hi Jay I’m looking at getting Cupramine, and then a Salifert copper test kit as part of the QT setup

Are you able to confirm if those products are duds or are any good?

here’s the test kit, I assume you know what cupramine is lol https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/s...rofi-test-kits/salifert-copper-profi-test-kit

Also tagging @vetteguy53081
Yes, the range of the Salifert kit is right in line with Cupramine.
Remember - get to a full dose in about 24 hours. Never use reducing agents with Cupramine - Prime, formalin and other ammonia removers may cause problems.
Jay

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the range of the Salifert kit is right in line with Cupramine.
Remember - get to a full dose in about 24 hours. Never use reducing agents with Cupramine - Prime, formalin and other ammonia removers may cause problems.
Jay

@Jay Hemdal does AmGuard from Seachem count in this group of "reducing agents"?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal does AmGuard from Seachem count in this group of "reducing agents"?

Yes - it is, do not use that with Cupramine (and perhaps other amine-based copper medications). Here is what SeaChem says:

It's safe to use AmGuard™ alongside any of Seachem®'s products except Cupramine™. If AmGuard™ is added to a tank that contains Cupramine™, it converts the Cupramine™ into a more toxic form.

Jay

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - it is, do not use that with Cupramine (and perhaps other amine-based copper medications). Here is what SeaChem says:

It's safe to use AmGuard™ alongside any of Seachem®'s products except Cupramine™. If AmGuard™ is added to a tank that contains Cupramine™, it converts the Cupramine™ into a more toxic form.

Jay

Sorry to revive this old thread but I'm hoping i didnt just screw up.

I have Ich in my DT and working to get my fish out tin QT now. I have had the QT tanks up and running for about 6 weeks. I started them with Fritz 9 and they had fish in them for 4 weeks. I have left them running. I did not medicate them with copper, this was observational only. I did use AmGuard to keep ammonia down but there was no Copper so it seemed ok.

No, I need to get everyone out of DT and into those QT's to treat Ich. I tested the water in both and both came back as between 0 and 0.2. Out of habit i dropped a capful of AmGuard into each without thinking that I need to start treating both tanks with copper.

How bad did I mess up? is one dose going to hurt these animals once they go in?

How do people get ammonia out of a QT once they start medicating?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo has it too and was told
To make sure his diet is good and it will go, every system has it just one thing to trigger it
What you described is ich management, which rarely works out long term. Ich never “goes away” by keeping a fish happy. It’ll just lie dormant, reproduce, and come back in greater numbers. Although some people maintain systems with ich just fine, it is far easier and safer to eradicate the ich. In my opinion, a thriving reef system should not have ich or any parasite in it, otherwise you are simply waiting for an severe outbreak.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive this old thread but I'm hoping i didnt just screw up.

I have Ich in my DT and working to get my fish out tin QT now. I have had the QT tanks up and running for about 6 weeks. I started them with Fritz 9 and they had fish in them for 4 weeks. I have left them running. I did not medicate them with copper, this was observational only. I did use AmGuard to keep ammonia down but there was no Copper so it seemed ok.

No, I need to get everyone out of DT and into those QT's to treat Ich. I tested the water in both and both came back as between 0 and 0.2. Out of habit i dropped a capful of AmGuard into each without thinking that I need to start treating both tanks with copper.

How bad did I mess up? is one dose going to hurt these animals once they go in?

How do people get ammonia out of a QT once they start medicating?

The chemistry between Amguard and Cupramine isn't clear to me (since they hide their formulations as trade secrets). I can only go with what they tell us (as I posted before).

If you added Amguard to tanks with ammonia, but no copper yet, you should be o.k. - the Amguard will react with the ammonia and reduce it, then a day or two later, you should be able to add cuypramine (this is how it works with dechlorinator anyway).

Jay

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chemistry between Amguard and Cupramine isn't clear to me (since they hide their formulations as trade secrets). I can only go with what they tell us (as I posted before).

If you added Amguard to tanks with ammonia, but no copper yet, you should be o.k. - the Amguard will react with the ammonia and reduce it, then a day or two later, you should be able to add cuypramine (this is how it works with dechlorinator anyway).

Jay
Thx Jay, appreciate the help!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back