I dont know how anyone could trust a Cobalt Neotherm heater

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have a 150w Neotherm that I bought when I had my last tank a few years ago. I only used it for about 4months or so before I took that tank down. Fast forward to when I setup this tank almost a year ago and contacted them about the issue about them splitting. they told me the serial fell within the range of them but wouldnt do anything unless it actually broke and offered me a lame 50% off in their store but I could buy it on amazon everyday at that discounted price.
So i didnt use it for this tank and just used it for heating water changes. So i was just making a bucket of water and went to check the temp and felt slight sting on finger. At first I thought was a cut on my finger sting from saltwater. After it happened again I unplugged the pump and heater and it stopped. plugged pump in and nothing. Plugged heater in and small sting again. So for very limited use of this heater it failed and was slightly shocking me. Between the customer service of not wanting to do anything about a known batch that mine fell in and now it shocking me I would never use another cobalt product or recommend it to anyone. @cobalt

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every company will have manuafacturing flaws. If s unfortunate that you had one. Although i agree you probably should've gotten it replaced by the company if it was already starting to fall apart after a short time frame. However the general concensus here is that they are very good and accurate heaters. You wouldnt know the number of times my aqueon heaters broke. Heck one broke a few months ago and my water temp was 55 degrees. Ive found in my own experience that they are more reliable than what you'll find on most store shelves and far more accurate at that. However this hobby is heavily based on personal experience. If you dont want to take the chance again then buy a different brand.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
used several different sizes for years. no issues.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters not matter how "good" they are probably the most failure prone piece of equipment we use on our aquariums. I have had many fail and just as many last for years. Aqueon has been the worse for me, thermostats failing and they would just stop working. I have been lucky and have not have one blow up, leak current or stick on to point if cooking my tank. Jager heaters have always been reliable for me so thats what recommend. I do use my controller to run the heater and have several alarms set if I have any type of heater failure.

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well from something with such little use and the way they handled the situation where my heater batch was part of the questionable ones that were blowing up and they didnt want to do anything about it except give me 50% off. I will never buy anything from them.

OP
OP
J

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i let Cobalt know of my issue and got this reply
"Hi Jon,
I was not here a year ago. Customer service has changed since then. If I would have been there I would have warrantied that heater simply because it was questionable. Better the customer has confidence and peace of mind than a few dollars in a heater. I sincerely would like to improve your perception of us and our products. Let me know how I can help you.
Thanks, Keith"

This I would say is a good thing to hear. Compared to my last email experience about a year ago

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got like 5 of them for all of my tanks and I just bought 2-300W heaters for my new build.
I only use cheap heaters for mixing water.

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the 150's in my display failed tonight. Thankfully I have them on an APEX. The bright red LED uncontrollable failure. I had a pair of 25w's go bad in the last couple of months as well, both with the exact same issue. None cracked, but are pretty much unusable as they no longer have the temp control function. All were about a year and a half old.

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters not matter how "good" they are probably the most failure prone piece of equipment we use on our aquariums. I have had many fail and just as many last for years. Aqueon has been the worse for me, thermostats failing and they would just stop working. I have been lucky and have not have one blow up, leak current or stick on to point if cooking my tank. Jager heaters have always been reliable for me so thats what recommend. I do use my controller to run the heater and have several alarms set if I have any type of heater failure.
Exactly. They WILL fail! Its a matter of when. Less likely when you get emersion type made for hot tubs. They still fail too it's only when, not if!,,
Best heater in the world, the one on a controller!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have every heater type fail on me at one point or another, but I agree, I have had higher failures with those then much cheaper brands. Mine never split....just stopped working.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't reuse heaters.

Too many bad experiences.

That being said, cheap heaters on a controller are usually what I use now. I have eheim's for the new build only because they were on sale really cheap. But, I have had them fail as well.

I won't ever run a heater on a display tank without a controller again.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a old post but today's equipment is meant to fail. The good ole days equipment was meant to last. Everything from appliances to today's home construction to aquarium heaters are poorly made. The only thing that has really gotten better are automobiles. Today's generation has just accepted that as the way things are. Reefing actually was easier 25 years ago than it is now. Because you didn't need redundantcy to have a great long lasting reef. Today's tech and controllers are needed to babysit the junk sold today. That and the fact that most refers today are just plain lazy. But, that's our society today.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a old post but today's equipment is meant to fail. The good ole days equipment was meant to last. Everything from appliances to today's home construction to aquarium heaters are poorly made. The only thing that has really gotten better are automobiles. Today's generation has just accepted that as the way things are. Reefing actually was easier 25 years ago than it is now. Because you didn't need redundantcy to have a great long lasting reef. Today's tech and controllers are needed to babysit the junk sold today. That and the fact that most refers today are just plain lazy. But, that's our society today.

@Thaxxx I could see you and I being great friends! :)

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 heaters, when I need 1 to heat my tank. Redundancy is key. I also have 2 separate temp probes on my apex, along with the temp probes on the heaters.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back