****I don't think this Acro factoid can be stressed enough for forlks who want to get into acro keeping

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros, like most corals we keep *love* to be fed.

They may look good for days, and even weeks. Acros are the master of the poker face. By the time they start looking unhealthy - it's already too late, they've hurting for awhile.

Always test test test. it takes 5 minutes. 1 to 2x a week test your nutrients. Have excellent export methods (Fuge, skimmer), but make sure you are importing lots of food as well.

I think this hobby is still too afraid of nutrients and algae; you can control those, but the fact remains if it comes at the expense of acros, they will likely die

AcroFan144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. How do we determine if we are feeding enough food, provided that nutrients are under control?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your input = output, and you have some detectable nutrients, you should be good. I feed heavy in my 80G cube(3 large chunks of PE mysis, LRS, and PE calunus) every day to 8 fish and several corals(Notice I do not use coral food). With an ATS, and skimmer my input = output, as my nutrient level never changes(no3 = 5ppm, po4 = .02 - .03).

Ive seen beautiful reef tanks in every parameter in regards to nutrients, but my biggest take away is you need at the very least detectable(no3, po4) nutrients.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back