I dosed reef flux today……..

Nikoliter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling gha for sometime. I have had zero nitrates and phosphates, and I can’t get the readings up to support my coral because the algae starts to take over. I decided to try some reef flux to knock out the gha and then work on trying to increase nitrates and phosphate. I have a couple of small acros, zoas, blastos, a couple of Goni, scoly, and shrooms. I dosed the reef flux at 7am this morning. So far most of the coral seems ok except the blasto. The polyps seem to be curling up. My main tank is a red 250. I have a small 10 gallon biocube with a damsel in it. Should I consider moving my blasto to the 10 gallon tank?

74BE8265-2A47-46D9-8164-F90BC26EF292.jpeg

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never treated system with reef flux but will say def watch your nutrient levels in the coming days. As algae and bacteria die it will release nutrients back into water.
Did you follow instructions to the T?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used reflux 3 times now in my 850 gallon system. I have finally beat the GHA. I have 3 blasto's in my tank and they all three reacted as yours are. I followed the instructions to a T and am happy to report all 3 Blasto's survived and are now flurishing and growing now. The battle of GHA is a tough one, but I am 100% through it now. Lost some Acros but everything else fared well. I hope you have the same luck as I did.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used reef flux twice myself and had no issues at all and most my corals are SPS. I followed the instructions but instead of a WC I ran carbon and skimmed wet. My GHA wasn't all that bad the second time, but the first time was a little heavy. No issues either time.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be looking to see how you progress. I dosed reef flux yesterday but for bryopsis. I’ve been putting it off amd manually removing for a while but I see it starting to spread. I’ve read horror stories of acros being wiped out so I was hesitant. I’ve seen people report mostly everything else might get ticked but fares well so I’m sure you’ll be good.

I microwaved some RODI water and poured it into a rinsed out water bottle. Put the flux in and that made the flux dissolve 100%. Let it cool and nothing was on the bottom. I then followed the instructions and poured it into the display in high flow. I’m the past I’ve had things like nems get super ticked but not this time. I think it had to due with it fully dissolving this go around. For what that’s worth, incase you need more than one treatment. It might be worth a shot!

OP
OP
N

Nikoliter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never treated system with reef flux but will say def watch your nutrient levels in the coming days. As algae and bacteria die it will release nutrients back into water.
Did you follow instructions to the T?
I have so far.

OP
OP
N

Nikoliter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used reef flux twice myself and had no issues at all and most my corals are SPS. I followed the instructions but instead of a WC I ran carbon and skimmed wet. My GHA wasn't all that bad the second time, but the first time was a little heavy. No issues either time.
Did you wait the 3 days before turning on and skimmer and adding carbon ?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dosed Reef Flux several times with no issues. I have even dosed it at 1.5 times recommended dosage with no issues. It really just depends on the individual tank. If any issue arise, they will not happen for at least 24 hours and likely a few days out.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do turn back on your skimmer, scale it back a great deal as it will overflow. ;)

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Used twice in my previous tank.

Took out bryopsis with no issues. I think 8 days.

No issues with corals

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back