I dropped a Utility Blade in my 210, Help Please

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is a first for me.....I was cutting out some frags from my tank and accidently dropped a utility blade in the rocks of my packed 210g reef. I have numerous sps, lps softies etc. Man am I in trouble if I leave it in. I have approx 500lbs of lr in there and it would be a two day project to try to find it. The blade it the type shaped like a triangle. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and please tell me it will be okay.......

OP
OP
E

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the blade magnetic? can you dangle a magnet by some string to get the blade?

Man I cant even see it, it dropped way down in the rocks. I'm assuming it is steel. It is .025" thick.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig's is a good idea.....I would look up on google metal in reef tanks and see what you come up with......

OP
OP
E

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craig's is a good idea.....I would look up on google metal in reef tanks and see what you come up with......

Yea great idea, I know we add iron ect. for supplements. I was hoping someone already did the research....There has to be a chemist on here or someone who knows the reaction it will produce

Last edited:

CHAR3

ZOAKEEPERS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
magnets.

Ace and I suppose other hardware stores sell a pocket fold out magnet. Very thin. You can stick it in cracks and they extend to about 18 to 24 inches. Worth a try. cheap too. couple of bucks. The steel in saltwater will rust rather quickly.

OP
OP
E

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ace and I suppose other hardware stores sell a pocket fold out magnet. Very thin. You can stick it in cracks and they extend to about 18 to 24 inches. Worth a try. cheap too. couple of bucks. The steel in saltwater will rust rather quickly.

Thanks... Yea I know and wonder what the result might be if it left to rust away.....

chazz-66

Zoo Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recently dropped a single edge blade in my 150 that I could not see. I went on a couple of different boards and asked the same question. The general consensus was that it will be allright, but just remember it is in there when you aquascape or break down the tank!

OP
OP
E

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recently dropped a single edge blade in my 150 that I could not see. I went on a couple of different boards and asked the same question. The general consensus was that it will be allright, but just remember it is in there when you aquascape or break down the tank!

Thanks chazz-66, mabey I'll be able to sleep tonight....

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will be ok..........but you should try to get it out instead of forgetting about it.

maybe glue a magnet on the end of a long piece of 1/4 inch rigid tubing and wave it around the rocks and stuff.

OP
OP
E

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will be ok..........but you should try to get it out instead of forgetting about it.

maybe glue a magnet on the end of a long piece of 1/4 inch rigid tubing and wave it around the rocks and stuff.[/QUOT

Thanks surfn, I'll give it a try.....

kurbs

Zoa & Paly Luva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a blade that small in a tank that large you would be ok. just run a butt load of carbon and poly filter and you should be ok. now if it were in a smaller tank then i'd really panic.

just my opinion - no chemist :)

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd say that it is iron judging from the way those thing rust. I agree w/ the previous post to run heavy carbon and do what you can do get it our but don't panic it should be ok. it does not contain any copper so you should be straight.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back