I exposed my new sponge to air for literally 1 second....

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that going to be the end of it?

I had the bag of water in one hand and the sponge in the other. I tipped over to put the bag of water in a bucket and raised the hand with the sponge in it.

dang I am stupid...

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the bag of water in one hand and the sponge in the other. I tipped over to put the bag of water in a bucket and raised the hand with the sponge in it.

dang I am stupid...
You should be fine. Just rotate the sponge under water and in a few directions a few time make sure no air bubbles are trapped.

I grow sponges in my macro tank and they all have hit air for a little bit at one point or another.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you gents. I bought some corals and sponges and a feather duster for my bosses tank.

20220125_111302.jpg

The sponge in question is the one between the Zoa's and the Hammer coral.

I got him that red sponge and the 2 gorgonians and a red/purple duster.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you gents. I bought some corals and sponges and a feather duster for my bosses tank.

20220125_111302.jpg

The sponge in question is the one between the Zoa's and the Hammer coral.

I got him that red sponge and the 2 gorgonians and a red/purple duster.
Those guys will be fine exposed to air for a bit, as long as they do not dry out or have trapped air bubbles. I have quite a few of them. They are called Agelas clathrodes and are commonly referred to as elephant ear sponge. They are quite easy to keep also.

What kind of gorg is that on the left? Cant really tell, but looks like a yellow finger gorg. If so, the are non-photoysynthetic and will some form of food dosed to tank to survive.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those guys will be fine exposed to air for a bit, as long as they do not dry out or have trapped air bubbles. I have quite a few of them. They are called Agelas clathrodes and are commonly referred to as elephant ear sponge. They are quite easy to keep also.

What kind of gorg is that on the left? Cant really tell, but looks like a yellow finger gorg. If so, the are non-photoysynthetic and will some form of food dosed to tank to survive.

It is a yellow finger. I have a lot of phyto we put in the tank and have some Artemis liquid plankton on the way by tomorrow. I have no problem turning the pumps off and spot feeding things.

The other one I got was a photosynthetic purple gorgonian. (You barely see it behind the hammer coral.)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a yellow finger. I have a lot of phyto we put in the tank and have some Artemis liquid plankton on the way by tomorrow. I have no problem turning the pumps off and spot feeding things.

The other one I got was a photosynthetic purple gorgonian. (You barely see it behind the hammer coral.)
Then you should be good. My yellow is growing like mad and looks nuts on just phyto and small bits of fish food it catches lol.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one that I have seen that is a yellow gorgonian but it has purple little "flowers/polyps" on it and I never see it available anywhere.

That would be my must have in the future.

roboshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one that I have seen that is a yellow gorgonian but it has purple little "flowers/polyps" on it and I never see it available anywhere.

That would be my must have in the future.
This?

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you should be good. My yellow is growing like mad and looks nuts on just phyto and small bits of fish food it catches lol.
You are causing me to reconsider another yellow gorg lol.... mine lasted about 5 months, and never really seemed too happy, BUT that was before I started dosing live phyto.... I don't feed roids or such and don't want to start. Thoughts? Phyto, and the general feeding enough? Say yes, I love the look of em....

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are causing me to reconsider another yellow gorg lol.... mine lasted about 5 months, and never really seemed too happy, BUT that was before I started dosing live phyto.... I don't feed roids or such and don't want to start. Thoughts? Phyto, and the general feeding enough? Say yes, I love the look of em....
Mine is over 2 years now and has been fragged a ton. It gets phyto dosed to the whole tank once an hour, food (diy) fed to tank 6 times a day. 2 of those times are pellets, so only 4 of my diy mix. DIY has freeze dried pods, baby brine and a ton of other things.

With that said, If you can provide a contact supply of food, it should be fine. If not, you may need to spot feed it to keep it healthy.

OP
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave the yellow finger it's first snack. Seemed pretty happy with it.
20220126_120225.jpg

Purple gorgonian looks bad...

20220126_120212.jpg

It looks like it has tissue damage half way up. A hermit crab was walking on it and was picking at something. Not sure if this one is going to make it. It had it's little white buds out yesterday but today it is ticked... Maybe the hammer coral whacked it...

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave the yellow finger it's first snack. Seemed pretty happy with it.
20220126_120225.jpg

Purple gorgonian looks bad...

20220126_120212.jpg

It looks like it has tissue damage half way up. A hermit crab was walking on it and was picking at something. Not sure if this one is going to make it. It had it's little white buds out yesterday but today it is ticked... Maybe the hammer coral whacked it...
Could have been whacked. I have had luck cutting the bad parts out, putting good parts as frags and all of it growing.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dang I am stupid...
A vendor that grows sponges once gave me a tip.
If you ever need to move a sponge out of water give it a bump with your finger first. It will close all its pores as a reaction and you can safely move it. If coarse don't leave it to long out of water.
Cheers.

roboshark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A vendor that grows sponges once gave me a tip.
If you ever need to move a sponge out of water give it a bump with your finger first. It will close all its pores as a reaction and you can safely move it. If coarse don't leave it to long out of water.
Cheers.
Interesting

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back