I feel like my tank is too clean… but is it?

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger is always better, but with bigger comes huge sums of money, its well worth it to learn how to "micromanage" a small tank and see if this is something you are truly into prior to spending tens of thousands of dollars on a huge tank.
I may be biased because that was my first reef tank - but I believe the Biocube is an excellent place to start. I actually started with the 14 gallon biocube. There was a nearly identical tank back then called the Nanocube (by JBJ I believe) it seems the better of the two survived :)
Nanotubes still exist but one is much more popular for sure. My LFS has a JBJ Nanocube 28 anemone tank that is stunning.
Its not that your tank is "too clean" its that you have a low bioload and low "available nutrient". This is why it seems that you have little algae growth, this is also why your rocks are still "white" and is slow to mature

Torchs are doing well bc you likely have good stability bc your nutrients don't fluctuate. Also they can get most of what they need from light so at least in the short term (yes 6 month is short) they can appear "happy". They are generally hardy corals

Available nutrient doesn't discriminate where its going to - whether to algae or to coral. When nutrient is limited, growth of all life forms are limited. What you currently have just means that things take longer to grow and mature. If you are OK with that, there is no reason to change.
I’d rather have a slow moving and algae less (for the most part) tank. I have definitely learned the virtue of patience.
Agree 100% except for the lights. I thought the stock ones were good until I upgraded.
What lights did you upgrade to? I’m considering upgrading but the lights aren’t that ugly (or maybe I haven’t seen the other alternatives). Definitely don’t like the whites. Love the pink and blues though

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put the new dry rocks under the live rock, you have just put all that lovely coraline and other stuff in the shade.
Glued so I can’t now. I put a small piece of live rock on top of the dry rock for some could start up there but it hasn’t done a whole lot. Again, it’s going to happen, it just may take a little while which I’m fine with

jskoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanotubes still exist but one is much more popular for sure. My LFS has a JBJ Nanocube 28 anemone tank that is stunning.

I’d rather have a slow moving and algae less (for the most part) tank. I have definitely learned the virtue of patience.

What lights did you upgrade to? I’m considering upgrading but the lights aren’t that ugly (or maybe I haven’t seen the other alternatives). Definitely don’t like the whites. Love the pink and blues though
I went with Steve’s with iridescent booster. Truly an amazing difference. I’m running at about 60% right now. Sps are thriving.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Steve’s with iridescent booster. Truly an amazing difference. I’m running at about 60% right now. Sps are thriving.
May or may not be worth spending $400 but I’ll definitely consider it as a long time from now purchase. Have heard of them several times before but I never bothered. May go with some Kessils or AIs and mount them under the hood like I have seen before

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a link for OP https://www.stevesleds.com/Biocube-32-LED-Turbo-Upgrade-System-Plug-and-Play_p_332.html
Though not necessary if not keeping SPS corals at this time, but your tank is a SPS dream with those levels, just sayin :)
The phosphate and nitrate levels id agree with except for the fact my calcium and alk levels are a little low. It’s because I use instant ocean purple bucket. I plan to start dosing and maybe stop water changes all together in the next few months-year. Calcium: 390. Alk: 7.6-7.8

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from what I gather, seems you are worried based on what some others are saying? Sit back, enjoy, there will be plenty of time to worry down the road trust me lol. ;)
Just made me question. I’m sure there’s a lot waiting for me, good and bad, very soon.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just made me question. I’m sure there’s a lot waiting for me, good and bad, very soon.
There is....more good than bad. Trust me there too lol. Not even VERY SOON, It's a journey, take the time to enjoy the great moments. You have one current.
I'm always tinkering a bit, specifically lately as you previously mentioned here, with a couple small birdsnest and a Monti over last few months. They aren't growing prolific, but aren't dieing either. Thus we have a project, and a momentary victory, which could change at any time. Researching and trying new things is part of the fun imo. If one try fails and one succeeds, concentrate on that success and replicate it best you can, don't dwell, and especially don't dwell on numbers. What works for you best is ok right? ... somebody else is same params but off or on with flow, lighting.... That's my best advise.

Back