I formed an unlikely bond with a Bristle Worm

1armfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of backstory for frame of reference, I started a mixed reef 20g cube 10 months ago and it has actually been going very smoothly. Never had any major issues like pests or bacteria or algae.

A few months ago though, during my normal feeding schedule, I noticed a hairy tentacle extending out from a rock on the sandbed and grabbing small piece of shrimp.

My first major pest I thought! I was actually excited to deal with it! I put some tweezers in to grab him and he immediately retreated to his cave.

Dang, looks like he’ll be harder to deal with than I thought. Time to figure out exactly what I’m dealing with! I came to R2R for an ID and as always you guys never fail to deliver.

Turns out it was a bristle worm! After doing some more research I decided it would be more trouble to try and get him out than it was worth. He became a part of my CUC for better or for worse.

Fast forward to last week, I’m hanging out by the tank around 11pm. The tank lights have been off for a couple of hours by now and what do i notice in the corner of my eye? The Bristle Worm had completely left his cave and was exploring the edge of the glass. I knew I had to act fast! I jumped for my long tweezers and attacked the water like an Osprey.

Got him… I had him clasped in a death grip between the tweezers! I slowly pull him out and put him on the kitchen table to inspect this baby sea monster and see what he looks like up close.

He was ugly, nasty spines and a mouth that looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. As tried to figure out how to dispatch him, I watched as he withered and gasped for life desperately opening and closing its mouth hoping for relief. Trying to wiggle is way to safety. The safety he knew in the habitat I provided.

I started to feel pity.

My pity quickly turned into empathy. He wasn’t hurting anything. I realized the only reason I wanted him out was because the world deemed him a pest. I began thinking about my love for this hobby and the responsibility that comes with creating and sustaining a reef, my passion for conservation and taking the good with the bad.

I couldn’t let this sea monster die. As long as his presence is not harming any of his tank mates, he’s just as deserving of a happy life as my most prized corals.

At this point he is still on my kitchen table, slowly dying. Not moving much anymore. I picked him up and he’s barely able to hold himself up. I walked him back to the tank took one last look and put him back next to a rock. It took him a second to recover but he eventually went under the rock.

This whole thing gave me a new respect and love for creatures that may be deemed pests. Obviously not all are equal but maybe we should think about what conservation and reef husbandry means next time we’re about to deal with a pest. Aesthetic perfection should not be paramount to a living creature that is considered undesirable. At the end of the day, our oceans are filled with pests that all have their place in the ecosystem and food chain.

Believe it or not, this experience has made that little Bristle Worm my favorite tank tenant and I’m always excited when he decides to come out and say hello. I have noticed a bunch of other Bristle worms since seeing him and I’m just happy he has friends. If they start to be a problem and harm other tenants, I’ll have to do something, but for now I’m just enjoying their presence.

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind my bristle worm(s), either! I I have at least one, but I suspect there are at least two. I just call it/them all "Ralph" whenever I see them (usually at night, occasionally during feeding time).

But, I also spent a not insignificant amount of college time stomping around the marsh digging up polychaetes for the lab, so I'm a little predisposed to not mind them. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A bit of backstory for frame of reference, I started a mixed reef 20g cube 10 months ago and it has actually been going very smoothly. Never had any major issues like pests or bacteria or algae.

A few months ago though, during my normal feeding schedule, I noticed a hairy tentacle extending out from a rock on the sandbed and grabbing small piece of shrimp.

My first major pest I thought! I was actually excited to deal with it! I put some tweezers in to grab him and he immediately retreated to his cave.

Dang, looks like he’ll be harder to deal with than I thought. Time to figure out exactly what I’m dealing with! I came to R2R for an ID and as always you guys never fail to deliver.

Turns out it was a bristle worm! After doing some more research I decided it would be more trouble to try and get him out than it was worth. He became a part of my CUC for better or for worse.

Fast forward to last week, I’m hanging out by the tank around 11pm. The tank lights have been off for a couple of hours by now and what do i notice in the corner of my eye? The Bristle Worm had completely left his cave and was exploring the edge of the glass. I knew I had to act fast! I jumped for my long tweezers and attacked the water like an Osprey.

Got him… I had him clasped in a death grip between the tweezers! I slowly pull him out and put him on the kitchen table to inspect this baby sea monster and see what he looks like up close.

He was ugly, nasty spines and a mouth that looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. As tried to figure out how to dispatch him, I watched as he withered and gasped for life desperately opening and closing its mouth hoping for relief. Trying to wiggle is way to safety. The safety he knew in the habitat I provided.

I started to feel pity.

My pity quickly turned into empathy. He wasn’t hurting anything. I realized the only reason I wanted him out was because the world deemed him a pest. I began thinking about my love for this hobby and the responsibility that comes with creating and sustaining a reef, my passion for conservation and taking the good with the bad.

I couldn’t let this sea monster die. As long as his presence is not harming any of his tank mates, he’s just as deserving of a happy life as my most prized corals.

At this point he is still on my kitchen table, slowly dying. Not moving much anymore. I picked him up and he’s barely able to hold himself up. I walked him back to the tank took one last look and put him back next to a rock. It took him a second to recover but he eventually went under the rock.

This whole thing gave me a new respect and love for creatures that may be deemed pests. Obviously not all are equal but maybe we should think about what conservation and reef husbandry means next time we’re about to deal with a pest. Aesthetic perfection should not be paramount to a living creature that is considered undesirable. At the end of the day, our oceans are filled with pests that all have their place in the ecosystem and food chain.

Believe it or not, this experience has made that little Bristle Worm my favorite tank tenant and I’m always excited when he decides to come out and say hello. I have noticed a bunch of other Bristle worms since seeing him and I’m just happy he has friends. If they start to be a problem and harm other tenants, I’ll have to do something, but for now I’m just enjoying their presence.

This literally made my heart break a little and then heal again! :) I feel the exact same way. I think it's a good practice to have a little place for critters in your sump or a place where they can live but not get out of control in your reef.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what reefing is all about, and good for you! Everyone has a different reason and method of reefing, glad you found something to enjoy!

OP
OP

1armfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my bristle worms - they don’t harm anyone and add another layer of biodiversity to the tank.
My pistol shrimp loves them too (at least how they taste).
I didn’t know pistols ate them! I have a small pistol, not sure if he's big enough to eat them but its good to know I already have the check to balance.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I started to feel pity.

Grateful to read about your experience!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time I hate them is when I accidentally touch them and get a finger full of bristles. OUCH! They are minimal to fire worms, so not too bad.
I have some that are larger than my fish in my 6g. I have to get them out and rehome them to my sump.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I started to feel pity.

Great write-up!! I feel like if I was in the same scenario as you I would get so guilty trying to kill the bristle worm that I would just put him back in my tank if he wasn't bothering anything either

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know pistols ate them! I have a small pistol, not sure if he's big enough to eat them but its good to know I already have the check to balance.
I never knew either until one day I saw him snacking on one in his cave. The population seemed to go down from there. It’s rebounded recently.
My pistol is a tiger - not sure if that makes a difference.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular bristleworms are fantastic CUC. I somehow ended up with fireworms in my tank though... ate a colony of mushrooms and almost killed my BTA. It was around 10-12" long and as big around as my finger when I finally caught it. Now I'm worm- hunting every night with a trap to catch the smaller ones. I have one "regular" bristleworm in my tank I've seen - he can stay. The other suckers gotta go! (I still feel bad though as they're living creatures). :(

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular bristleworms are fantastic CUC. I somehow ended up with fireworms in my tank though... ate a colony of mushrooms and almost killed my BTA. It was around 10-12" long and as big around as my finger when I finally caught it. Now I'm worm- hunting every night with a trap to catch the smaller ones. I have one "regular" bristleworm in my tank I've seen - he can stay. The other suckers gotta go! (I still feel bad though as they're living creatures). :(
I never feel sorry for fire worms after I got hit by one. They are like wasps to me and I hate them.
Granted I do hate killing anything alive, but knowing the pain, I get over it fast.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never feel sorry for fire worms after I got hit by one. They are like wasps to me and I hate them.
Granted I do hate killing anything alive, but knowing the pain, I get over it fast.
Oh wow, I'm so glad the big one I had never got me! He was way too big for a trap so I had to grab him with my long rubber-tipped tweezers (with gloves on) and pull the rock he was under. The dang bristles were long and they stuck in the rubber like porcupine spines!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new here and setting up my first tank, are bristle worms sumthin I want or sumthin I don’t want
Everyone has their own opinion on whether they like them in their tanks or not, but technically the regular ones are a good part of your clean up crew. Unless you end up with a fireworm... those are not only coral munchers but they pack a mean punch if you accidentally touch them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back