I found a weird worm with spike feet and umbrella mouth.

OP
OP
M

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tempting but I think my coral would take exception. :p

I don't think it's a peanut worm. From what I'm seeing they don't have the spike feet like this one does?

OP
OP
M

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I cant be sure he isn't dangerous I suppose I'll have to dispose of him. Unless anyone here wants a mysterious worm?

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what it is at this moment but I would do some research when I get home. I would not mind taking him for my refugium assuming you don't mind sending him ground. I do not want to pay exorbitant shipping for a little worm. Either way I'll get back to you with what I think it might be.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the pics the worm appears to have hair or tentacles. Is that algae or something? It appears gone in the second vid. Also the vid makes me feel like it could be an epitoke of a worm. The flair looks to me like a swimming apparatus. Could be way off though. The mouth appears sucker like. Is that acurate? The tail (i assume) looks almost club like. And the edges of the flaired area are just creepy. Lol cool stuff

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the pics the worm appears to have hair or tentacles. Is that algae or something? It appears gone in the second vid. Also the vid makes me feel like it could be an epitoke of a worm. The flair looks to me like a swimming apparatus. Could be way off though. The mouth appears sucker like. Is that acurate? The tail (i assume) looks almost club like. And the edges of the flaired area are just creepy. Lol cool stuff

Nice. Learned a new word. Epitoke.
Looked it up and found this cool diagram.

D1342445-88CA-48A5-B849-B83A1654D08D.jpeg

The protrusions in the middle of the worm in the video (worm part 2) sure look like #2 in the image above.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have learned a new word LOL! That was indeed algae in the first video. There's still a few food pellets stuck to him in the second video which might be throwing you off a bit. As far as I can tell the back half doesn't have any long branching structures. More than anything it reminds me of a caterpillar with 2 rows of 'feet'. It seems now to have formed some kind of band around it's biddle, to which the food pellets have stuck. I have a new video which I will upload and post momentarily. I think you can see the feet a lot better in this one as the jar thing it's in is acting as a magnifier.

Also got a video of some flatworms and other worms and copepods crawling around my frag holder that will be posted elsewhere. They don't seem to be relations of this guy but came out nice so might be interesting anyway.

OP
OP
M

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the mouth sucker like?

I'm not sure. Not really I guess? When it extrudes what I assume to be the mouth, it looks like an umbrella with no spines. Reminds me more of the webbing between the legs of an octopus, like a thin membrane. You can see it happening in the photos I took if you look at the head end closely. Sort of reminds me of a snail mouth in a way.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure it came out as good as i thought. The focus seems to be off. I'll try and reshoot if it won't come it but right now I can't get it to play to check.

Its good that i find it interresting. Makes it worth the nightmares. ;)

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spines dont look like legs to me. Looks more like a grub of sorts. Thats why i think it may be an epitoke. The way it flairs could be to catch current. As well as the "umbrella or webbing" although the protrusions were quick. Hmmmm

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I watch the video it reminds me of a leach. Defanitly a swimmer if movement is reliable. The way it wiggles in the first vid. And cant find purchase in the containor or cup. Wonder if its a parasite

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back