I get to start again, so at least I have that going for me

Abusfullofnuns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I got too comfortable and paid the ultimate price. Complete loss. Mixed reef with very mature corals and fish.

125g running with full apex control. Somehow I missed an update for the apex and was offline. Not sure how it slipped past me, but it did.

I travel a good bit and haven't had any problems that I couldn't take care of through the controller. For some reason on this trip, I decided to take one heater and one power head off the apex and into a medical grade battery back up. In addition I moved the heater to the display tank as a just in case.

Not sure how it happened, but the heater cracked and tripped the breaker. Didn't get an email because I was offline. I was gone 12 days and by the time I got back most everything was slime or white with algae. :eek: Not sure if electricity got any to start the spike, but it was nasty.

I was done. The wife and kids have convinced me to start over. The funny thing is that they complained anytime it was husbandry time. Not because they had to do anything, but because I wasn't doing what they wanted.

I have all the rock in a bleach solution soaking and will power wash in a couple of days. Then I guess a few weeks of curing.

I am going to take this time and do things right this time. I'll use this thread to post progress and pose questions.

First few things on the list:

1. Drill tank for overflow. I'm done with the HOB. I'm open to suggestions on which to go with. I've been looking at the synergy 20".

2. Make a rack for the rock. I had everything precariously stacked before and I'm looking for more stability. I thinking pvc and light diffuser.

3. I need to do a bit more cleaning to the tank, as I have removed all the sand. I'm pretty sure I want to go bare bottom this time. I think I want a Zoanthid carpet.

4. BOne of my power heads has failed and need to get a replacement. It's a Jebao rw15 that is less than 10 months old. Not sure whether to replace and stick with Jebao or go with something else. I have them ghetto connected to the apex. I pulled it apart and cleaned it, but it sparks as it's plugged back in.

5. I will probably update my return pump as well. The skimmer is an old reef octopus. Like really old, but it's way oversized. Not sure if tech has changed so much that this is a dinosaur.

6. I am also going to build or buy a sump. The one I have is very basic with three sections of a 55g glass tank. There is no housings for filter socks or various other options. I may be too cheap for buying anything fancy. Any eBay options worth a darn?

7. I'm going to get better with the auto top off. Currently was just a tunze and a 5 gallon container or big tub while traveling. Too much refilling. I'm ready to have all aspects of water controlled. Changes, production, and top off. This will be last as it's a creature comfort and will likely move in the next six months.

8. I haven't even started to think about livestock, as I'm still a little heart broken. I pretty much had some of everything. Nothing too rare or exotic but some massive specimens. 50+ head frogspawn. 25+ head Duncan. Sticks, mushrooms, chalice, monti, plates etc. You get the picture. All of the usual suspects as far as fish and inverts.

To recap:
Lost it all.
Starting over
Fixing problems...starting with overflow and a rock rack.

I look forward to getting involved with the local club. I need moral support.
Speaking of morals. Here the one for this story: No matter how stable, don't get complacent. I probably should have checked the apex status before leaving town for two weeks. :mad:

Gold star if you read it all.

OP
OP
Abusfullofnuns

Abusfullofnuns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the additional encouragement from a helpful member here, I went ahead and pre-ordered the Synergy Reef Shadow overflow. I will likely have to wait to set up the tank again, but may start the cycle with a traditional HOB.

Time to wait, wait, and wait some more. I guess the rock rack and the sump redesign will jump to the front.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you getting back in. I am sorry you lost everything. I lost all my fish to velvet I think. I moved some of the coral to a frag tank over a year ago and have not been the best at husbandry, but I plan to do better after reading your post. It is a real bummer to put so much time into making a home for everything and watch it go so quickly. Thank you for getting me motivated also. I too am building a new tank. I am doing auto water change, and plumbed a 1/2" line to the ato. I started this tank a while ago, but it is just sitting here collecting dust. LOL

OP
OP
Abusfullofnuns

Abusfullofnuns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the encouragement. It was a pretty bad thing to come home and see/smell. I had traveled on an overnight flight from Vancouver to Toronto>Atlanta. After the four hour drive home, I got greeted with death and destruction. At least the water wasn't on the floor.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your head up.

Good call on the Synergy overflow, with the pre sale cost its hard to beat.

There is someone here on r2r who makes DIY sump kits that you retro into standard sized aquariums, I think its @TaylorPilot but I could be wrong.

I'm not a big fan of Jebao products so I'd suggest moving on from them, some people have had good luck with them but long term reliability is questionable. Can't go wrong with Tunze or EcoTech. I had a Gyre for a while and I liked it, I bet the newer ones are even better.

Return pump wise there are some good options out there, personally I use an Ehiem reliable and quiet.

Yeah, the wife and kids are funny that way. I've considered moving on from the hobby multiple times but my better half knows I need the release. You'll feel it again once you get up and running again.

OP
OP
Abusfullofnuns

Abusfullofnuns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips on the sump and pumps.

I had a productive evening today. I pulled the skins off of my stand and removed the sump. The 55g sump was a very heavy old tank. It has a glass brace up top and has always been a pain. The doors on the stand are on quick release hinges, and the sump was always a 1/4" too big width wise. It made getting the doors off a pain. I have a 55g Marineland that's almost an inch slimmer. It should give me the clearance that I've always needed. I can cut glass, so no reason not to build my own. I've been looking at designs for sumps, and have some good ideas. I still need to sketch it out. I hope to build the sump this weekend if I can find 1/4" glass.

The rock is finished with its bleach and acid baths. I did the 2 hour acid bath this evening as well. I've got two 30g trash cans of rock soaking in water and waiting for a power wash this weekend. I need to mix up some salt water to get the rock curing when done with the wash. I'll monitor for a while and decide whether to use LaCl3 to cheat a bit. I've been sketching designs for the aqua scape and will start building the backbones soon.

I'm aiming to do some stand maintenance as well. One hinge is a bit loose, and I want to mount a better light. I inherited a closet full of ocean revive 55w lights and figure a sump would be a good use for one.

Speaking of lights, I only have 3 AI Sols and wouldn't mind finding good another for a cheap fourth.

OP
OP
Abusfullofnuns

Abusfullofnuns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock is power washed and ready for a final cure. I am going to go ahead and start on my rock structure design tonight.

I have the new sump designed and am ready to get some glass for it. Where is everyone getting their 1/4" glass from in Nashville?

I also have planned the returns and drains and should make for a much cleaner system. I am ready to start buying my unions and ball valves.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back