I got flatworms...but are there two kinds?!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor.gif

So I was inspecting my tank this evening when what to my wondering eyes did appear, dozens of flatworms which to my eyes brought a tear! To quote Michael Scott...

tenor.gif

So after my initial freakout, I tried to remain calm and take some good pictures so I can figure out exactly what I'm dealing with. I suspect I may have two different types: Acoel Flatworms and Red Planaria Flatworms. Please take a look at the pictures below and let me know what you think I have and what's the best way to deal with them.

Red Planaria Flatworm on the rock?
0601201922a.jpg

Acoel Flatworms on the glass?
0601201933b.jpg

If you need better pictures, I can try to get more but it's tough to get these little guys into focus.

As far as treatment/eradication, I was thinking about picking up a yellow wrasse before I noticed these guys, so now I'm even more motivated to pick one up. I know flatworm exit is an option as well, but will it have any adverse affects on any of my more sensitive tank inhabitants like my feather duster, coco worm or flame scallop? Any advise is much appreciated.

Last edited:

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not able to help with treatment or ID but your post made me laugh out loud. It seems like there’s a lot of flatworm posts lately, wonder if it’s their breeding season or something.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think both your pictures are acoel flatworms. I have them right now in my coral qt tank and am looking for some flatworm exit to test on them. The coral qt is loaded with pods right now so should be a great test, unfortunately I can’t find any product locally (darned covid) so will be ordering online and waiting a week.

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not able to help with treatment or ID but your post made me laugh out loud. It seems like there’s a lot of flatworm posts lately, wonder if it’s their breeding season or something.

Haha! Thanks, I'm glad I could make you chuckle. I'm trying to remain calm and keep a good attitude about it. No sense in crying over spilled milk right? ;)

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think both your pictures are acoel flatworms. I have them right now in my coral qt tank and am looking for some flatworm exit to test on them. The coral qt is loaded with pods right now so should be a great test, unfortunately I can’t find any product locally (darned covid) so will be ordering online and waiting a week.

Whew! I hope that's the case as I've read that acoel flatworms are a little more benign than red planarias.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at the tail, not the colour. The little ones in my qt are transparent with a little dot but the bigger ones are a lot more brown. I think they get more photosynthetic pigment the older they get. This is based on my observation, not literature. I’ve been watching them awhile to see if they cause any harm to the coral in the tank but will nuke them before I transfer the coral to the DT.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back