I got this fish from live aquaria today

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sailfin tang arrived from live aquaria today and is now in my qt. It is swimming around and from a far looks great... but his upper lip seems to be corroded and he seems to have a legit hole in its head and the beginning of HLLE.
Is that what this looks like?

What should I do!?
I’ve never owned a tang before

E02F09A7-2D5C-472B-8F01-5B75A1F1FCA8.png 59845573-7D01-4F74-8FFB-007EAC4F96CE.png

Attachments

• IMG_5803.MOV
    49.8 MB

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For HLLE the best thing to do is feed him as much nutritious food as possible. For the lip, it may be due to rubbing in the bag.
Provided its eating theres a fairly good chance it will recover, maybe the lip not fully but somewhat it should.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1586285212860.png

This was not inspected Prior to ship. Contact Live Aquaria before comments. The WI plant does care and will make it right. In the mean time- Diet is key . . . . .
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Mysis shrimp
plankton
LRS herbivore diet
spirulina brine shrimp
Nori seaweed basted with garlic

Add garlic and selcon vitamins to food.

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For HLLE the best thing to do is feed him as much nutritious food as possible. For the lip, it may be due to rubbing in the bag.
Provided its eating theres a fairly good chance it will recover, maybe the lip not fully but somewhat it should.
I tried feeding him nori but he didn’t really eat it. I fed him pellets and he seemed to like them but I am worried he won’t get all the algae and veggies he needs because he can’t graze with its upper lip like tangs usually do.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both could have happened during shipment. The larger fish will get stressed out and rub. Contact LA for sure to let them know the condition with pictures. Then I would treat with an antibiotic (this helps keep other infections at bay and allows fish time to recover). Make sure it is getting a good variety of foods. Good luck!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Mastik? I hear good things about it. Then tie some algae onto rocks and put around the qt (or some pvc, if no small rocks).
I had a wrasse for over 5 years with a deformed mouth. Lived a long healthy life even though it could not hunt like normal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I tried feeding him nori but he didn’t really eat it. I fed him pellets and he seemed to like them but I am worried he won’t get all the algae and veggies he needs because he can’t graze with its upper lip like tangs usually do.
Likely wont eat til tomorrow. I never expect a fish to eat right after shipment. Lower lights also for today to keep stress levels down

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both could have happened during shipment. The larger fish will get stressed out and rub. Contact LA for sure to let them know the condition with pictures. Then I would treat with an antibiotic (this helps keep other infections at bay and allows fish time to recover). Make sure it is getting a good variety of foods. Good luck!
I have antibiotics on the way from amazon but won’t get here for 2 days. Can I use melafix for right now or should I wait?

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted @LiveAquaria at around 12:30 EST and they have not responded. I called and they said someone will contact me within the next couple hours to help sort things out. I guess I will just have to wait and keep observing.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fed my tangs red ogo in quarantine. That might help this one to eat...

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the email contact form with them. It allows you to upload pictures. I think it is found on the paper they send about if an animals arrives or dies, somewhere there is a web address. Could not find it from website alone.

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it and have no idea if it works or not. I am weary of things I do not know. Maybe someone else will chime in. I would watch and see. Make sure eating and wait on antibiotics.
Ok I will. Regarding the hole, do you think its a parasite? I have no idea what would make such a clean hole.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea on that one. I do not see a current parasite on the outside. I am hoping the antibiotics will help clear that up (or at least allow it to heal). Keep eye on it. If it becomes red or larger, probably need to do more.

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done the email contact form with them. It allows you to upload pictures. I think it is found on the paper they send about if an animals arrives or dies, somewhere there is a web address. Could not find it from website alone.
I sent the picture and videos that I put on the original post to them. The representative I spoke with said that someone has been assigned to review them.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melafix can work for mild bacterial infections. Not a bad product for treating scrapes and scratches likely incurred during shipping.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back