I guess I need to post my build here, first tank and all

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted in the beginner's thread but it was suggested that I post here as well.
Always wanted a saltwater setup and the gf decided if we found a great deal we should do that for our anniversary instead of gifts or a weekend trip. No arguments from me.

Found a guy on craigslist going through a nasty divorce. 75 gallon tank, stand, huge canister filter, glass canopies, LED lighting (basic white with blue accents/moon lighting, nothing fancy), etc for $450. Needless to say we jumped on it. Even included a full test kit, salinity refractometer, food, the live sand, live rock (although it does not look at all like the "real reef" rock we've added since), 2 black/white clowns, 2 blue damsels, some hermit crabs, starfish and a sail fin tang (my favorite although I'm aware I'll probably have to get rid of him or upgrade tanks down the road).

We have added a fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, like 4 emerald crabs, a few more hermits and snails and one diamond goby to shift sand.

I realize we may have over done the additions for a "new" tank. But we did have some already established rock and sand and we filled the tank with water from a LFS here that sells ready to go saltwater. So we chanced it for our first batch. This is the description of how they make up the water if that matters.
Pre softening, pre carbon filtration, deionization and then a 600 gallon saltwater mixing/holding tank.

So assuming we didn't over did and are going to kill everything, I know we should wait awhile to add any more fish. We should be ok adding more clean up crew though right? We have I think 15 of the small hermit crabs, 5 Nassarius snails (sp), 4 emerald crabs, the 4 shrimp and the goby.

Also the guy I got it from thought he was giving me a protein skimmer too but apparently it was just a part of one lol. I'm assuming I need to invest in one of those?

And the goby is our second one actually. The tiger goby committed suicide the first night. There is a square cut out in the back corner of one of the canopies for the automatic feeder. The pump for the protein skimmer he thought he was giving us fits almost perfectly so we plugged that whole. The diamond goby got out last night, thankfully i wasn't sleeping very well and I heard it and got him back in the tank. No freaking idea how he got out, he was on the carpet in front of the tank.

I've seen online too the "florida live rock" that will have all the little feather dusters, etc in it. Is that something we want to add? The rock that came with the tank and the "real reef" rock we've added doesn't have anything I can see on it other than maybe some algae cover.

Sorry for the massive first post and tons of questions.

First pic, sorry not much going on but it shows what we started with.
aquarium1.jpeg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get more rock, it will help with biological filtration in the tank. I would also consider a screen top for the tank, with a canister filter you're going to have very little gas exchange in addition to the glass top. A protein skimmer will help with gas exchange and also help with nutrient export, which is going to be very important with algae control :)

You are right in that you probably jumped the gun a little too quick and added a lot of stuff all at once. Keep an eye on your parameters, if you don't have a test kit you will need to get one.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely get more rock, it will help with biological filtration in the tank. I would also consider a screen top for the tank, with a canister filter you're going to have very little gas exchange in addition to the glass top. A protein skimmer will help with gas exchange and also help with nutrient export, which is going to be very important with algae control :)

You are right in that you probably jumped the gun a little too quick and added a lot of stuff all at once. Keep an eye on your parameters, if you don't have a test kit you will need to get one.

We have about 10 lbs more added of the real reef stuff, just didn't have a picture of it since then. The set up did include a full test kit, will be trying it today after work. Looking to add about 10 more lbs of actual live rock soon as I find a good place online. I was looking at tampa bay saltwater but they want to charge $100 shipping for a 10 lb shipment ($58 worth of live rock).

I was thinking about a screen top last night after the goby tried suicide. How do you keep the holes that you have to cut for your filter hoses and stuff from getting bigger? Our new lighting set up should be here in a day so that will help determine if I can go screen or not too. I can't remember if the light we ordered is protected from potential spray or not.

I definitely want to get a protein skimmer, just need to keep costs down till after we move in June. And I don't want to buy a crappy one now and then just have to buy a better one in a couple months. Thanks for all the information too!

mogul1906

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have about 10 lbs more added of the real reef stuff, just didn't have a picture of it since then. The set up did include a full test kit, will be trying it today after work. Looking to add about 10 more lbs of actual live rock soon as I find a good place online. I was looking at tampa bay saltwater but they want to charge $100 shipping for a 10 lb shipment ($58 worth of live rock).

I was thinking about a screen top last night after the goby tried suicide. How do you keep the holes that you have to cut for your filter hoses and stuff from getting bigger? Our new lighting set up should be here in a day so that will help determine if I can go screen or not too. I can't remember if the light we ordered is protected from potential spray or not.

I definitely want to get a protein skimmer, just need to keep costs down till after we move in June. And I don't want to buy a crappy one now and then just have to buy a better one in a couple months. Thanks for all the information too!
Tampa saltwater's live rock is worth every penny. But if you are trying to save then I get it. I purchased 40lbs for my 55 gallon column

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tampa saltwater's live rock is worth every penny. But if you are trying to save then I get it. I purchased 40lbs for my 55 gallon column

It definitely seems pretty nice but dang, "hey guys everyone else ships it much cheaper why are you charging me for 100 lbs when I order 10-15?" And I work in logistics, I know you can ship less than that air freight. Or FedEx or UPS lol. Maybe that's why it rubbed me the wrong way, I spend all day going through shipping costs lol.

bronsond99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good rule of thumb I️ have learned (I’m fairly new as well. I️ get advice and learn from my mentors who have been in hobby for 25+ years) is to have 1lb-2lb or so of live rock per gallon of water. This helps with the filtration and the health of your system overall!!

mogul1906

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely seems pretty nice but dang, "hey guys everyone else ships it much cheaper why are you charging me for 100 lbs when I order 10-15?" And I work in logistics, I know you can ship less than that air freight. Or FedEx or UPS lol. Maybe that's why it rubbed me the wrong way, I spend all day going through shipping costs lol.
Yeah the price is very good but that Shipping was crazy lol

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shipping.....real live rock has to be shipped underwater.....and same/next day. Sure you can get rock shipped cheaper...but at what cost to the life on the rock. I have always shipped rock the correct way, underwater. Any other method is shooting yourself in the foot if you want real live rock that can be added to your tank when opening the box....with no issues.

Rock sent dry or wrapped in wet paper simply does not keep it as it should be ....alive with no issues which is why you read about having to 'cure' live rock and the die off experienced, because you can't take something out of the ocean, wrap it in wet towels, ship it and expect a quality product. I have always provided the best live rock in the industry, and that is because it is delivered to you correctly, fast, and underwater as if it was still in the ocean.

Fedex is not an option, as it is not only more expensive for overnight service, they beat it to death and is subjected to wild temperature swings. 10 pounds of rock shipped priority overnight would cost about $140.00..using fedex......but using air freight and shipping same/next day....would cost about $90....and you could ship up to 50 pounds of rock for the same $90. There is a right way to ship real live rock...and a plethora of wrong ways to do it also...I have always opted for shipping real live rock the correct way. If you want the real thing with no issues...there is no other way......been shipping it that way for over 40 years....

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping.....real live rock has to be shipped underwater.....and same/next day. Sure you can get rock shipped cheaper...but at what cost to the life on the rock. I have always shipped rock the correct way, underwater. Any other method is shooting yourself in the foot if you want real live rock that can be added to your tank when opening the box....with no issues.

Rock sent dry or wrapped in wet paper simply does not keep it as it should be ....alive with no issues which is why you read about having to 'cure' live rock and the die off experienced, because you can't take something out of the ocean, wrap it in wet towels, ship it and expect a quality product. I have always provided the best live rock in the industry, and that is because it is delivered to you correctly, fast, and underwater as if it was still in the ocean.

Fedex is not an option, as it is not only more expensive for overnight service, they beat it to death and is subjected to wild temperature swings. 10 pounds of rock shipped priority overnight would cost about $140.00..using fedex......but using air freight and shipping same/next day....would cost about $90....and you could ship up to 50 pounds of rock for the same $90. There is a right way to ship real live rock...and a plethora of wrong ways to do it also...I have always opted for shipping real live rock the correct way. If you want the real thing with no issues...there is no other way......been shipping it that way for over 40 years....

I didn't say anything about it being shipped a wrong way or right way. I was only stating it rubbed me the wrong way that they want to charge for shipping 100 pounds as the minimum when I know you can ship less weight than that, we do it all day every day. I would not mind paying for air freight at all if I was charged for the weight I was ordering and not a 100 pound minimum. Personally I'll never pay a 100 pound shipping charge for a 10 pound shipment.

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say anything about it being shipped a wrong way or right way. I was only stating it rubbed me the wrong way that they want to charge for shipping 100 pounds as the minimum when I know you can ship less weight than that, we do it all day every day. I would not mind paying for air freight at all if I was charged for the weight I was ordering and not a 100 pound minimum. Personally I'll never pay a 100 pound shipping charge for a 10 pound shipment.

I understand...but is the airlines...not me...they charge a 100# minimum charge one pound or 100 #....trust me if there was any other way to ship real live rock I would do it!

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

maybe this will help understand how shipping real live rock works...
Shipping live rock...how it is done
No fed ex or UPS for live rock, however dry rock can be shipped to your door fed ex....

This is real live rock that is shipped underwater and cannot be sent via fed ex or ups...you read all the time how some folks get their live rock delivered via ground service wrapped in wet newspapers and experience dead loss and stressed out live rock..death....and curing....and other issues....so that defeats the whole purpose of growing and shipping the highest quality live rock on the planet! That is not what this rock is about. This is real live rock that comes to you alive and happily shipped underwater and is added directly to your tank with no issues, every time, no curing no fuss no muss.

Most folks I ship The Package to
http://tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/index.html

never even get an ammonia spike and have a cycled happy reef tank in a week.
http://tbsaltwater.com/testimonials/index.html

I ship via the airlines to your airport. This insures a fast and timely shipment, usually same day to your airport. I pack it in the morning and you pick it up after work. You can safely add this rock to an existing cycled tank with no issues.

Pick up is easy, I supply the shipping info...and you just back up to the air cargo building load your boxes and off you go. It is not where you go as a passenger, the freight facility is in a different location, usually. Is quick, painless and insures you have the best quality live rock on the planet!

And....for weight estimate, for live rock only you can double the amount of rock ordered for an estimate on total weight with water on it. IE fifty pounds of rock will weigh about ninety pounds with the water on it and be shipped in two boxes 17.17.10 inches. All the airlines are at about $90 per 100 pounds shipping charge. I pack 20-25 pounds per box of rock. So 50 pounds of live rock shipped to your airport would be about $90 in freight charges....or a little less. Anything over 100 pounds is an additional .90 a pound.

If ordering a Package, triple the size of the Package for weight estimate on part one, and a little less on part two as you won't have the live sand weight. IE a 30 gallon Package will weigh about ninety pounds part one...and little less on part two.

OP
OP
jaxteller007

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe this will help understand how shipping real live rock works...
Shipping live rock...how it is done
No fed ex or UPS for live rock, however dry rock can be shipped to your door fed ex....

This is real live rock that is shipped underwater and cannot be sent via fed ex or ups...you read all the time how some folks get their live rock delivered via ground service wrapped in wet newspapers and experience dead loss and stressed out live rock..death....and curing....and other issues....so that defeats the whole purpose of growing and shipping the highest quality live rock on the planet! That is not what this rock is about. This is real live rock that comes to you alive and happily shipped underwater and is added directly to your tank with no issues, every time, no curing no fuss no muss.

Most folks I ship The Package to
http://tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/index.html

never even get an ammonia spike and have a cycled happy reef tank in a week.
http://tbsaltwater.com/testimonials/index.html

I ship via the airlines to your airport. This insures a fast and timely shipment, usually same day to your airport. I pack it in the morning and you pick it up after work. You can safely add this rock to an existing cycled tank with no issues.

Pick up is easy, I supply the shipping info...and you just back up to the air cargo building load your boxes and off you go. It is not where you go as a passenger, the freight facility is in a different location, usually. Is quick, painless and insures you have the best quality live rock on the planet!

And....for weight estimate, for live rock only you can double the amount of rock ordered for an estimate on total weight with water on it. IE fifty pounds of rock will weigh about ninety pounds with the water on it and be shipped in two boxes 17.17.10 inches. All the airlines are at about $90 per 100 pounds shipping charge. I pack 20-25 pounds per box of rock. So 50 pounds of live rock shipped to your airport would be about $90 in freight charges....or a little less. Anything over 100 pounds is an additional .90 a pound.

If ordering a Package, triple the size of the Package for weight estimate on part one, and a little less on part two as you won't have the live sand weight. IE a 30 gallon Package will weigh about ninety pounds part one...and little less on part two.

I've just never dealt with a company telling me I had to ship a minimum of 100 pounds air freight in all my years of working in logistics/transportation. Just wasn't worth it when I was only looking at 10-15 pounds of live rock. When I can eventually move into a bigger setup and want 50 pounds or more, I definitely like your rock. It looks really, really good.

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL....ok....one more time...is not me telling you...is the airline policy .......they charge a minimum 100# fee when shipping air freight...if it was me I would be happy to send you any amount....but they have their rules on shipping and minimum shipping charges they have. ALL the airlines have the same 100# minimum charge.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back