I guess my new hobby is pipetting out aiptasia xD

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lazy ol' me did not quarantine live stock so now I have to deal with an aiptasia problem. Not too big of an issue, except when they embed themselves among corals.

Been pipetting them out while I find a permanent solution. XD I was gonna cover them with something, but when they are within my glove polyps it is just way too hard to not accidentally hurt the coral too.

20210406_132640.jpg

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting solution...have you used it before? I prefer the brûlée torch but that doesn’t work in 50% of cases
I tried both, only the filefish worked, now I got one every two years to clean up my tank. After the job is done I return the to my LFS for credit or a cheap frag.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a filefish or a peppermint shrimp?
I am considering either a pepermint shrimp or berghia. I think a filefish would be too much for my aquarium.

I am leaning berghia because the aiptasia is in the back chamber of my Nuvo20 too.

Buttttt maybe that's better. I could have a peppermint shrimp and if I let the aiptasia go crazy in the back chamber, there'd be plenty of baby aiptasia popping up in the display for the peppermint shrimp to dine on long term... hm... :D

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coolio.

Well I suppose a filefish could work if I keep on returning it a LFS, but that's not really possible. So second question is where is a good place to buy a peppermint that is not LiveAquaria. Suggestions?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier just to hit them with Aptasia-x.
Irratate polyps carefully around the Aptasia, then slowly build a bubble in the middle and hold till it collapses.
Wait 20 minutes before restarting any flow.

This + plugging got all of mine, but took several months of attack.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easier just to hit them with Aptasia-x.
Irratate polyps carefully around the Aptasia, then slowly build a bubble in the middle and hold till it collapses.
Wait 20 minutes before restarting any flow.
My main gripe with using chemicals, apart from whether they work or not, is that it won't be more than a temporary solution for me. Unless I decide to tear apart my filtration system that is, because the aiptasia definitely got in there. D:

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the peppermint route, definitely make sure to buy from a vendor that carries peps that ACTUALLY eat aiptasia.

There's about a dozen or so different species of peppermint shrimp, and not all of them will eat aiptasia. I've had more than a few peppermints in my 12 years of reefkeeping, and I've never had a peppermint even think about eating an aiptasia.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go the peppermint route, definitely make sure to buy from a vendor that carries peps that ACTUALLY eat aiptasia.

There's about a dozen or so different species of peppermint shrimp, and not all of them will eat aiptasia. I've had more than a few peppermints in my 12 years of reefkeeping, and I've never had a peppermint even think about eating an aiptasia.
Oh yeah, so on this note some people reported their peppermint actual ate their corals. Not sure how anecdotal or true those claims are, but either way. Any species in particular do you recommend would or would not work? Any way to differentiate them? Or, given none of yours worked, what species were they? I guess I coulr at least rule them out. XD

Back