I harvested some fish roe yesterday morn.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I got some real nice fresh roe from 2 ,spotted sea trout I caught yesterday morning. This stuff is nice & fresh ! The roe is contained in a thin membrane of sorts 7 very small so I use a small pair of sharp scissors and carefully cut it open & lay it flat. I then take a paring knife & scrape it off dumping it in a small container with water from the tank I'm feeding. just now after lights out dumped some in the 75 coral tank. I did unplug the return pump and let the power heads blow it around the tank. For the fish I just cut small sections off & feed them. Talk about a treat !
So I'm not sure how it would stand up to freezing. Think I could brine it 1st? Not sure as I don't want the fishes & corals to consume real salty foods. Also when broad cast feeding corals( unpluging the return & letting the currents to carry the roe to them ) how much to add & how long to leave thereturn unplugged ? My guess is HPIM8705.JPG it would be trial & error. Any Op's would be appreciated Thanks !

ps I prepared some rice piloff & steamed some veggies. Then I cooked the trout in a hot pan with olive oil & some Tony's cajun seasoning.. I liked it ! LOL

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I got some real nice fresh roe from 2 ,spotted sea trout I caught yesterday morning. This stuff is nice & fresh ! The roe is contained in a thin membrane of sorts 7 very small so I use a small pair of sharp scissors and carefully cut it open & lay it flat. I then take a paring knife & scrape it off dumping it in a small container with water from the tank I'm feeding. just now after lights out dumped some in the 75 coral tank. I did unplug the return pump and let the power heads blow it around the tank. For the fish I just cut small sections off & feed them. Talk about a treat !
So I'm not sure how it would stand up to freezing. Think I could brine it 1st? Not sure as I don't want the fishes & corals to consume real salty foods. Also when broad cast feeding corals( unpluging the return & letting the currents to carry the roe to them ) how much to add & how long to leave thereturn unplugged ? My guess is HPIM8705.JPG it would be trial & error. Any Op's would be appreciated Thanks !

ps I prepared some rice piloff & steamed some veggies. Then I cooked the trout in a hot pan with olive oil & some Tony's cajun seasoning.. I liked it ! LOL

What about freezing them in water from your tank? Then you could just drop in frozen cubes and let it thaw in rank.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply's ! I froze the roe It looks ok. I snipped small pieces with some scissors and added some to my fish mix today.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back