I hate ATOs, please tell me which ones you like and why -

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about doing that, but like to keep it simple with just 2 floats. Makes for a single 5v plug, the 2 floats and the pump. Project box is only used if I have to go higher than 3', as a larger pump is needed and I have to go to 110-120v then.

On my 180, it is plugged into my Apex, so when doing AWC, it doesn't top off lol. I guess I could set it up on a timer based on wattage or something, but then that is no longer a simple setup lol.
The micro controller just added a few extra things on mine like when mine kicks on it just runs for a set amount of time instead of looking for a change in a switch, if I ever reach my high float switches (I actually have 3 floats for a redundant high limit) it locks the ATO out until I reset it and I have a timer built in to where if it runs for a specific amount of time it turns off.

If I would’ve had an apex at the time I probably wouldn’t have bothered with the micro controller part honestly.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the OP. Have had several commercial ATO's, had failures with all of them... So, I built my own.

RODI line coming into my sump room passes through an electric ball valve. Closes on power loss.
From there, splits to three use areas: Sump ATO, Kalk Reservoir Autofill, Mixing station Autofill.
At each of these use areas, there's a simple mechanical float valve.
Normally, that's it. Water comes in as needed, float valve shuts it off when it's full.
Just above the float valve, in all three use areas, is a float switch. High and dry. If that switch is tripped, it
closes the electric ball valve, shutting down water coming into the system. It also alarms me, via the Apex, by email, and audible alarm.

Oh, throw in a cheap battery powered water alarm under the sump, just for an extra layer of security...

Simple, clean, reasonably inexpensive, and dead reliable. Been in place for what, 4 years now? Flawless.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was always a fan of Tunze top off , but when I was trying to find one last year everyone was out,
I went with Avast pressure sensor and couldn’t be happier, it cost less and in my opinion better and safer. Then on top of that even cheaper.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is a link

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The regular tunze is the best imo. Its pricey but mine has been nothing but reliable and with 3 safety features its the least likely to overfill the tank.
Idk, my tunze has had its little plastic case (that goes over the tubing to the pump) crack already. Which can cause the pump to run but not pull any water. I’ve seen this be a common error. Silly how something so trivial can cause the pump to sometimes not work.

ericd545

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravity seems to be the simplest option. Last time I checked it still works. Back it up with a float valve if you don't trust it.
+1. I am in the Gravity ATO cult. Idk how big your tank is, but you get some sort of food grade container with straight sides, drill your hole into it, run your airline tubing to a float valve on the rim of your tank. There’s a couple pieces that you need on it such as a switch (Control water flow on or off, remember to close switch when doing water changes!) and the fitting that goes in the reservoir hole you drilled, plus silicone to make sure there’s no leaks. With a gravity ato nothing can ever go wrong because there’s no sensors or anything. Think like the Amish. Only things to consider is that if you don’t have this all contained in your sump (I don’t have sumps on any of my tanks) it will have to go on the wall above the top level of your tank. Also over a long period of time, gunk can possibly build up in the float valve so you’ll have to clean that. Basically, if you don’t have any leaks in your setup, you’ll be stress-free.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works because of physics, science is an investigation technique.
no, it works because of science. Issac newton used science to invent gravity and physics, without him it would be very hard to keep the water in our tanks!

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R.7f568d838e8b67947e997f5002599d81

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk, my tunze has had its little plastic case (that goes over the tubing to the pump) crack already. Which can cause the pump to run but not pull any water. I’ve seen this be a common error. Silly how something so trivial can cause the pump to sometimes not work.
Although it happened to mine too after a few years its easy enough to fix. Id rather it not be able to pump water than to overfill though.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have a apex, create your own ato if your worried about reliability from a 3rd party's ato.

I just run a dual float switch with a timer as a backup if the float switch ever sticks. Aqualifter pump for the ato going to a outlet on the eb8.

I tried a few different optical sensor setups, they are all crap, and fail eventually imho.

Screenshot_20220526-065714.png

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only used Litermeters for top up since the Nineties. Just dial in your evaporation. It will never back siphon. There's no floats or sensors to fail. It will pump long distances. It will never add more water than you tell it to, and you don't have to turn it off during maintenance. Never has one failed, never.

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the apex atk, the extra 2 ports that are on the fmm for the atk I added 2 leak sensors.
mad for your tunze ato caked with kalk use barkeepers friend to clean it right up
I can't seem to find a "trust worthy" ATO. I'm currently running a reefbreeders that's not the prism, it's the magnet with the eye piece, and it's constantly missing the mark. My system is big enough that I usually catch it pretty quick. I'm running an apex but their ATO seems like waaaay too many pieces. I want something simple. I also have an old Tunze ozmolater laying around, but I think it's the nano version, it's also caked in kalkwasser (don't ask). So I guess I'm in the market for a new ATO. I've never found one that makes me warm and fuzzy.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.9%
Back