I hate mantis shrimp!!!!!!!!!

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so ive had my tank for almost a year now, and this morning i am super mad...

recently i added a sexy shrimp and a small cleaner shrimp, well one morning the lil sexy just up and disappeared... i had no clue who could of possibly killed him, so i decided to take out both my clown and my sixlined(he was attacking the cleaner) and only keep my small goby and other inverts in the tank... (i also removed a crab with black claws) so now i think im ready to begin my sexy shrimp tank, i buy 2 more sexys and one extra cleaner..
well last nite for some reason both my cleaners must of been smoking crack because they started attacking my GBTA so i remove both of them... so last night the only thing in the tank was my 2 sexys and my randalls goby (he is about an inch long)...

so this morning i woke up and no sexys are in sight.. i hear tiny clicking every now and again but i thought it might be my GF's tank next to mine cuz her hermits are always hitting there shells against the glass. but a few months ago i had to extract a mantis shrimp that came to my tank when my dad's tank crashed and he had a rock with some zoas on it and the mantis.. now i know the traits of mantis shrimp but i havent seen this one yet, anybody got any ideas on how to find him without taking every rock out of the tank and cracking it in half?? =]

so the worst choice i made coming into this hobby was buying live rock from GULF-VIEW.COM, the guy told me the mantis shrimp "werent in season" BULL ****!!!! ever since i went to that guy and got that rock it was nothing but problems, i found tons and tons of bad creatures all over these rocks... and i thought that i have finally extracted them all!!! but now im left to wonder what exactly is still in my tank..

just another case of not doing enough research before you purchase somthing in the marine aquarium hobby.. :sure:

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats why im doing 100% dry rock! you could possibly lure him out with food or look for it at nite with a red light. tie a some kite string to a piece of table shrimp or something and it should pull the food and string into where it lives. i personally haven't had a mantis shrimp so this is just my opinion. hope you get that lil-sucker.
greg

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to wait until I found mine hiding out in a top rock. As soon as he hid I took the rock out and freshwater dipped the side of the rock where his hideout was. He came flying out. Good luck. You could try some of the DIY traps like the bottle trap. It didn't work for me though.

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always loved using Gulf View when starting a tank because of all the amazing life that was on it. I remember pouring their live sand into my tank and seeing crabs, starfish and all sorts of critters tumble along beside it. It was such a treat and so much fun. Fast forward 12 months later and I'm in a desperate fight against bryposis, aitapsia and caulpera. It's definitely dry rock from here on.

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats why im doing 100% dry rock! you could possibly lure him out with food or look for it at nite with a red light. tie a some kite string to a piece of table shrimp or something and it should pull the food and string into where it lives. i personally haven't had a mantis shrimp so this is just my opinion. hope you get that lil-sucker.
greg

i havent found him or seen him yet.. but when i do idc if i have to cut the rock in half like last time... but he is coming out!

I had to wait until I found mine hiding out in a top rock. As soon as he hid I took the rock out and freshwater dipped the side of the rock where his hideout was. He came flying out. Good luck. You could try some of the DIY traps like the bottle trap. It didn't work for me though.

yea lol i think those bottle traps only work for cleaners and peppermints

good luck finding him...

yea i hear the clicking every now and then so im constantly on the look out.. lol

I always loved using Gulf View when starting a tank because of all the amazing life that was on it. I remember pouring their live sand into my tank and seeing crabs, starfish and all sorts of critters tumble along beside it. It was such a treat and so much fun. Fast forward 12 months later and I'm in a desperate fight against bryposis, aitapsia and caulpera. It's definitely dry rock from here on.

lol yea it would be great if you were only trying to keep a tank with just the live rock and its 10,000 creatures... but when you want to add corals and maybe some fish, stuff will start going missing and dieing.. the guy is one of my friend's dad, i went and hand picked all my stuff.. he is a good guy but people buying that rock will have alot of problems if they are trying to start a reef.. =]

Last edited by a moderator:

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a nice species dedicated tank, not so great in a reef tank;

MantisShrimp20May09.jpg

Try to lure the guy out and feeding time, by holding food in a feeder and passing it over the rocks. Once you lure it out, you can either remove the rock, or keep feeding it till he gets used to it. Once he's used to it, get him to grab onto the food, don't release it and lift him up and out of the tank.

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem for me was i couldnt locate it, all i could here was the clicking at night... id stare for hours, last week i took at all my rocks but one and i drilled in them and broke a few apart looking for it, NO luck. then today i got a lil angry and thought there was a possibility he was in the rock i did not check.. pulled it out and was lookin around on it, felt a tiny pop on my fingers and i flipped it over and saw this super tiny shrimp.. closer inspection i discovered my culprit, a baby pistol shrimp.. he is probably smaller if not the same size as the sexy shrimp "i think" he killed..

babypistol.jpg

babypistol1.jpg

fishypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose your tank with interceptor at 4x strength and watch him die.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW that really sucks. I vote when you find him he meets his doom!!!!!! Slowly for killing the sexy.......

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is the smallest pistol shrimp i have ever seen. Definitely your culprit and the source of your clicking sound. You gonna take him to a LFS or give him away?

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was gunna flush him, if anyone wants him let me know you can come by and pick him up..

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes to the porcelain express with him after all the trouble he caused and victims he took!

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awwww poor guy...he cant go in my tank but you shoud try to give him to a LFS. Maybe someone here can take him?!?

i hate the LFS they screwed me when i bought a pistol shrimp.. charged me 20$ and lied about what kind of pistol shrimp it was, then when i decided he was destrying my tank i took him back and they only gave me 5$ trade in... lol screw them, i aint gunna make them some more money.. somebody could definitely throw him in another tank with another pistol cuz i had a bigger one in there and he never killed him (although he was always hangin out around that lil guy's hole so maybe he was trying lol)...

yes to the porcelain express with him after all the trouble he caused and victims he took!

lol at least somone feels my pain!

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain, I have got crabzilla problems right now, he may meet the same fate if he dosent stop re-arranging my corals, bleached my blue acro and my tricolor by knocking them onto one another, broke my glue!

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
crabs are the worst, i got mine out a couple weeks ago.. hairy lil beast was eating on my zoas and pulling them down into his cave.. he met my step mom's yorkie like the rest of the crabs before they get flushed! =]

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine dosent bother my zoas or my clam he just powers through stuff like nobody's business. If he messes up one more piece, bye bye!

OP
OP
jiffy

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive said that so many times, lol ull be removing him tonite..

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back