I hate to be the bearer of bad news...

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this article about the effect of blue LEDs on the retina and on sleep patterns.

Summarizing the findings:
  1. They distinguish between acute and chronic exposure.
  2. Even chronic exposure can accelerate the aging of retinal tissue, contributing to a decline in visual acuity and certain degenerative diseases such as age-related macular degeneration.
  3. Blue LEDs interfere with body's circadian rhythm (causing sleep problems)
The original report is in French, but there is an English language opinion and summary.

My wife has age related macular degeneration. Fortunately, she is not a big fan of the tank and does not spend a lot of time staring at the tank. Now I won't question her indifference!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a long known issue that’s not discussed much, I can’t remember where but I saw pictures not to long ago where employees of a coral farm where all wearing blue blocking glasses while working on grow out tanks.

8B96BF53-32F0-4263-87FC-E9A6EF5885DC.jpeg

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, I notice vision issues after being close to the tank and looking in it for a long while. I've also noticed that if I'm wearing my glasses, my transition lenses actually start to darken, presumably from the UV (2 Radion G4 Pros).

I'm on the computer most of the day so that doesn't help. I do think the strong blue lighting and uv is something to be thoughtful of, especially if viewing in close proximity for extended periods.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a long known issue that’s not discussed much, I can’t remember where but I saw pictures not to long ago where employees of a coral farm where all wearing blue blocking glasses while working on grow out tanks.

I've started using those at night when I need to be on a computer screen. They are a blessing and my eyes are much happier.

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started using those at night when I need to be on a computer screen. They are a blessing and my eyes are much happier.
I'm not sure if you read the entire article, but they said that "blue blocker" type sunglasses don't really help :eek:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've frequently seen articles about the effect of blue LEDs (e.g. from cell phones and other screens) causing sleep problems. This is the first time I remember reading about retinal damage, which is a MUCH greater concern.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.preventblindness.org/blue-light-and-your-eyes

Seems like the tank (at least for me) would be the lowest point of exposure (we also have LED's in all of our light fixtures, etc). The Sun is the biggest source.. They recommend the 'glasses' as well.
My tank is predominatly lit by blue LEDs (along with T5s). I don't think it's a question of whether it is less than the exposure we get from the sun. It is additive to the sunlight exposure we have, and that could be enough to trigger retinal damage.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is predominatly lit by blue LEDs (along with T5s). I don't think it's a question of whether it is less than the exposure we get from the sun. It is additive to the sunlight exposure we have, and that could be enough to trigger retinal damage.
Right - I wasnt minimizing it - thats why I posted the article from preventblindness.org. I wasnt aware that there were so many sources.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if you read the entire article, but they said that "blue blocker" type sunglasses don't really help :eek:

I read that in the news article, but not in the translated summary on the report. Maybe the details are in full French report. Anyone know French? Also the article says 'efficacy of some "anti-blue light" filters'. I know from looking there are a ton of supposedly blue light filtering glasses that do no such thing. Lots of them a clear as opposed to yellow or orange. You've got to do research on which ones work and what frequency they block. I know some are used in industrial settings to protect against lasers and the such, and are rated accordingly.

Those Skypers are the good kind, and I can tell you if you look at blue LEDs they basically disappear when you have them on.

Last edited:

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to download f.lux on your computer mate :) it will automatically start filtering out blue light more and more as it gets later at night. I also use "twilight" on my phone as it is similar (although many phones have an inbuilt blue light filter these days).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back