I hate to be the bearer of bad news...

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, it depends upon dosage (that is blue light intensity (PPFD) and exposure time.) I haven't read the papers' conclusions, but tend to think weak output of various aquarium lamps (as compared to sunlight) would have a minimal negative effect on vision.
If my failing memory is correct, there was a similar warning in the 1960's about being too close to a TV. Of course I ignored it - LOL.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue light not only regulates the circadian rhythm of humans but also of fish, corals, algae, bacteria and many, many other organisms in between, likely the majority of all organisms. The regulation is based on pigments called cryptochromes. This article of Dana Riddle shows very good how weak (less than 0.01 µmol/m2/sec PAR) and how different from a blue LED natural full moon light really is, and this is only once in a month. Now compare it to the full sunlight and think about what you are doing to your fish and corals when a blue "moonlight", which is incredibly strong and blue compared to natural conditions, is "shining" each and every night.

Last edited:

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more of an alarmist article than anything. IPhone and Android phones come with "night mode" which adjusts the blue light on your display for this reason (article here).

It seems like the potential longterm danger of staring at a computer screen, phone screen, and TV for 8 hours a day has a much greater potential than looking at your aquarium. Does anyone stare directly into their tank LEDs for extended periods of time?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you who make their own Kefir (I do :)) are in advantage: Lactobacillus paracasei prevents blue light induced inflammation. Lactobacillus paracasei is also in Kefir and the yeasts of Kefir can enhance the probiotic effect of Lactobacillus paracasei.

Bad news for all others: Science still says that blue light induces macular degeneration. Visible light of 430 nm is most damaging, not UV. Please also keep in mind that the proportion of the blue light is important. If light is weak your iris will open up wider so the eye can get more light. If the proportion of blue light is high your retina will be exposed to a lot of blue light, no matter how intense the light in front of the eye is, in certain limits. The adjustment of the iris will override the effect of light intensity. So maybe it really is good advice to wear the yellow protective glasses. These reduce the proportion of blue light and let transmit all other wavelenghtes, so your iris will be closed far and further reduce blue light reaching your retina and macula.

Last edited:

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue light filtering lenses have been the big push in the optical world for a handful of years now. Every company that makes lenses has come out with their own version of "computer glasses" or "computer anti reflective lenses" or "blue light filtering lenses". Wherever you go for glasses you should have an option for some sort of blue light filter, some lenses out there block more than others but will have a yellow hue to them.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana, I even can see the stubbles on the back of your head which was not exposed to the X-rays. Isn´t that proof enough?;)

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t read the article, but noticed as I ordered contact lenses for my daughter that the are UV filtering. Both my and my wife’s glasses are UV filtering as well. How much of the effect is from the blue/violet spectrum vs the ultraviolet? Either way, I’m not going to lose sleep over this.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btwn pathogens in the water we drink,

to preservatives in everything we eat,

to breathing car and factory fumes into our lungs,

to healthcare costing $8,000 a year,

to NOW having to worry about blue UV rays burning our eyeballs out.....

....I'm surprised were all not the
W A L K I N G D E A D

lol

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the worst blue light when youre doing 85 mph:

police-lights-flashing-in-side-view-mirror-of-car_h1xo5ycs__F0000.png
HAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHA

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My baby blues have always been sensitive to light. All of my car windows are dark tinted and years ago I found that polarized amber lenses are awesome for me. I can actually see better with them on even when the sun light is not very bright and also when it’s raining. It’s like turning up the contrast on the tv. Everything is clearer, the grass is greener. I go nowhere without them, but never really put much thought into it being a reduction in blue light.

I have heard of other negative effects of led lighting, but mostly because they pulsate. Some worse than others. Cheap ones are really bad. You can video them in super slo-mo with your phone and see them flashing when you play it back. Some Leds give me a headache and this is what I attribute it to.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back