I hated this type of coral but now I love it! What and why is that?

Have you ever hated a certain coral that you now love to keep?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 52 29.4%
  • NO

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to love zoas but I’ve never had much success with them so I stopped buying them. Plus I had a huge multi color colony brown out so I don’t like them anymore.

Bry’sReeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love em all right now! I started out with zoas andthey did great out of the gate. Bad luck with my first anemone, but I changed a few things and now I have a BTA that’s really doing great! I honestly can’t say I hate any of them. I can’t wait to be able to get into some of the more challenging corals!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I like the fish more the corals have made it interesting
20210629_105655.jpg
20210628_181823.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have zero fascination in zoas, and even thought they were kind of ugly. Now, I’m just like everyone else, seeking out unique colors to make a fabulous garden. Unfortunately, zoas tend to do poorly in my tank, though palys grow like wildfire lol.
1625535889140.jpeg

1625536020877.jpeg

Last edited:

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In life and in the reef aquarium hobby, tastes change for various reasons! For me there were always those corals that so many loved that I hated and those that I loved that others hated. But now, at this point in my "reefing career" I find myself loving some of those corals I used to hate! Let's talk about that today!

PS. I used to HATE bounce mushrooms but now I love them! :p

1. What coral do you really like now that you used to really dislike?

2. Why do you think people's tastes for certain corals change?

Bounce Mushroom image via @ChaosAquaculture
1.jpg
i dont have any corals in my tank yet, but if there is one coral i hate at first but love later, its probably gonna be gorgonians. I'd hate them at first since they can be tricky, but i'd love them when i am able to keep them :p

Surf985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a bit more the opposite for me. I've had quite a few that I was obsessed with that I've gotten really annoyed with. (Mainly Favia/Brains and Pipe Organs. The favia has been hit or miss lately for who knows why, and the pipe organs...I think were my fault trying too early and dealing with algae issues when I first started the thing, but whatever. It's love/hate.)

ANYHOW. While it's not a coral and definitely not something I hated, I think my long tentacle anemone is probably the thing that comes to mind. I'd avoided anemones in fear of difficulty, and while I thought the bubble tips were cool, I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money and kill it on accident. So, I got this drab purple and dusty green tip anemone at PetCo for pretty cheap. Surprisingly, it settled exactly where I wanted it. Even better, I noticed it started to color up pretty quick, and I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out to be a green variety instead of the barely colored thing I bought.

Ironically, it appears to now be the largest and happiest living thing in the tank (minus the fish), and, even better, one of the least expensive ones too. Besides the fish, it's one of the first things friends and family notice and get excited about. It cant even retract without some friend (or my dad...) freaking out wondering where it went. I don't even know why I bought some of the more expensive corals I intended to be my showpieces (like that sweet and weird one in front of it). No one notices them lol. Just the 'nem. (Funny enough, rock flowers would probably be #2. I didn't get the point or think they were that interesting until I got a really freakin' sweet yellow one in a mystery bag from TSA, and now I'm looking at getting more. I got hooked...).

20210706_220046.jpg

Other than that, I actually got 2 corals the local shop sold as gorgonians for like $15 (one of them is in the back of the photo, and the other is a much thinner almost fan-like piece). I never really paid attention to them because the local shop that stocked them just had them dumped off to the side under bad lighting, and none of the other major central Florida vendors seemed to carry them. So it was really one of the few corals I skipped right over. While they aren't exactly spectacular or even something I find myself staring at mesmerized, I'd actually advocate getting one. They're not expensive, easy to care for, and they're just not that common in the tanks I've seen. Definitely recommend once you get an established tank!

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would strongly suggest staying away from Xenia, Clove Polyps and pocillopora. Took many hours over a few months but I am 99% sure I was finally able get rid of my Xenia, but blue Clove Polyps (which I never added but came in some where) and pocillopora are taking over my tank. In my setup, both will be next to impossible to eliminate.
Blue clove polyps problem has been solved. Check out this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/eliminating-blue-clove-polyps-with-fenbendazole.308994/

tltruitt8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to hate bounce mushrooms and now I'm starting to really like them. I just picked up a OG Bouce on Friday. Can't wait to see the growth.
Oh my! My first reaction to bounce mushrooms was “what the heck” is that? But they grow on you. They’re unusual and quite an interesting addition to your reef. Looking forward to introducing at least one or two to my tank.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back