I hated this type of coral but now I love it! What and why is that?

Have you ever hated a certain coral that you now love to keep?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 52 29.4%
  • NO

Votes: 119 67.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to hate bounce mushrooms and now I'm starting to really like them. I just picked up a OG Bouce on Friday. Can't wait to see the growth.

Attachments

• 20210702_190807.jpg
    20210702_190807.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210702_190755.jpg
    20210702_190755.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210704_212047.jpg
    20210704_212047.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210704_212110.jpg
    20210704_212110.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 22

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms had some nondescript green mushrooms completely take over my 75 before it bursted a seam. Hated them spent hours picking out the little babies in the sand flushing them down the toilet. Now I like them because my current ones aren't growing quite that crazy... Yet.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What coral do you really like now that you used to really dislike?
Zoas. We swore we'd never have zoas. We are now up to 4 different zoas and want more! So many wonderful colors!

zoa.jpg

2. Why do you think people's tastes for certain corals change?

Knowledge has been the biggest factor for me. When I first started in the hobby I knew of three different types of coral: toadstool, kenya tree, xenia. Now I've seen so many amazing corals that can be kept and I've learned that many of those are not much more difficult than my original softies! I love corals!

Tmrvstyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids, never cared much before for them, but have an angel that won't let me keep them so there are so many more types now if like to keep more but angel says yummy

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently upgraded my tank and doubled my real estate. When I was planning the tank I had all these plans for high end euphyllia and SPS, but recently I’ve really taken a shine to easier soft corals, such as gorgonians, finger leathers, polyps and toadstools, which I felt were for beginners. I even like the “boring” brown coloured variants

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In life and in the reef aquarium hobby, tastes change for various reasons! For me there were always those corals that so many loved that I hated and those that I loved that others hated. But now, at this point in my "reefing career" I find myself loving some of those corals I used to hate! Let's talk about that today!

PS. I used to HATE bounce mushrooms but now I love them! :p

1. What coral do you really like now that you used to really dislike?

2. Why do you think people's tastes for certain corals change?

Bounce Mushroom image via @ChaosAquaculture
1.jpg
I am new to starting corals and I always seems to have better luck with difficult fish but have not tried LPS or SPS corals and my heart is really set on doing all soft corals simply because they are supposed to be easy to care for and do not require all the elements that LPS and SPS corals do. As time goes by I might change and do a mixed reef. I cannot say that there really are any corals that I hate or dislike at this time.

xinyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dislike euphyllia thought they where to big and popular . But lately in my most recent tank i started keeping torches for the first time and now love them they grow smaller then other euphyllia and looks so nice. I love the tips

Attachments

• 20210629_192609.jpg
    20210629_192609.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 29

phillybean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids have been that coral for me. I used to hate that there were so many different varieties and they all looked the same in shape but had different morphs and some are slightly distinguishable and had a major difference in price because of it and on and on. Once I put them in my tank to ease into the hobby and taking care of corals, I realized how stunning some of them are under the blue lights. They’re not my favorite but they’re in the top 5.
91213311-3D2A-4035-86DF-24BA0ACE8C2A.jpeg

Similar to this, this was me and pulsing xenia. Mine decided they never wanted to pulse and so now they’re just an invasive coral (luckily they’re on an island and I only got 2 frags for 10 dollars). Should have gone with clove polyps. May remove it and do that if I can find them.

I would strongly suggest staying away from Xenia, Clove Polyps and pocillopora. Took many hours over a few months but I am 99% sure I was finally able get rid of my Xenia, but blue Clove Polyps (which I never added but came in some where) and pocillopora are taking over my tank. In my setup, both will be next to impossible to eliminate.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly suggest staying away from Xenia, Clove Polyps and pocillopora. Took many hours over a few months but I am 99% sure I was finally able get rid of my Xenia, but blue Clove Polyps (which I never added but came in some where) and pocillopora are taking over my tank. In my setup, both will be next to impossible to eliminate.
I have my Xenia on an island about 3 inches away from everything and I’m picking up the black eggs or rocks or whatever they drop to spread as soon as I see them.

phillybean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Xenia on an island about 3 inches away from everything and I’m picking up the black eggs or rocks or whatever they drop to spread as soon as I see them.

That's good, my rock was set up to be 2 large islands, but somehow the Xenia spread, I thought I got all of it, but then almost a year later found it after I upgraded, was growing on a rock, in a cave, with minimal light. It seems that everything I consider "invasive" and try to get rid of, happens to be my wife's favorite lol

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good, my rock was set up to be 2 large islands, but somehow the Xenia spread, I thought I got all of it, but then almost a year later found it after I upgraded, was growing on a rock, in a cave, with minimal light. It seems that everything I consider "invasive" and try to get rid of, happens to be my wife's favorite lol
I got it 2 weeks ago and I already see some new stalks starting to form on the island. Unfortunately, it hasn’t started pulsing, although I’m testing different spots in the tank.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it 2 weeks ago and I already see some new stalks starting to form on the island. Unfortunately, it hasn’t started pulsing, although I’m testing different spots in the tank.
Lower flow is best for pulsing. In higher flow they don't need to, so they won't as much. The flow moves the water that the pulsing is intended move. The enhanced flow from pulsing helps reduce the chance of refiltering the same water. This allows a large increase in photosynthesis. (at least that's what the smart science people say)

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower flow is best for pulsing. In higher flow they don't need to, so they won't as much. The flow moves the water that the pulsing is intended move. The enhanced flow from pulsing helps reduce the chance of refiltering the same water. This allows a large increase in photosynthesis. (at least that's what the smart science people say)
Yeah that’s what I’m experimenting with. It’s tough though because all of the low flow areas are not making it pulse. And I’m limited on places to put it because I have it on an island

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodness... I used to blast chalices so much for being "boring" corals LOL! Once I learned how cool they could be they quickly became a favorite
2R1A9808.jpg
What are your top chalice tips to keep them happy and growing? Haven’t tried one but I’m loving the colors here

csnmusic02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was I was not a fan of corals at all always had my predator Fowlr tanks but gf wanted corals so she got my old 120 we did corals and I haven’t looked back since

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 49.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 56 54.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.8%
Back