I have 0 phosphates and nitrates (no problem algae or cryno to absorb it) is this a problem if left untreated?

Frostynipps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By API test and others I have no phosphates or nitrates now after replacing tap with RODI water and cleaning my gravel bed.
My corals are not growing very much these days (softies zoas a 2 mushroom leathers a finger leather and 2 SPS and a few cup corals) I think the tests are close to accurate.
Im not using a protein skimmer and I haven't performed a water change in over 2 weeks because im tracking calcium, alk, Mg daily for a month.
I target feed washed frozen brine shrimp and live baby brine shrimp above my corals to the clowns and CUC daily (most of the time) and the corals and filter feeders a mix of Coral frenzy, Brightwell aquatics amino acids drops, protoplasm and zoo plankton a few times a week after the tap water switch.
I may be using too much Chemipure elite but I don't want to remove it all at the same time I don't know what would happen.
Ive been using Chemipure Elite, 11.74-Ounce for up to 50 gallons on a 5 month old 32 gallon biocube I was wondering if this is to powerful for my system. I did not intend to have a low nutrient tank I think its better then the alternative.
Chemipure has smaller sizes one for 10g and under, up to 25g, up to 50g (I use this one), up to75g.
Any thoughts on what to do

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let your tank mature. It will creep up over time and then you will have to battle to keep them down. It's a balancing act. In the meantime, you can always dose P and N or feed some flake/pellets. Just watch the phosphates.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will struggle to keep corals without Nitrates and Phosphates. I'd stop using that Chemipure and use the one without Phosphate binding media.

At the 30 minute mark, he talks about the relationship between Nitrates and Phosphates in Corals. He was also in a ReefDudes youtube live stream about carbon dosing, where they talk more in depth about Nitrates and Phosphates.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might switch out the Chemipure for carbon (I did on low phosphates) as it's much cheaper. Maybe add a day or two (or three) per week of broadcast feeding instead of targeting

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back