I have a 20 Gallon Nano reef tank

captnpules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started 2 months ago, i just added the first corals they seem good but now i have some red hair algae in the sand, I am assuming my phos[hates are high but I am concerned with flow. How much flow should I have and should the powerhead be towards the front or back of the cube? Bonus question what is a better Phosphate checker the Hanna Phosphate or the ULR phosphorus?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red algae could be cyano, do you have any pictures of it? I use the Hanna phosphate ultra low range product it works great for detecting low ranges of PO4. I would think that one would be great for you.

Ed olson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow depends on what type of corals you have. Softies lower flow, lps medium to high flow, sps high flow. What are you using for flow?

OP
OP
C

captnpules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow depends on what type of corals you have. Softies lower flow, lps medium to high flow, sps high flow. What are you using for flow?
Mobius Vortech 10. It running about 700gph and only at 20% power. I plan on keeping mostly softies and lps.

Ed olson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a skimmer running? What coral did you put in there? Also, it's a newer tank and most tanks will go through the initial nasty phase, in which algae is the main culprit. Any fish? If so what are you feeding and how often/much? What is your lighting like?

OP
OP
C

captnpules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mobius Vortech 10. It
The red algae could be cyano, do you have any pictures of it? I use the Hanna phosphate ultra low range product it works great for detecting low ranges of PO4. I would think that one would be great for you.
Do you have a skimmer running? What coral did you put in there? Also, it's a newer tank and most tanks will go through the initial nasty phase, in which algae is the main culprit. Any fish? If so what are you feeding and how often/much? What is your lighting like?
I have a icecap skimmer and a ai light with world wide coral presets on it. I have 2 clowns and a damsel with a Dunkin’. Pulsating Zena, trumpet coral and a Aussie lord. I have t changed out my carbon yet that may be causing the issue, all my water levels check in range accept I haven’t checked phosphate yet. With all water level in range I was thinking a flow issue, I need to get the phosphate checked tomorrow.

Attachments

• 157966DC-8485-4691-B697-E996C6F2B03B.jpeg
    157966DC-8485-4691-B697-E996C6F2B03B.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 23

Ed olson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep some flow near the sand bed to help keep detritus in the water column and picked up by the skimmer. Water changes work wonders. And definitely change out that carbon. How are the corals doing? Is the Xenia pulsing?

OP
OP
C

captnpules

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep some flow near the sand bed to help keep detritus in the water column and picked up by the skimmer. Water changes work wonders. And definitely change out that carbon. How are the corals doing? Is the Xenia pulsing?
Corals look good and zena is pulsating. I change water tomorrow and move power head lower.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back