I have a biocube 32 and was wondering what the best filtration would be for my media basket

Doge14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s my first salt water tank and I’m 4 days in. The only thing I have now is the standard carbon filter it came with and chemi pure blue right underneath should I put a poly filter first or like filter floss then the chemi pure blue? I have 3 slots available. Any suggestions is helpful

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take alook at eheim substrate pro. They can be put in a small mesh bag and are good for biological filtration. You can take them out and shake them in old tank water when you do a water change to remove any accumulated detrius.
I use 3 liters in my 120's sump in a mesh bag.
They are inexspensive too imo.
Here is what mine look like in my sump.
20200223_121526.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss first and change at least twice a week as it will trap alot of detrius. Poly filter is ok but not really needed imo. Get some quality carbon and small mesh bags for it.
The chemipure blue is good.
And....
giphy (1).gif

OP
OP
Doge14

Doge14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss first and change at least twice a week as it will trap alot of detrius. Poly filter is ok but not really needed imo. Get some quality carbon and small mesh bags for it.
The chemipure blue is good.
And....
giphy (1).gif
Appreciate it man looks like I’ll be picking up some filter floss tomarrow any particular brand of carbon u recommend?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it man looks like I’ll be picking up some filter floss tomarrow any particular brand of carbon u recommend?
I run ROX 0.8 from brs. A little goes along way.
Next would be seachem matrix which is found at most pet stores. It's what I ran before going to ROX 0.8.

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intank filter floss (stuff is cheap and good) in the top, bag of SeaChem matrix, bag of purigen and Chemipure Elite in the bottom. Then I stuffed more rubble rock and SeaChem matrix next to the media basket.

OP
OP
Doge14

Doge14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intank filter floss (stuff is cheap and good) in the top, bag of SeaChem matrix, bag of purigen and Chemipure Elite in the bottom. Then I stuffed more rubble rock and SeaChem matrix next to the media basket.
Did u keep the carbon filter it came with on the top?

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the BioCube 16. I do not use the carbon cartridges. The ChemiPure has plenty of carbon in it and there are more economical and better carbon choices than those Coralife cartridges. If your first chamber has the false
floor in it, you can remove that. Great spot for your heater.

absowry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not. All the plastic came out of the second chamber in the back. It's one giant open chamber now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back