I have a cherub angel in my 13.5 evo. He seems fine no aggression.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns a watchmen goby and newest edition warpaint clown goby. I added the cherub angel almost a month ago so far he seems to like swimming around the tank no aggression twoards the two clowns and watchmen. Sometimes I see him chase the clown goby. But haven’t recently. I know cherubs a lot of people say they need 40+ gallons. But I see no problem here. What are you’re guys thoughts??? D6F362E8-5C18-4D23-9D03-71B88AE644A0.jpeg
Beautiful fish! I had one of these little ones, she passed from brook. I personally think a 13.5 is too small for clowns the angel and goby long term. I would say upgrading to a 32 at minimum would be the best. Mine was in a 32 with two clowns and a few small gobies and she for sure used all the space. Most people say at least 40 cause they need a lot of mature rock to pick from during the day. Your cherub will be about 3 inches max. When you combine that with the adult size of the clowns and goby, you will have a hefty bioload in that tank. I think as long as you have a plan to upgrade down the road they are good for now! I had mine in a 32 biocube, not super expensive for amazon and its designed for corals so its goot a good filter and lights! Just my personal thoughts. Im glad your tank is doing very well :)

OP
OP
Nanoreefer1999

Nanoreefer1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish! I had one of these little ones, she passed from brook. I personally think a 13.5 is too small for clowns the angel and goby long term. I would say upgrading to a 32 at minimum would be the best. Mine was in a 32 with two clowns and a few small gobies and she for sure used all the space. Most people say at least 40 cause they need a lot of mature rock to pick from during the day. Your cherub will be about 3 inches max. When you combine that with the adult size of the clowns and goby, you will have a hefty bioload in that tank. I think as long as you have a plan to upgrade down the road they are good for now! I had mine in a 32 biocube, not super expensive for amazon and its designed for corals so its goot a good filter and lights! Just my personal thoughts. Im glad your tank is doing very well :)
Hey guys so I didn’t have seven fish. I had the cherub angel, two clowns, watchmen goby and a green clown goby. There was no agrression towards any of them except the angel would chase the new guy(green clown goby). But I brought the cherub angel back to the lfs. Sooooo. Two clowns, a watchmen/pistol shrimp and the clown war paint goby. I think is very good in my 13.5 fluval evo. Agreed?

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I didn’t have seven fish. I had the cherub angel, two clowns, watchmen goby and a green clown goby. There was no agrression towards any of them except the angel would chase the new guy(green clown goby). But I brought the cherub angel back to the lfs. Sooooo. Two clowns, a watchmen/pistol shrimp and the clown war paint goby. I think is very good in my 13.5 fluval evo. Agreed?
IMO, no. The two clowns, fully grown and especially if they pair up, will be two much. They will also become more aggressive. However you have time so would seriously recommend trying to grow your tank size along with them.

OP
OP
Nanoreefer1999

Nanoreefer1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, no. The two clowns, fully grown and especially if they pair up, will be two much. They will also become more aggressive. However you have time so would seriously recommend trying to grow your tank size along with them.
Yes I plan on getting a bigger tank long term. But I’ve seen a pair of full grown occ clowns In a 20g with watchmen gong and one other small fish. So I think it will be fine.

OP
OP
Nanoreefer1999

Nanoreefer1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I plan on getting a bigger tank long term. But I’ve seen a pair of full grown occ clowns In a 20g with watchmen gong and one other small fish. So I think it will be fine.
Also my clowns are in love with my watchmen goby. In fact every time my watchmen and pistol come out my clowns both chill right next to them both like their four buddies hanging out on a Saturday. lol. It’s awesome

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my clowns are in love with my watchmen goby. In fact every time my watchmen and pistol come out my clowns both chill right next to them both like their four buddies hanging out on a Saturday. lol. It’s awesome
Good choice on removing the cherub! If you had the correct nem for the clowns they will stay in the nem and not move far from it.
That size tank I would only keep the clowns and one or 2 other fish, like the gobys and you should be fine.
I have a 30g 24x20x18 with 3"+ sand bed.
One pair of breeding false perculas and 1 chalk bass.
20230513_154530.jpg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good move returning the angel. Just keep an eye on the clowns over time. If they start breeding, the female could change from besties with your gobies to murder spree overnight. An upgrade when you see that kind of behavior starting highly advised.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish in a 12g for a few years, so not far off from your 13.5g. As mentioned above, the female will get large and aggressive. I just enjoyed the pair by themselves until she got too big for the system at ~3-3/4" TL and then moved them on to much larger quarters.

As far as the Cherub, they are so tempting for a small nano when small (way back I tried one, but it didn't make it more than a few months even with a highly varied diet). So IME/IMO they really do need larger quarters to do well over the long term (they can easily live well over 10 years).

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this thread where you say you also have a Royal Gramma?

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...w-days-do-you-guys-think-he’s-alright.984603/

Did it die?

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Nanoreefer1999

Nanoreefer1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you actually read that post. The gramma died. Never came out of the hole he hid in. And when I had the gramma I only had the watchmen and clowns.

So you've lost or had to remove almost a half dozen fish already. Maybe it's time to upgrade, or slow down? Seems like you are putting a lot of these animals in a bad spot.

OP
OP
Nanoreefer1999

Nanoreefer1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you actually read that post. The gramma died. Never came out of the hole he hid in. And when I had the gramma I only had the watchmen and clowns.
With all of the inconsistencies, I don't believe anything OP says.
So you've lost or had to remove almost a half dozen fish already. Maybe it's time to upgrade, or slow down? Seems like you are putting a lot of these animals in a bad spot.
I returned the blenny, sixline and the cherub. The only three and the gramma looked super skinny when I got him he never came out the hole he hid in and never ate.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I returned the blenny, sixline and the cherub. The only three and the gramma looked super skinny when I got him he never came out the hole he hid in and never ate.

Right - that's the equivalent of returning/losing a fish every 1.5 months or so if your tank was just set up about 6 months ago. Not a good pace.

Let things settle in a bit, it's not a race, and it's not just about what you want, it's about trying to allow your livestock to thrive.

OP
OP
Nanoreefer1999

Nanoreefer1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right - that's the equivalent of returning/losing a fish every 1.5 months or so if your tank was just set up about 6 months ago. Not a good pace.

Let things settle in a bit, it's not a race, and it's not just about what you want, it's about trying to allow your livestock to thrive.
I’ve had the tank for over a year. lol.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the tank for over a year. lol.

You've still had more lifestock issues than most reefers have in a lifetime. Before I got back into the hobby, I was in it for 5 years, had 40+ fish, only had 1 pass away and never had to return any. It's really not that difficult. If you want to keep making selfish decisions, go for it, but people here aren't going to tell you it's ok just to make you feel better about it.

It's not rocket science. Reccomendations from long time hobbysits exists for good reason, even if they rub you the wrong way because "you really want that fish".

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back