I have a few ideas I wanted to get some advice on

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge idea guy, and love DIY. Here are a few ideas I have.

1. Using something similar to a in display refugium. A breeder box made of clear acrylic with many holes. Having some Dragons breath, Gracilaria, or another edible algae. The algae should grow through the holes. The fish could eat the growth that comes out of the holes, but the majority of the algae would be safe inside the box. That way it could function as an automatic live feeding station.

2. Using food grade epoxy to coat objects to use as decorations. I found a really nice Poseidon statue but it's brass. A solid water proof epoxy should seel it and prevent it from leaching anything.

3. Phytoplankton harvest. I was thinking I could use a screen that was small enough to stop the phytoplankton from going through. I'm having trouble finding a screen small enough to allow water but not phytoplankton. I'm not talking filter like in an rodi filter. Something like a brine shrimp screen smaller openings.

4. Same as before but with zooplankton. I wanted screens that would prevent the adult from passing through but allow the juvenile through. I'm meaning with rotifer, copepods, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp.

5. Using macro algae with phytoplankton that copepods will eat in the copepods culture. I think they eat sea lettuce.

6. Using multiple breeds of phytoplankton, rotifer, and copepods in each culture. That way the coral and my dragonets have some variety to their food like they would find in nature.

7. Using a feeding dish with a Copepods hotel in the middle with an acrylic pipe leading down to deliver Copepods directly to the hotel. This will be for my dragonets. Since they are a slow eater. I could even add baby brine to the tube once the Dragonet gets used to the feeding dish.

8. Using a portable mini fridge and a bubbler to keep the phytoplankton and rotifer blind cold and alive. This in junction with a doser to feed every hour like WWC. I found a cheap 12v drink fridge with a perfect clear acrylic window in the front I could drill through for the tubes.

9. Using the same PAR, water parameters and temp as the display tank in my QT tank. That way I won't have to do a 2nd acclimation going from QT to display. Also using a UVC light in the filter for the QT.

10. Using WiFi cameras and microscopes to help with QT as well as the food cultures. I know about using a filter. I even found a 1000x WiFi microscope.

I think that's enough ideas for today. I can think of many more I could add to the list. Like using ocean waves white noise machine to help with the calming of the fish and inverts (not sure if coral can hear but deaf people can feel sound). The point is to make it as close to nature as possible. I even thought I could use a nozzle on my auto top off to spray water on the surface of the display tank to simulate rain. It wouldn't use that much pressure and it would only happen when the auto top off is active.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a fan.
Thanks, I even have an idea to use phytoplankton and macro algae to filter CO2 on a large scale. Using fish we can eat that eat algae to close the loop. The fish would feed the algae with their waste, the algae would not just filter CO2 but also feed the fish. Then we can also eat the fish.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good ideas. My thoughts:

1) I like this idea but make sure you account for some way to clean the box or it will get covered with coraline.

2) This could work but not worth the risk imo. Any little nick in the coating and you have a problem. I'd just make a mold and re-create the statue with reef safe materials. TAP plastics sells mold-making materials

3) I've tried but not suceeded in mechanically filtering phyto. 5micron should filter tetraselmis and yet much of the phyto gets through, plus it takes forever to drain. I use a centrifuge instead, which works very well.

4) Yes filtering copepods works. I use 120micron filters to seperate nauplii. You can use other sizes depending on species and size of interest. 250micron gets most adult tig pods. Tisbe are smaller so use 100 to 200. Also it's not 100% so expect some mixing

5) I tried this too, lol. Copepods do not eat ulva or any macro algae. They will live in it happy enough but it didn't seem to affect my culture density at all. You can co-culture edible macro algae (for tangs or whatever) and copepods

6) In my experience eventually one species gets the upper hand and takes over. Kind of a crap-shoot who wins but it won't be a co-culture forever. Rotifers compete with copepod nauplii for food and reproduce way faster so they can starve out copepods. However adult copepods eat rotifers so it depends. Tig adults seem to eat anything small, even other copepods' young so I would bet on them in most cases

7) i have seen something like that, but never tried it myself. I think reefbuilders have an article

8) seems like it should work

9) also seems like a fine idea

10) gotta have a microscope to culture phyto or pods. One of the most important tools I have

Last edited:
OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good ideas. My thoughts:

1) I like this idea but make sure you account for some way to clean the box or it will get covered with coraline.

2) This could work but not worth the risk imo. Any little nick in the coating and you have a problem. I'd just make a mold and re-create the statue with reef safe materials. TAP plastics sells mold-making materials

3) I've tried but not suceeded in mechanically filtering phyto. 5micron should filter tetraselmis and yet much of the phyto gets through, plus it takes forever to drain. I use a centrifuge instead, which works very well.

4) Yes filtering copepods works. I use 120micron filters to seperate nauplii. You can use other sizes depending on species and size of interest. 250micron gets most adult tig pods. Tisbe are smaller so use 100 to 200. Also it's not 100% so expect some mixing

5) I tried this too, lol. Copepods do not eat ulva or any macro algae. They will live in it happy enough but it didn't seem to affect my culture density at all. You can co-culture edible macro algae (for tangs or whatever) and copepods

6) In my experience eventually one species gets the upper hand and takes over. Kind of a crap-shoot who wins but it won't be a co-culture forever. Rotifers compete with copepod nauplii for food and reproduce way faster so they can starve out copepods. However adult copepods eat rotifers so it depends. Tig adults seem to eat anything small, even other copepods' young so I would bet on them in most cases

7) i have seen something like that, but never tried it myself. I think reefbuilders have an article

8) seems like it should work

9) also seems like a fine idea

10) gotta have a microscope to culture phyto or pods. One of the most important tools I have
Thank you for the helpful advice.

On 2 I've been thinking the same thing. I did find one that was molded using aquarium safe epoxy that looks ok. Probably would be better because it won't leach anything and it isn't really flashy like the other. I would hate to draw attention away from the live stock.

On 6 I always wondered if copepods would eat rotifers. I was planning on keeping them separate. A culture for phytoplankton, another separate culture for rotifers, then copepods and ect. I was expecting the brine and mysis shrimp to eat the rotifers anyway.

What are your thoughts on simulating the sound of waves and possibly rain in the display tank? I'm thinking the rain might be too complicated to do and could cause the water to splash out of the tank. I still think added a sound generator would be helpful. At least to set a calming mood.

Bph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Putting any type of coating on any type of metal is not a good idea in my opinion. You have several good ideas, as for the fine mesh screen for rotifers/pods etc it would be almost impossible to keep clean enough for the juveniles to go through, I just think it would be more of a pain than what it's worth just my opinion, good luck let use know how it all works out. Happy Reefing B.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back