I have algae, hardly any coralline and can "grow sps"

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I just want to say, the advice that a tank is only ready for SPS when there is coralline I believe is not true.

For some facts,
My tank was started with dry rock. I've had a persistent hair algae problem until I increased clean up crew and did manual removals. And I only dose kalkwasser currently + reef crystals.

I'm not saying my tank grows sps super fast, I have little to compare it to. But I can grow montiporas, a couple acros and some encrusting "sps" (that I consider lps because they consume meaty foods). I guess I could supply a picture, but the truth is the truth: you don't need coralline to grow montiporas and some sps.

What you really need is light IME.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I just want to say, the advice that a tank is only ready for SPS when there is coralline I believe is not true.

For some facts,
My tank was started with dry rock. I've had a persistent hair algae problem until I increased clean up crew and did manual removals. And I only dose kalkwasser currently + reef crystals.

I'm not saying my tank grows sps super fast, I have little to compare it to. But I can grow montiporas, a couple acros and some encrusting "sps" (that I consider lps because they consume meaty foods). I guess I could supply a picture, but the truth is the truth: you don't need coralline to grow montiporas and some sps.

How old is tank? How long sps been in it?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For some facts,

TBH I don't think I've ever heard someone say you wont grow SPS without Coraline.

It's more of an indicator, and maybe some people use it to literally?

Generally if your tank is growing healthy coraline though, it's a good indicator that your Alk, Cal, and Mag are in the right ranges for SPS.

Says nothing for your Nitrates or Phosphates though, so on the reverse if you're only using coraline as an indicator for SPS you're also crazy :D.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back