I have an issue no one else has…

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason why some of my rock is white and some is live is because I added more dry rock a month ago but the rest of the rock is live. I have Red Sea alkalinity test but may consider Hanna. I have a Hanna Phosphate ULR checker though
hanna alk test is much better and accurate

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d appreciate if you take the time to read this.
So this is kinda disappointing if this is just the way it’ll always be. I have never found anyone with this issue or knows about this issue on several of the threads I have made about it and the amount of research I have spent on it. So I want to try once more until I find answers and solutions. So my tank is 5 months old, and Coraline is starting to grow, but not in its usual form. I have a ton of Green coraline. I started with 15 lbs of live rock, then a month ago, I added about 15 lbs of dry rock (green coraline was growing before this).
0F877F24-00F8-4D8F-99D9-6BEC037F8E44.jpeg

There is only one rock in my aquarium that has purple/pink coraline on it, and it has taken off too, but not as much as this green coraline. I’m unsure if it’s my light or what. I did a test too. I got a small piece of live rock that had pink coraline algae and purple coraline algae (different pieces of rock that we’re in my back chambers of Biocube). I took the rock and put one on top of the aquarium and the other on the sandbed. Both of them grew green coraline on top of their pink and purple coraline in a matter of a month. There’s only a few tiny spots of pink coraline on the back wall but 99% of it is green coraline. Any comments, answers, and solutions are highly appreciated. If you did, thanks for reading through this long thing btw
I actually have those green splotches too, but I didn't realize it was corraline-are you sure? I just assumed it was some other type of algae junk. I don't have as much as you, though. I do have some traditional purple corraline as well, but I wouldn't say it's "taken off". My tank is a year old.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason why some of my rock is white and some is live is because I added more dry rock a month ago but the rest of the rock is live. I have Red Sea alkalinity test but may consider Hanna. I have a Hanna Phosphate ULR checker though
I could see the live rock under the white base rock, that is what I was getting at. That live rock really only looks like my dry rock after a few months in a tank with really mature live rock. Some day you will curse all the purple algae making a mess on pumps and glass. You will look back at this "problem" and laugh.

The hannah Alk checker is just so easy it makes keeping on that fairly critical marker simple. Easier it is to do, the more likely you are to do it. Nobody wants to do titration tests every day.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see the live rock under the white base rock, that is what I was getting at. That live rock really only looks like my dry rock after a few months in a tank with really mature live rock. Some day you will curse all the purple algae making a mess on pumps and glass. You will look back at this "problem" and laugh.

The hannah Alk checker is just so easy it makes keeping on that fairly critical marker simple. Easier it is to do, the more likely you are to do it. Nobody wants to do titration tests every day.
Believe me, I’m doing the same with the green coraline on my glass if I don’t keep up with scraping.
I actually have those green splotches too, but I didn't realize it was corraline-are you sure? I just assumed it was some other type of algae junk. I don't have as much as you, though. I do have some traditional purple corraline as well, but I wouldn't say it's "taken off". My tank is a year old.
Yeah I have done extensive research on it and it is. I think the reason why it has been happening is because I was changing my salinity from 1.024-.026 over the past 2 months and some water changes may have changed salinity much more than others. I think it grows better than purple coraline in less stable environments but can also grow in stable (not saying yours isn’t stable because you have purple coraline but just what I have figured) I’m starting to get white splotches on my back wall now which I believe will turn pink.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so now it’s a new issue with coralline. I have kept my salinity at 1.026 ever since I got it up there (probably about a month and half or two months ago I can’t remember) and now all the green coraline is starting to turn white. Good thing is, I have started to notice a lot more purple coraline on my rocks. But, I also have this gray coraline on my rocks as well. Here’s what it looks like now:
image.jpg

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so now it’s a new issue with coralline. I have kept my salinity at 1.026 ever since I got it up there (probably about a month and half or two months ago I can’t remember) and now all the green coraline is starting to turn white. Good thing is, I have started to notice a lot more purple coraline on my rocks. But, I also have this gray coraline on my rocks as well. Here’s what it looks like now:
image.jpg
Coralline comes in many shades and colors, and one of the fastest growing encrusting coralline species likely to be encountered in aquaria are green in color and may make you think you have a type of nuisance algae growing on your rocks. You can distinguish green coralline algae from film algae by testing its hardness, coralline should not come off easily when toothbrushed. Fast growing green coralline algae usually takes up residence on bare rock, and is often later engulfed by epiphytic coralline algae that have "better coloring" like reds, pinks and purples.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that's a quote from Reef cleaners, but I have seen coralline that was bleached with H202 get used as a substrate for new coralline.
No one can predict what will happen with your tank, that rock could have brown wafer algae on it just waiting to take off.

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 month old AIO is covered with that same green Coraline algae.

I can start to see some specks of purple/pink slowly forming on top of the green Coraline algae on the rocks.

The new purple/pink specks forming are brightly fluorescent under blue light for about a day and then it turns to a solid purple or pink color, and loses the fluorescence.

Interestingly on my powerhead it started getting purple speck without going green first.

I don't have any on the glass, but that could be due to cleaning the glass daily

Also I never got the white, The rocks went from green -> purple directly

tempImage3gjFLy.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 month old AIO is covered with that same green Coraline algae.

I can start to see some specks of purple/pink slowly forming on top of the green Coraline algae on the rocks.

The new purple/pink specks forming are brightly fluorescent under blue light for about a day and then it turns to a solid purple or pink color, and loses the fluorescence.

Interestingly on my powerhead it started getting purple speck without going green first.

I don't have any on the glass, but that could be due to cleaning the glass daily

Also I never got the white, The rocks went from green -> purple directly

tempImage3gjFLy.jpg
My back wall in completely white now and there’s more purple specks of coraline. I sense this white will turn into purple. This white took over the green whenever I finally stabilized my salinity (I was raising it). This may be your issue but who knows. It’s a rarely discussed subject because this isn’t really normal. So if you’re salinity levels aren’t stable, I guess get a better hydrometer/refractometer, like the tropic Marin, get that salinity at the same spot every time and it may change. Who knows what the issue may be though. Your salinity levels may never shift more than .0002-.0006
Ocean levels are lower then that. His numbers are ok but on the lower end.
haven’t raised them because I for one don’t have that many corals that take in the big three and I planned to have an LPS and softie dominated tank so I’m not too worried about it, at least for now

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back